SM pulls rank advancement after successful BOR

And to whom do  parents report psychological abuse or bullying of their child?  The COR?

"What to Do If Your Child Is Being Bullied"

"If Scout leaders are not keeping your Scout safe from being bullied, contact your local Scout executive. If your Scout executive is not available, contact the Scouts First Helpline at 1-844- SCOUTS1 (1-844-726-8871)."

Edited by TAHAWK
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow. Well if were me, and this were my son, I would be looking for another unit. This type of behavior by any adult leader is ridiculous.    Not knowing the details of what happened and what the sit

I know of an event a few decades ago where National made the rule, Troop refused to follow, CO got involved and told the Troop "you will follow the BSA National rule". Troop said "you can't make us" 

A Scout is Trustworthy....probably more so than any adults with agendas. Ask the Scout. If he said the signature is from his other troop's BOR, then accept it. If he says he doesn't know where it came

This happened more than a year ago, however my Scout is now in the middle of his Eagle service project.  The COR just mentioned that he needs to be around for my Scout's EBOR because there are concerns.  This prompted me to post an update because honestly, it feels like there will be repercussions AGAIN. Of course I am very worried, and will take your advice to ask the COR to document what transpired at the Scout's Life BOR with the District and Council. 

Thankfully he is no longer our Unit Commissioner or a BSA volunteer due to health issues.  However, I do have concerns about my Scout being treated fairly.  The situation begs the question  - who informed the UC about my son's BOR? And was it from his own Troop?  Yes, the UC overstepped in a big way but he has held so many roles in his Scouting career that no one dared consider going against him.  This same UC derailed an EBOR for a Scout from the old Unit, even telling other Scouters that he knew going in that he wasn't going to agree to pass him.  There was complete bias based upon his involvement with that Scout in the old Unit.  (There are a lot of details with that story but suffice it to say that the Scoutmaster was truly vengeful.) That Scout was denied Eagle and ultimately won in an appeal.  

On 8/4/2020 at 7:37 PM, Thunderbird said:

Just curious, but why was the Unit Commissioner acting as a member of the Life BOR?  Was he just supposed to be observing, but then got carried away?

The UC did not 'visit' very often so when he did, it wasn't questioned.  The man is revered in out District.  However, he was silent for the other BORs that evening and the stark contrast in his behavior for my Scout's BOR was noted and questioned.

17 hours ago, fred8033 said:

We can disagree.  Most CORs won't do anything.  The CC and SM should.  But parents absolutely have the right to stand up for their kids when their kids are wronged.

And unfortunately, suffer severe consequences...

1 hour ago, CaliGirl said:

This same UC derailed an EBOR for a Scout from the old Unit, even telling other Scouters that he knew going in that he wasn't going to agree to pass him.  

IF AS WRITTEN ...  that's justification minimum to never have that adult sit on another EBOR.  It's justification from district to either say that EBOR is null and void or to take other action.  IMHO, as soon as a volunteer utters those words, they should be removed from the EBOR.  Period.  

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, CaliGirl said:

The COR just mentioned that he needs to be around for my Scout's EBOR because there are concerns.

Know that ...

• You have a right to ask what the concerns are. 
  • You have a right to tell the EBOR (district and council) there are certain adults you do not want sitting on your son's EBOR.   

I have seen a few occasions when adults target specific scouts.  In those cases, we have let the district / council advancement chair know there is history and the scout deserves a clean EBOR opportunity.  Note that after the council certifies a scout to have an EBOR, it's hard for the EBOR to say no to the scout.  

• Upvote 1

I would talk to as many of the troop 's key three as possible, get a consensus on concerns, and get ir documented NOW. When the time comes for the EBOR, if it is unit based, make sure they get a council rep from outside the district. If the EBOR is district based, get the council to approve an unbiased board. 

I would also have your son know the EBOR section of the GTA prior to the EBOR so that if something happens, A. he knows the full appeals process B. He knows what to expect, and C. He can respectfully tell then that based on the improper way the EBOR, he will be appealing their decision.

Something similar happened to me. The district advancement chairman was going to deny me my Eagle because he did not approve my project and the project's paperwork was out of date at the time of the EBOR. I told him the decision was bogus. The DAC at the time I sought approval,  who was on my EBOR, approved the project, so it did not matter whether he approved it or not, it was a done deal. I also stated that the paperwork submitted with the application was the current paperwork at the time, and it needed to be accepted. Then I asked him about an appeals process since i did in fact meet all the requirements,  used the current paperwork at the time of my project, and told him I was not accepting his decision because it was wrong. I was asked to step out a 2nd time, and from body language and tone, he reluctantly approved, to the delight of myself and the other EBOR members.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, CaliGirl said:

And unfortunately, suffer severe consequences...

What ‘severe consequences’?
Will someone be wrongfully imprisoned? Lose their home? Forced to wear some scarlet letter?

What on earth kind of suffering can maligned scouters dole out? Really?

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, fred8033 said:

IF AS WRITTEN ...  that's justification minimum to never have that adult sit on another EBOR.  

Oh no!  Not that!  Anything but that!  The HORROR of it!  😮   Not being allowed to spend our evenings on BOR's!  [Sobs, wailing, gnashing of teeth]  😬

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 1