What are your favorite Scouting Myths Safety / Risk Management?

The "no running" rule (along with the "no open toed shoes") have been around since I was a scout in the 60's. Of course there is some common sense applied to the rule since some activities might involve running. But, our troop has taken more than one scout with a broken or severely cut toes resulting from rocks, roots, and tent stakes, to the emergency room. I personally like the rule.

Barry

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a fellow scoutmaster tell me I was breaking some sort of rule because I didn't have a fire bucket outside every tent.  He was being pretty annoying about it so I told him I stopped doing that ba

Maybe "Class A" and "Class B" are myths in your troops, but when the Scoutmaster of my troop uses one of those terms, the Scouts and Scouters know exactly what he means and act accordingly.

Ya didn't think to drop in the "Those that can, do, those that can't, teach?"  Sounds like he's got all the answers, too bad he doesn't understand the questions.   After working all these many years

The "no running" rule (along with the "no open toed shoes") have been around since I was a scout in the 60's. Of course there is some common sense applied to the rule since some activities might involve running. But, our troop has taken more than one scout with a broken or severely cut toes resulting from rocks, roots, and tent stakes, to the emergency room. I personally like the rule.

Barry

Our council's "Cub Scout family camping" weekends were (and may still be, but it's been a long time) held at a council camp where the campsites and trails were extremely rocky. Cub Scouts running around, or even walking around in open-toed shoes, would virtually guarantee that there would be one or more injuries over the course of the weekend. I think that is where the "no running" and "no open toed shoes" (and in some cases, "no sneakers") gets ingrained in our area. And as Barry points out, tent stakes (and stoves, other equipment, etc.) will be a hazard even if you are camping on a flat, grassy field with no rocks. If the field is large enough and there is an open area away from the tents, kitchen area, etc., then the kids can ask a leader whether it's ok to run around on the field. And they have, and they get permission if there is no safety concern. It is all a matter of common sense.

I will also add that a number of the "myths" mentioned in this thread are not really myths. They may be unit rules or camp rules. Where they become "mythical" is if they impose a requirement that an official BSA publication says you cannot impose, such as adding to the advancement requirements, or if someone tries to justify a "rule" by saying it is a National rule, when it isn't. But in the latter case, it may still be a "local rule", the only "mythical" part is where the rule came from.

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

:) unless you're part of Mr. Stosh's troop.  He simply tears the whole thing up on an infraction and the scout has to re-take it again at summer camp if they want to use their knives and/or work in the axe yard.  All the boys know this will happen, it is no myth!  (well, sort of, Mr. Stosh's warning is enough.  He has never seen an infraction so he's never torn up a card. :) )

Cutting corners from Totin' Chip or Whittling Chip for infractions 

• Upvote 1

:) unless you're part of Mr. Stosh's troop.  He simply tears the whole thing up on an infraction and the scout has to re-take it again at summer camp if they want to use their knives and/or work in the axe yard.  All the boys know this will happen, it is no myth!  (well, sort of, Mr. Stosh's warning is enough.  He has never seen an infraction so he's never torn up a card. :) )

Do the boys (eg. PLs) also "have the authority" to tear up another scout's totin chip card?

I ask for discussion purposes for the rest of the readers.

Cutting corners from Totin' Chip or Whittling Chip for infractions 

That, again, is not really a "myth".  It is something that some people do.  If someone claims that there is a rule from National that permits and/or requires them to do so, THAT is a myth.  Whether a Scoutmaster actually has the authority to do so... well, I'm not sure.

Do the boys (eg. PLs) also "have the authority" to tear up another scout's totin chip card?

Rule #1 in the Stosh Troop - 1) Safety First!

That means anyone seeing any knife/axe/saw infraction can tear up the card.  Scouter, Parent, PL, NSP scout, or guy walking down the street.  Everyone has the "authority" to maintain safety.

• Upvote 1

Yes, my thoughts are along the same line. The PLs are responsible for how they respond to behavior in our troop. I never suggested cutting off corners of totin chip cards to our scouts, but I have seen corners missing. Probably some senior scout's dad reminiscing of the old days.

Barry

Yes, my thoughts are along the same line. The PLs are responsible for how they respond to behavior in our troop. I never suggested cutting off corners of totin chip cards to our scouts, but I have seen corners missing. Probably some senior scout's dad reminiscing of the old days.

Barry

I am probably one who reminisced about how my troop worked. A few of us had to loose corners before we wised up.

I've never seen a boy in my sons' troop get a card "cornered". They are either more compliant, or they do more video-gaming than whittling!  :mad:  Or, maybe thanks to video games, boys have learned to steer clear of other boys with knives. :confused:

When talking to kids about the totin chip. I do encourage them to come to me and review the material, and I'll see to it they get a "fresh" card.

Edited by qwazse

I am probably one who reminisced about how my troop worked. A few of us had to loose corners before we wised up.

I've never seen a boy in my sons' troop get a card "cornered". They are either more compliant, or they do more video-gaming than whittling!  :mad:  Or, maybe thanks to video games, boys have learned to steer clear of other boys with knives. :confused:

:laugh:

When talking to kids about the totin chip. I do encourage them to come to me and review the material, and I'll see to it they get a "fresh" card.

Like swimming and being safe, the boys do the swim test and they take a Totin' Chit training session every year at summer camp.  Some of the older boys I have had usually know the stuff better than the counselor teaching it.  As a matter of fact, one PL was so displeased with the way the camp counselor did it, he would not issue the cards until they had sat through a session of correct material.

I do the exact same thing! When one is careless with an axe or knife, there may not BE a second, third, fourth chance,

• 2 weeks later...

A  thought comes to mind:  if one takes a rectangular Totin' Chip card and cuts a corner off of it, it now has five corners. So the scout now has five chances to be unsafe!  Repeat the process and he has six.  So as the limit approaches infinity....

Campfire lawyers what say you?

A  thought comes to mind:  if one takes a rectangular Totin' Chip card and cuts a corner off of it, it now has five corners. So the scout now has five chances to be unsafe!  Repeat the process and he has six.  So as the limit approaches infinity....

Campfire lawyers what say you?

Once without right angles, it'll be all wrong. :laugh: