Your employer and scouting

My employer is a large DOE contactor. We have many Scouters working here; my guess would be about 50 or more of 3000 employees. My boss is an ex ASM with an Eagle son. I have an ASM that works for me and our building custodian is a CM. I get great support in terms of both time and resources, as do other Scouters that work here. But we are all careful not to take advantage of it. In my case, my operation runs 24-7 which means that I'm expected to be available 24-7.That give me a fair amount of flexibility with my time.

There are two sides to this story. My employer has an obligation to be involved in the community and to support employees that volunteer in the community. When possible, they take every opportunity to take credit for the relationship they have with the Scouters who work here, and thats fine by me. Its a win-win all the way around.

I work in Corrections and in my facility we're allowed to shift trade. I also work rotating shifts. I luck out on 8-4. So on those other Fridays I can elect to shift trade or pay out $125.00 for another C/O to work for me. At times, camping gets real expensive! Dave J!

I work for a municipal police department. My shift captain is a great guy. I am going to take some saved up vacation time this summer for three weeks (only 9 work days). With this time, I will be the COPE section director for summer camp.

You have no idea how much I am looking forward to the change of pace in June!

scoutldr, I'm also in the 'exempt' classification. However, I work on the alternative work schedule so I get to credit some of my OT to 'credit hours'. These help a lot (in addition to taking AL) for long outings and camp. The max I can accumulate is 3 days but that still helps a lot.

I had not been aware of the EO but I'm also civilian so it's academic.

What would REALLY be a great benefit to me would be to be able to somehow deduct the cost of my time from my taxes. BSA, if you'd like to do something really nice and convince the IRS......

Hey, I can dream, can't I?