Sign in to follow this  
onetallmama

Are local Girl Scout Councils allowed to add girls to a troop without leader consent?

Posted (edited)

Wow, way to resuscitate an old thread.    We never did hear back from   onetallmama, did we?    Guess we scared her  off with our encouragement as to how to work her group....

And yes, Welcome @@Bridget_in_MD.   I am in Mungumry County Murlin.....  Or are you up near Balmer?   :)

Edited by RememberSchiff
sent a notification to Bridget

Its rather interesting to me how different BSA and GS are. In our Pack we are always recruiting, wanting more Cub Scouts, the more the merrier, please join us! My daughter's primary GS Leader (my wife is a Co-Leader) doesn't want to do any recruiting for them. This will be their second year (1st graders) but the woman doesn't want to allow any more girls in. We have a small pool of kids to pick from in our area, but still, why would you not want more kids to experience your scouting? I just don't get that.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I don't have any constructive comment to make on this.  I have no idea why anyone, especially 1st graders, would tell a girl they couldn't join.  Makes no sense to me.

• Upvote 2

I have to say as a dad of a Brownie that got turned away from the entire district due to the three Brownie Troops being "full" thus being forced to be a Juliet for a year (when we could have just quit), nothing sucks more than being told we don't want you in our troop.

It would seem that it is in the best interest of GS to work with the leaders and the parents to find a way to include all interested girls, even if that means recruiting more parents (like a willing and dedicated dad) to take on more troop responsibility to help the leaders.

Bridget:   Where are you when we need you?    Like has been said (by me) in another thread,  (can't get the italics off) ,  this one item is somehow indicative of the current brouhaha: 

1) No one is required to join either organization. Choose the program that suits your kids' interests and your desires.
2) The present GSUSA and BSA have very different programs and philosophies. Units in GSUSA are owned by the local GS Council. All money and unit gear is owned by the Council and parceled out to the unit. Sell cookies? Council gets money. BSA units are owned by a local organization: a church, synagogue, fire dept. PTA, even a hardware store. Sell popcorn?  Unit gets 1/3, Council 1/3, Popcorn 1/3. Unit can do what it wants with it's gear and money.
3) BSA: Leaders are recruited, trained, encouraged to get out and do stuff, especially let the BOYS plan and do stuff. There is a definite program of advancement and adventure. GS: If a woman wants to have a GSTroop, she can. If she wants tea parties, or fashionistas, that is what the GSTroop does. If she wants to hike /camp, she does. (she does?) BSA: many female leaders. GSUSA: Males are refused.
4) Membership: I once asked a GS Brownie leader to join us in a Cub recruiting event , she replied :  “oh no, we don't want any more girls, we have enough." (?!?!?!) If the GSleader wants no more girls in her clique, she need not admit them. BSA: You better have a real good reason not to admit a boy to your Troop (Charter org only wants certain religion, for instance).
5) When the GSTroop members graduate, that's usually the end of that Troop. No continuity. My home BSTroop just celebrated 65 years. There are Troops 100 years old.
6) Echoing a previous comment, when a GS leader wants to operate her Troop ala BSA , she is often chastised and denied GS support. Smaller Patrols making up the larger Troop?? Older girls mentoring younger? Every girl having a chance to lead? Doesn't seem to fit the GSUSA model some how.
7) See number one again.

See you on the trail.

• Upvote 1

Wow, way to resuscitate an old thread.    We never did hear back from   onetallmama, did we?    Guess we scared her  off with our encouragement as to how to work her group....

Don't think anyone scared her off. By the looks of it she posted and never came back. Her last activity is 4 minutes after she posted.

Maybe her issue was resolved, or she just needed to vent.