What are your favorite Scouting Myths Safety / Risk Management?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a fellow scoutmaster tell me I was breaking some sort of rule because I didn't have a fire bucket outside every tent.  He was being pretty annoying about it so I told him I stopped doing that ba

Maybe "Class A" and "Class B" are myths in your troops, but when the Scoutmaster of my troop uses one of those terms, the Scouts and Scouters know exactly what he means and act accordingly.

Ya didn't think to drop in the "Those that can, do, those that can't, teach?"  Sounds like he's got all the answers, too bad he doesn't understand the questions.   After working all these many years

Help on an Eagle project can be only other members of the troop.

Sheath knives are banned, (but unsheathed butcher knives thrown in the chuck box are okay.)

BSA requires all scouts to have a uniform.

One has to attend X number of meetings and outings to qualify for active scout status.

All boys should make first class by the end of the first year.

New scouts are too young to understand leadership concepts and thus only the older boys should be the leaders.  The new boys will learn by osmosis and watching others lead.

Every troop requires an SPL to "run the show".

High Adventure occurs only at Northern Tier, Sea Base, Philmont and Summit Bechtel Reserve.

"Sign's UP!" is the best way to teach boys how to interrupt those who are interrupting them.

Have to be in uniform for insurance to work.  So glad that isn't true 'cause I'd hate to have the uniform on when I attempted the water rescue and became victim #2.

This, but even expand on it.  What's covered, what's not.  The old "You won't be covered by insurance if you ( do or don't do this) statement that gets thrown around.

Have to be in uniform for insurance to work.  So glad that isn't true 'cause I'd hate to have the uniform on when I attempted the water rescue and became victim #2.

It's not just this side of the Atlantic that has that myth then! Not quite sure how people that think that run white water canoeing....

Upon reflection, I was in an "activity uniform" of Scout t-shirt, belt and shorts.  Socks and shoes were off due to sand.

i will say this, the BSA's accident insurance we pay for was EXTREMELY BENEFICIAL. It helped tremendously.

• Upvote 1

Specific to safety:

I once called out a DE at round-table who said we should file a tour plan for every meeting outside our meeting place. The crew at that time was meeting someplace special every other week!

At weekend camps, I would give the boys a map and have them devise a day hike plan. My SM thought that meant one of us had to go with them on the hike. I showed him the appropriate pages of G2SS. He promptly grabbed his chain saw and chaps and went off cutting some deadfall that the boys happily split on their return.

Since then, he and I have enjoyed quite a few pleasurable  hikes in the opposite direction of the boys -- sometimes arranging rendezvous with them at some scenic location.

• Upvote 1

Since uniforms/insurance and sheath knives were already brought up, I'll add the one I brought up last week - white gas (Coleman fuel) stoves are banned.  Apparently a myth that was sold as truth within our Council some years ago, but which seems to be finally coming around now.

I’m collecting for a safety moment.  http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/Safety_Moments.aspx  (couple of new ones recently posted)  

Feel free to discuss or send to me as a message if you like. 

RichardB

Two favorites (no particular order):

Favorite one:  If you're wearing Crocs (or flipflops or sandals), BSA insurance won't apply to you:

Favorite two:  If you're not in BSA uniform, BSA insurance won't apply to you.

Runner up: Sheath knives aren't allowed in the BSA.