What are your favorite Scouting Myths Safety / Risk Management?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a fellow scoutmaster tell me I was breaking some sort of rule because I didn't have a fire bucket outside every tent.  He was being pretty annoying about it so I told him I stopped doing that ba

Maybe "Class A" and "Class B" are myths in your troops, but when the Scoutmaster of my troop uses one of those terms, the Scouts and Scouters know exactly what he means and act accordingly.

Ya didn't think to drop in the "Those that can, do, those that can't, teach?"  Sounds like he's got all the answers, too bad he doesn't understand the questions.   After working all these many years

That scouts are not allowed to carry their own medicine on a campout or summer camp even  if they are perfectly capable of taking care of their own meds on their own.  Esp silly some troops try to collect all the adult meds for a campout, and have the one troop leader person dispense all meds for everyone scout and adults alike.

That tents have to be a certain distance apart in case of fire, no coleman fuel at all ever or that only adults can fill the coleman stoves.

two deep leadership means you have to have two adults in the car cause you might have an emergency stop along the way for a blown tire or similar.

I had a fellow scoutmaster tell me I was breaking some sort of rule because I didn't have a fire bucket outside every tent.  He was being pretty annoying about it so I told him I stopped doing that back when I stopped letting the kids smoke in their tents.

:)

Two adults are required for a troop meeting.

Well... maybe YP doesn't require it, but in a practical sense my troop does require it.  I think it is common sense.  And I am pretty sure that if one were to ask the governing body of our CO (a church) whether THEIR youth protection policies require it, they would say yes.  Not that it's a problem anyway, we always have at least 3 or 4 adults at meetings, and sometimes more than that where it starts to become a distraction to the boys.  Lately our youth membership numbers have been slipping and there have been a few meetings where the adults (including parents hanging out on the perimeter of the meeting) outnumber the boys, which isn't good either.

Two-deep leadership and no one-on-one contact between adults and youth members include digital communication.  

This makes no sense if two-deep leadership is only required on overnight outings.  

This makes no sense if two-deep leadership is only required on overnight outings.  

I was the only adult when my son's patrol met at my house for their patrol meeting.

Also had an incident where one leader had an accident ont he way to the meeting, and another got called out minutes after arriving. Only the SM was attending the meeting.

not really safety related, excactly.... although one could argue...

but kinda goes along with the other "local" adult imposed rules mentioned

....no cell phones.  Scout's phones are confiscated and remain locked up.

Same Here as well

Maybe "Class A" and "Class B" are myths in your troops, but when the Scoutmaster of my troop uses one of those terms, the Scouts and Scouters know exactly what he means and act accordingly.

...and this is why Scouting myths never go away....

• Upvote 1

...and this is why Scouting myths never go away....

I don't think you understand what the definition of a "myth" is.

Funnily enough, the ad at the top of the page right now (and probably about 20 percent of the time I am in this forum) is for the following web site:

http://www.classb.com/bsa/custom-boy-scout-troop-t-shirts/

(I couldn't get the picture itself to show up in my post.)

So the BSA, which licenses this company "Class B" to produce Class B t-shirts among other things, doesn't seem to think it is such a myth. And it can't be a "myth" anyway, because that isn't what a myth is.  "Class B" is just a phrase that is used to communicate what is expected.  If the speaker and listener understand it to mean the same thing, what we have here is communication.  The communication is real.

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 1