What are your favorite Scouting Myths Safety / Risk Management?

myth
miTH/
noun
noun: myth; plural noun: myths
  1. 1.
    a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.
    synonyms: folk tale, folk story, legend, tale, story, fable, saga, mythos, lore, folklore, mythology
    "ancient Greek myths"
    • traditional stories or legends collectively.
      "the heroes of Greek myth"
  2. 2.
    a widely held but false belief or idea.

Of course I know what the definition of myth is.  :)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a fellow scoutmaster tell me I was breaking some sort of rule because I didn't have a fire bucket outside every tent.  He was being pretty annoying about it so I told him I stopped doing that ba

Maybe "Class A" and "Class B" are myths in your troops, but when the Scoutmaster of my troop uses one of those terms, the Scouts and Scouters know exactly what he means and act accordingly.

Ya didn't think to drop in the "Those that can, do, those that can't, teach?"  Sounds like he's got all the answers, too bad he doesn't understand the questions.   After working all these many years

Class B is the name of a company. That doesn't mean it exists within the BSA construct. Using your description of what a myth is, that would exclude anything as long as people undertood what was meant. IMO, class B is a myth not because nobody uses the phrase, but because it is not the official bsa term for any uniform.

For all the Latin aficionados out there the word is uniform, i.e. UNI- meaning one and -FORM mean shape, style, or shape.  "Class-B" of all colors and designs of sorts is contra-indicative of anything resembling the definition of ONE or UNI- form.  For that matter the boys all wearing white t-shirts (which are readily available in our society) would be more uni-formed than what a lot of scouters tout as a "Class-B" uniform. 

At one point the BSA did produce and promote an Activity shirt for when there was a need to keep the boys' field uniform from getting dirty, but it never was promoted on the Uniform Inspection Sheet.  And what many call the "Class-B" uniform doesn't, nor has never been part of that Sheet either.

At strict, conservative schools where there is a school uniform, the students wouldn't dare wear a t-shirt in school colors with the school's mascot and school name to school.  The term Class-A and Class-B have been derived from the military where a dress uniform and a field (or duty) uniform are specifically spelled out.  Only problem is, BSA is not a military organization.  And as a further note, the term Scout Uniform is short verbiage for the full title of Boy Scout Field Uniform as expressed in BSA literature.

Edited by Stosh

For all the Latin aficionados out there the word is uniform, i.e. UNI- meaning one and -FORM mean shape, style, or shape.  "Class-B" of all colors and designs of sorts is contra-indicative of anything resembling the definition of ONE or UNI- form.  For that matter the boys all wearing white t-shirts (which are readily available in our society) would be more uni-formed than what a lot of scouters tout as a "Class-B" uniform. 

At one point the BSA did produce and promote an Activity shirt for when there was a need to keep the boys' field uniform from getting dirty, but it never was promoted on the Uniform Inspection Sheet.  And what many call the "Class-B" uniform doesn't, nor has never been part of that Sheet either.

At strict, conservative schools where there is a school uniform, the students wouldn't dare wear a t-shirt in school colors with the school's mascot and school name to school.  The term Class-A and Class-B have been derived from the military where a dress uniform and a field (or duty) uniform are specifically spelled out.  Only problem is, BSA is not a military organization.  And as a further note, the term Scout Uniform is short verbiage for the full title of Boy Scout Field Uniform as expressed in BSA literature.

Oh, now you suddenly care what BSA National says? When did THAT happen?

• Downvote 1

Rule #2 - look and act like a Scout.

It's been around and taught by me for over 30 years.

It's nothing new.  The uniform is the easiest way to look like a Scout.  Acting like a Scout is the more difficult part.

@@Stosh, an old phrase from school comes to mind re Class A/Bs:  "Usage determines meaning." :) :) :)

And so the myth will continue for years to come.  :)

End justifies the means.....

A lie told 1000 times is still a lie.......

Yep, there's a ton of them out there.

Edited by Stosh

yeah, I haven't used it often.... maybe that limit has always been there....I just feel the need sometimes to "silently" voice objection to provoking/contentious comments on what is supposed to be a bunch of scouts sitting around a campfire supporting each other.  

I have sometimes over the years encountered some on the forum that use the negative button on those that disagree with them regardless of how polite and positive that may be.  It might be good to review the use of the green and red buttons so that everyone is on the same page.  I have never used the red button against anyone that has disagreed with me.  If that was the case, I would have known the daily limit a long time ago.  Disagreements is the life-blood of new knowledge and insight.  I would never want to discourage that process. 

I have never used the red button against anyone that has disagreed with me.  If that was the case, I would have known the daily limit a long time ago.  Disagreements is the life-blood of new knowledge and insight.  I would never want to discourage that process. 

Hmm interesting, I have a hand full of post from the moderators who were directed to discourage my processes of new knowledge in our discussions. I guess not all disagreements rate up to insightful.  

Barry

I use the -1 because my thumb slipped, mainly. ;)

When I do it on purpose, it's usually because I think an opinion is thoroughly unfounded. It may be downright mean. Maybe not.

To me pushing the red button allows me to simply dissent without saying anything specific. That allows that person's statement to be the last one on the thread while still letting readers know there's notable dissent regarding it.

There's a lot of stuff that you all do where maybe I'd do the opposite, but I don't -1 those posts. I might even +1 although I disagree with a post. If it's well written and worth thinking about, I'd like to draw attention to it. Obviously in those situations I'll reply if I think it will help clarify any part of the post that runs counter to my experience on the matter.

• Upvote 1