What are your favorite Scouting Myths Safety / Risk Management?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a fellow scoutmaster tell me I was breaking some sort of rule because I didn't have a fire bucket outside every tent.  He was being pretty annoying about it so I told him I stopped doing that ba

Maybe "Class A" and "Class B" are myths in your troops, but when the Scoutmaster of my troop uses one of those terms, the Scouts and Scouters know exactly what he means and act accordingly.

Ya didn't think to drop in the "Those that can, do, those that can't, teach?"  Sounds like he's got all the answers, too bad he doesn't understand the questions.   After working all these many years

I almost forgot this gem from a wood tools instructor at IOLS  circa 2010

" Axes are too dangerous for scouts to use, so we no longer teach chopping or splitting .   Now we only use a knife, saw and froe.  Including the adults "

The best way to get injured with an ax is not to know how to correctly use it. 

Thats pretty much what I told him.  We went a few rounds then he  pulled rank by telling me he was a woodshop teacher and so knew all about sharp tools and accidents.  

I replied that I had been working as a professional woodworker for the last quarter century and walked off

Ya didn't think to drop in the "Those that can, do, those that can't, teach?"  Sounds like he's got all the answers, too bad he doesn't understand the questions.

After working all these many years with scouts and scouters, it is the scouters that pose the greatest danger to themselves because of their arrogance.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Only time I know about injuries and axes in my 31 years since earning Totin Chip was this weekend. One of my older Scouts broke his ribs from football. He's  still bandaged up after a few weeks, but was feeling pretty well. Was supposed to see the doctor this week about being released so that he could play the rest of the season.  He refractured them this weekend trying to chop wood with a three quarter axe.

I have sometimes over the years encountered some on the forum that use the negative button on those that disagree with them regardless of how polite and positive that may be.  It might be good to review the use of the green and red buttons so that everyone is on the same page.  I have never used the red button against anyone that has disagreed with me.  If that was the case, I would have known the daily limit a long time ago.  Disagreements is the life-blood of new knowledge and insight.  I would never want to discourage that process. 

I disagree

;)

Ya didn't think to drop in the "Those that can, do, those that can't, teach?"  Sounds like he's got all the answers, too bad he doesn't understand the questions.

After working all these many years with scouts and scouters, it is the scouters that pose the greatest danger to themselves because of their arrogance.

I agree with all that you said, except for the quip about teachers. I am a professional educator and take great offense to the sentiment espoused in the line. The arrogance of the individual is not a result of his profession, anymore than othe scouters who exhibit the same. To haphazardly make a statement qualifying the ability of teachers as less than others is patently false and is degrading to the entirety of the profession. We can "do" what we teach, and we have the expertise and knowledge to also teach it to others in a multitude of ways. I am sure you did not intend to demean myself, or my entire profession, but the statement in quotes has that result. I am smiling as I write this, because I respect you enough to know my tone is not meant to be negative, condescending, or anything of the sort. Thank you all for understanding.

Duct Tape,  there is much truth in what you say.  I should have gone into the reasons why I held my peace.  if I may do so now

1  I would not be the craftsman I am today were it not for several very skilled people who also had a gift and passion for teaching.

2  although I am much better than I was 30 years ago when I finished my formal training, there remain things my mentors could do that I still cannot.

3  I had no idea what this mans skill level was,  he may have been a total wood butcher, or a master craftsman.

My point of contention with this fellow scouter was not that he was a teacher of my trade, but that he was seemingly attempting to use his position to browbeat me into conceding his point of view.

Perhaps the saying should be changed to " He that can, teaches others to do."

apologies 

Oldscout

I agree with all that you said, except for the quip about teachers. I am a professional educator and take great offense to the sentiment espoused in the line. The arrogance of the individual is not a result of his profession, anymore than othe scouters who exhibit the same. To haphazardly make a statement qualifying the ability of teachers as less than others is patently false and is degrading to the entirety of the profession. We can "do" what we teach, and we have the expertise and knowledge to also teach it to others in a multitude of ways. I am sure you did not intend to demean myself, or my entire profession, but the statement in quotes has that result. I am smiling as I write this, because I respect you enough to know my tone is not meant to be negative, condescending, or anything of the sort. Thank you all for understanding.

I thought twice before hitting the POST button on the comment.  I do realize that there are a far greater majority of excellent instructors, teachers, mentors, etc. out there doing an outstanding job.  I came very close to adding, "Those that can teach, teach, those that can't, still try."

Having spent 22 years of my life sitting full-time in the classroom, I can kinda get the impression of the quality of one's teaching ability.  Maybe this gentleman in the original post who cut off the process with a bit of arrogance was out of his comfort zone, might be having a bad day, just wasn't thinking for a moment, but when all the dust had settled, an apology should have been his first step in the right direction.  A professional teacher gets paid, a volunteer teacher doesn't, but there's a certain amount of "professional decorum" that goes along with being in any position of teaching others. 

My post was not to belittle any teachers out there, if I offended any of them, please accept my apology, it was not directed at anyone other than the rude WOODBADGE woods tool instructor in the story told by @@Oldscout448

Edited by Stosh

Thank you Stosh. I too hesitated with my post, because it really wasn't meant for you. I think I know you as well as I can from your posts to understand your intent. My reply was for others who might read it and not truly understand. I hope someday that we can share a cup of coffee by the fire. But if that day never comes, I will have to be content with this virtual campfire.