So it was suggested by a few of our ASMs that we should have more adult activities.  By that, I don't mean "risqué" activities, but more things for the leaders to do; training exercises, helping earn knots, etc.  It was suggested that we form our own leader patrol.  I can definitely see the fun in this as long as it doesn't take the focus off of the youth.  Our troop is very youth oriented and boy-run so I don't think that that should be a problem.  It would give the more experienced leaders the ability to help the others learn skills that would help our youth (you would be surprised how many leaders can't tie the basic knots required for youth advancement and merit badges).   Do any of you do this in your troops?  Any suggestions that might help?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have the 'Old Gray Hair Patrol,' complete with a patch! When I become scoutmaster here in a couple weeks I plan to take our patrol a few steps farther and make sure we all have scout to 1st class s

I have mixed feelings..... If not very careful, the idea crosses a line.... well maybe it crosses that line anyway.....   Scouting is a game for boys, with the aim of building character.  It's real

Go ahead, bring your pop-up camper. We're hiking five miles through rocks and bogs to pitch our tent. No motorized vehicles, so have fun dragging it.   Seriously, if I can get physical distance bet

We have the 'Old Gray Hair Patrol,' complete with a patch! When I become scoutmaster here in a couple weeks I plan to take our patrol a few steps farther and make sure we all have scout to 1st class skills. I'll also implement a separate dining area on campouts.

We are considering a Philmont Trek for leaders. I think they call it an 'Autumn Adventure.' 

Dean

• Upvote 2

We have the 'Old Gray Hair Patrol,' complete with a patch! When I become scoutmaster here in a couple weeks I plan to take our patrol a few steps farther and make sure we all have scout to 1st class skills. I'll also implement a separate dining area on campouts.

We are considering a Philmont Trek for leaders. I think they call it an 'Autumn Adventure.' 

Dean

That is exactly what we're thinking of.  I'd love to see that patch....

I have mixed feelings.....

If not very careful, the idea crosses a line.... well maybe it crosses that line anyway.....

Scouting is a game for boys, with the aim of building character.  It's really nothing more than that.

It's not a men's club, or adult club, or really any sort of thing for adults at all.

I read somewhere, i wish I could give proper credit for it.... and I'll have to paraphrase

Everything we do as scouters, we do for the scouts ..... but we don't do everything for the scouts.

It is from this perspective that i understand the idea that some have to strictly limit the number of adults involved to only the SM and ASM. With the rest of the adults being banished to the sidelines to watch the game as you would a soccer game.

On the other hand.....honestly I understand the motivation and personally like the idea.  This game of scouting is centered around activities that boys like to do.  I'm a boy-man as BP described it.  i want to do those things too.  So, I guess my gut tells me that as long as it's activities done only while the scouts are doing something else, and it's done without a purpose (intended or not) to increase the adult roster needlessly, then where's the harm?.....

It just seems like such a fine line that's too easy to fall from.....

• Upvote 2

I have mixed feelings.....

If not very careful, the idea crosses a line.... well maybe it crosses that line anyway.....

Scouting is a game for boys, with the aim of building character.  It's really nothing more than that.

It's not a men's club, or adult club, or really any sort of thing for adults at all.

I read somewhere, i wish I could give proper credit for it.... and I'll have to paraphrase

Everything we do as scouters, we do for the scouts ..... but we don't do everything for the scouts.

It is from this perspective that i understand the idea that some have to strictly limit the number of adults involved to only the SM and ASM. With the rest of the adults being banished to the sidelines to watch the game as you would a soccer game.

On the other hand.....honestly I understand the motivation and personally like the idea.  This game of scouting is centered around activities that boys like to do.  I'm a boy-man as BP described it.  i want to do those things too.  So, I guess my gut tells me that as long as it's activities done only while the scouts are doing something else, and it's done without a purpose (intended or not) to increase the adult roster needlessly, then where's the harm?.....

It just seems like such a fine line that's too easy to fall from.....

That is a fine line. If any of the boys objected we would drop the patch in a heartbeat.  The boys don't seem to mind. We will begin to separate ourselves from the boys when camping. Right now there is a tendency to let the boys do all the cooking and cleaning. I plan to have the adults cook their own food all the time and mind our distance.

We don't have a "patrol", just an adult area.  We do our own cooking and camping separate from the boys.  Only PL's can come into the adult area if requested and have permission.  There's a little concern with the father/son's wanting a bonding time, but we figure that if they're not doing that at home, they don't need to be hanging out together at campouts.  It is stressed that the adults are there to assist all the boys when needed, otherwise they keep to themselves.

• Upvote 1

We do not have an "adult patrol" as such, although we sometimes refer to it as such for convenience. Our approach is much like Stosh's...we eat, clean, and sleep separately from the youth and the youth generally are not permitted in the adult area.

As for "adult patrol activities", most of our adults who would have any inclination for such activities are already donating so much time to the troop I don't have the heart to ask them for more. While I think it is a worthy goal to make sure your adults have at least the skills of a First Class scout, how do you police that? Are you really going to tell the ASM in charge of weekly programs that he is going to have to step down until he shows you he knows how to tie a bowline knot? You must be extraordinarily rich and deep in adult leadership if you can afford to do that.

And I agree with blw2...we are there for the youth.  If we are focusing on adults in their activities or their skills, then we are necessarily distracted from the mission. The mission should drive the program. Do "adult patrol activities" make the scouting experience better for the youth?  Do all the adult leaders really need to master all the First Class skills to implement a productive program for the youth?

Don't get me wrong. I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea, particularly because it can contribute to logistical and organizational efficiency on occasion. I am just not sure that it's a part of the program that needs any additional emphasis or focus.

Just my .$02. If it works for your program, go for it.

My Scoutmaster Corps has a monthly meeting to discuss upcoming events & the Troop in general.  I encourage everyone to be trained.  And then to continue the training on their own.  We are have a potluck supper with the spouses for the first time.  

There has been a tendency to hover around the boys and make corrections. Instead of helicopter parents we have helicopter assistant scoutmasters. Since we have scout skills as part of the troop meeting plan, I was thinking of scout skills as part of the leaders meeting plan. Like five minutes worth. A little friendly competition away from the regular troop meeting. Besides, an assistant scoutmaster who cannot pitch a tent, tie down the adult's dining fly, or operate a camp stove is in need of training. Some boys think it's funny that Mr./Mrs. So and So can't set up a tent or light the lantern.

The 'patrol' is mostly symbolic. We use it as part of the fun.

Edited by deanofmac