Online Training and The Photos

In recent years the basic BSA uniform, whether it be Cubs, Boys, or Venturers has become obsolete.  It's now a free-for-all approach and units just make up their own rules as they go along.  The problem goes all the way up to National.  "Back in the day" when scouting was at it's peak, full uniforms were a common practice.  Today's full-uniformed troops is an rare exception.

Shirt, pants/shorts, socks and belt are official uniform, necker and hat are troop optional.

BSA literature explicitly says no blue jeans with Cub Scout uniform.  When BSA was/is selling blue jeans, the fine print states they are not to be worn with the scout uniform shirt.

I used to try to wear the official uniform. When the centennial uniform came out, I bought three to show support. It was bad enough that the shirts lost numbers and patches. Worse that that the pants had bad seems that separated if used such as like ... camping.

As of now, I wear a scout shirt.

It's hard to promote an official uniform when it's more decorative than functional.

Edited by fred johnson

I'm a Commissioner, so it is my duty to encourage wearing the full uniform.  However, I also work with 'economically diverse' (picked up that buzz phrase from the latest Scouting magazine) Packs.  My old Pack served the school that the local homeless shelter feeds into, for example.  For many of the families, the uniform shirt is out of reach, at $25 for the shirt plus an additional $12-13 in patches (Council strip, unit numbers, World Scout crest).  Add on a handbook, neckerchief, slide, and hat that change every year... plus belt, pants, and socks... and there is no way these families can afford the whole thing. 

We buy any shirt we find at garage sales and second hand shops and buy the basic patches to make the shirts functional.  We've been giving out these shirts to families who can't afford them now for several years.  Sadly, I rarely find belts, hats, or neckerchiefs; and have only seen one pair of secondhand uniform pants.  So the best we can hope for as a standard is the uniform shirt and neckerchief.  Anything more a boy has our Pack considers a bonus.

I like a well uniformed Scout as much as any Scouter, but the reality is that uniforming Cub Scouts is expensive with hats, neckerchiefs, slides and handbooks that change every year.  It's worse than the Boy Scout side, where a boy only needs to buy new uniform pieces when he outgrows them.  Since in many cases the Scouts who need Scouting the most are the ones least likely to be able to afford annual uniform purchases, I personally don't have a problem with the training showing a situation that is reality for many Scouting families and units.

• Upvote 2

I broke down last year and bought some non-BSA long pants.  So far have only worn them once with the uniform.  Something I was opposed to doing, but I really don't care for the zip off legs and they don't even offer a cargo pocket pant that's not convertible..... really!

I noticed that in the training pics as well. 

I bought the official switchback pants for my Tiger Cub and me and we've never worn the rest of our uniforms without them.  I find mine durable, comfortable and probably the best pair of non-dress pants I own.

I spent four years in the Marines.  I just can't wear half a uniform. 

Everyone has to do what they can, would I rather have a boy buy a shirt (BSA Class A) rather than a pair of switchbacks?  Of course! If it meant him being in scouts or not I am ok with whatever blue pants he has (cubs)

All of my scout pants have held up for many a camp outs and I wear them 3 out of 7 days of the week! They function very well and more affordable than (Columbia, North Face, OR, REI)

Shirt, pants/shorts, socks and belt are official uniform, necker and hat are troop optional.

BSA literature explicitly says no blue jeans with Cub Scout uniform.  When BSA was/is selling blue jeans, the fine print states they are not to be worn with the scout uniform shirt.

that's my point, in the training videos (which I just finished a week ago), it shows Cub Scout boys wearing jeans, while it's telling you jeans are not uniform and the uniform should be worn complete.  Â¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I noticed that in the training pics as well. 

I bought the official switchback pants for my Tiger Cub and me and we've never worn the rest of our uniforms without them.  I find mine durable, comfortable and probably the best pair of non-dress pants I own.

I spent four years in the Marines.  I just can't wear half a uniform. 

I got my son a full uniform as well, and I got myself a full uniform as their Den Leader.  Wearing half a uniform, even it's its considered "official" just feels wrong to me. 

I got my son a full uniform as well, and I got myself a full uniform as their Den Leader.  Wearing half a uniform, even it's its considered "official" just feels wrong to me. 

I still remember unwrapping that Christmas present from my Aunt: my first Cub Scout uniform! Clearly I had been in the pack for several months before then.

But getting one is 1/10th the battle ...

That and my baseball uniform were the only sets of clothes that I made sure were hung together and ready to go for the next meeting.

I would beg and beg committee members to check my sons' socks in boards of review and suspend the board until the boy finds them and wears them with every other uniform element at the next possible time to reconvene.

They insisted "Not gonna do it. Your kids are awesome"

Folks just don't have standards anymore.

Edited by qwazse

I know this is repetitious, but there is no uniform.  There is a brand from which one can assemble quite diverse (!) parts of a variety of styles, construction, materials, and colors.  While I wear that brand out of habit hard to break after forty-six years, I cannot get fully behind the "Uniform Method" until there is a uniform - ya' know, the same.