District Associate to replace District Executive?

I Googled 'district associate," and up came a long list of councils looking to hire to fill that position and many with that title in place.

"The District Associate position will be the new title for entry level field staff members moving forward."

1)  That's my home council!

2) In the very near future, I believe December 1st,  the minimum wage for salaried workers will be doubled.  That will be an incredible burden on non-profits in general.  Looks like this change in title will reflect that they are limited to 40 hours/week.

The DE current salary is well above minimum wage and will still be after any minimum wage increase.  What I am trying to figure out is where is this language coming from?  The new overtime rule is for anyone making less than $47,476 per year - which is most if not all current DEs

If I were to ponder a guess, I'd say it's probably like an "Assistant to the DE" position

my district, as an example, is split with two DE's, one of them being a "Senior".  I'd guess this new position may be a similar set-up.

It probably is related to the new FLSA rules.  It defines a position that is not intended to be an "exempt" position under FLSA.  Likely there are many DEs who are at or close to the new $47k rate, and any that are anywhere near it will just be bumped up (see the other thread on council level fee increases). Newly hired entry level professionals and maybe some who are still paid close to the old FLSA rate will be given this title.

A new title let's everyone in the organization, probably especially crusty old SEs who will be mad that the whippersnappers aren't properly "paying their dues like we did" be clear that these are in fact hourly positions and if you want them working that many hours you're going to have to pay them.  

Edited by T2Eagle

Actually the DE's do not make the  new exempt threshold of I believe $47,000-$48,000/ year.  According to this website $36,000 is the DE's average. http://blog.myscoutstuff.org/2014/03/how-much-is-a-district-executive-worth/

According to this website, https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Boy-Scouts-of-America-Salaries-E7807.htm ,  DEs make anywhere from $37,665 (DE) to $45,488 as a Senior DE.

When I was a DE, the salary was much lower, and someone estimated that we made about $1.50/hour, and that doesn't include those pros working summer camp. 

Actually the DE's do not make the  new exempt threshold of I believe $47,000-$48,000/ year.  According to this website $36,000 is the DE's average. http://blog.myscoutstuff.org/2014/03/how-much-is-a-district-executive-worth/

According to this website, https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Boy-Scouts-of-America-Salaries-E7807.htm ,  DEs make anywhere from $37,665 (DE) to $45,488 as a Senior DE.

When I was a DE, the salary was much lower, and someone estimated that we made about $1.50/hour, and that doesn't include those pros working summer camp. 

That is lower than I thought.

Snow Owl:    What would you expect?   Hamburger flipper vs  Mr.  Kroc or Stephanson? 

The CEO of an enterprise always is recompensed at a mega ratio with the proles. 

Edited by SSScout

I suspect it is related to the FSLA change in this way:  many Hr advisors to the non-profit sector are recommending that all titles, job duties, and payroll procedures be reviewed at this point and time.  A full HR audit, so to say.  

A District Executive is really executive of nothing (no full time direct reports to supervise, no budgetary authority of any magnitude, for example.)  Program Associate (or District Associate in this case) makes more sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Our council is changing the title for District Executives to District Associates.  They are requiring them to keep detailed hourly reporting.  They are capping their hours.  They are prohibiting them from serving in any voluntary capacity.  All because of the Dept of Labor rules becoming effective Dec 1st.

One DE I know plans to quit his job since he is closely involved with a Troop in a volunteer position and does not want to give that up.

Maybe the court ruling will prevent all this from happening.

The LA Times said "Texas Judge blocks overtime."   Other media outlets noted it was a federal judge sitting in Texas who enjoined the executive order as probably unlawful pending final judgment in the case.  "[T]he judge said the increase to the 40th percentile of all weekly earnings in the U.S. effectively eliminated the exception in labor law for 'bona fide executive, administrative or professional' employees. The Labor Dept. must examine the duties of employees to determine who fits the exception, the judge said. But by raising the cap so high, he said, 'the Department exceeds it delegated authority and ignores Congress’s intent by raising the minimum salary level such that it supplants the duties test.'"