Mike Rowe on Voting, a right not a duty.

Personally I had hoped that he would be one of the Key 3.

Agreed, he'd be a great choice.  But he's smart, confident, and he has opinions that often run contrary to what is considered "acceptable" these days.  In a word, he stands on his own two feet.

He'd never make the cut at National.

Edited by desertrat77
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree with Mike. Voting is a neutral act. Its not a holy act. Being an informed voter and voting your informed conscience (wherever that leads you!) Is good.   Has anybody seen the Jimmy Kimmel sh

Rights, duty and obligation.    You have the right to vote, the duty to research and make yourself familiar with the various canidates, and the obligation to cast an informed vote.   That's how i

Huh ... how the tables turn?  Mocking as right wing someone who is encouraging others to read, learn and be informed.  I often hear the right being criticized as blue collar uneducated.     I don't

i disagree, urging people to do what is virtuous is a good idea, and I believe voting is a virtuous act.  The underpinning theory of democracy is that the people through their collective will produce the best governance.  The more people who vote the more accurately our will is expressed, and therefore the better our governance will be.

As for giving an opponent a ride, without hesitation, and if you have a friend voting the same way I'll drive him also.

I believe in majority rule, but I do not believe that the majority is always right.  I certainly don't believe that the majority is always virtuous.  

The majority does not always produce the best governance.  Far from it.  

• Upvote 1

I believe in majority rule, but I do not believe that the majority is always right.  I certainly don't believe that the majority is always virtuous.  

The majority does not always produce the best governance.  Far from it.  

I think the Framers of the Constitution mostly agreed with you, which is why they put in checks and balances, three national-level elected offices (President, Senate and House) all with different-length terms, super-majorities required to amend the Constitution, etc.  Of course, the question of whether the majority in a given election has been right, virtuous or has produced the best governance is often a matter of one's perspective - whose ox being gored, so to speak.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, he'd be a great choice.  But he's smart, confident, and he has opinions that often run contrary to what is considered "acceptable" these days.  In a word, he stands on his own two feet.

He'd never make the cut at National.

I don't think he'd be at all interested in being involved in the bureacracy at National, or in raising money for the salaries of said bureaucrats.

I think he might be interested in a mostly-honorary position such as the one Bear Grylls has in the UK.  (Or at least I think its mostly honorary.)  But I doubt the BSA has much interest in creating such a position at this point.  One might suspect that the actual Key 3 would not be enthusiastic about overshadowing themselves.

• Upvote 1

Huh ... how the tables turn?  Mocking as right wing someone who is encouraging others to read, learn and be informed.  I often hear the right being criticized as blue collar uneducated.  

I don't understand the arguments here.  Rowe's article was pretty simple and rather bland.  Essentially he's saying the country needs informed voters.  Not really supporting either side.  Just that we need informed voters.   

I agree, I don't see him taking a side. I'm a liberal, but I agree that we need voters that are thoughtful and informed. I haven't missed a national election since I became old enough to vote. But I rarely fill in the entire ballot. If I don't feel I can make an informed decision on an issue or race, I leave that part blank.

• Upvote 1

The success of democracy presupposes the obligation of the people to inform themselves on critical issues.

Or we can sell governmental power like dish detergent.

All those Presidents that people love to hate were elected.

Given the candidates for President, at least, the trend is not encouraging.

So nice to see that, even here, name-calling is still in vogue.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

In several months, Mr. Trump will be asked to assume the role of "Honorary President of the Boy Scouts Of America".

I'll talk to my crew about preparing an invite for him to come camp with us.

I think Laurel-Highlands Council's decade of "amicable" mergers will impress him.

"" Yet another right winger complaining that too many stupid leftists vote. ""

Yep,  the decline in voter apathy is encouraging....

First, some people decided that somebody else (not just the king)  should make decisions.  Let's start with "White Male Nobility Property Owners Born In Our Country"

Naw, that's not enough. Let's include ALL White Male Property Owners, not just Nobility. 

Ummmm.   Maybe we should include White Male Property Owners, and White Female Property Owners Over 40 Years Old. (during WW1 in England) Born In Our Country.

Getting better.   Howzabout All White Male And Female Property Owners etc.?   Okay

Now we are somewhere getting.  Let's fight a war and then  allow People Who Are Not White, but can pass a "literacy"  test.....

Okay,  how  about  Anyone Who Is A Citizen (requirements?) and not a felon? 

Good, good.   Let's make it,  "Any Citizen Over 18 years of age who wants to vote " (must voluntarily register in advance).

Now to figure out how to encourage the registering AND voting

"" Yet another right winger complaining that too many stupid leftists vote. ""

Yep,  the decline in voter apathy is encouraging....

First, some people decided that somebody else (not just the king)  should make decisions.  Let's start with "White Male Nobility Property Owners Born In Our Country"

Naw, that's not enough. Let's include ALL White Male Property Owners, not just Nobility. 

Ummmm.   Maybe we should include White Male Property Owners, and White Female Property Owners Over 40 Years Old. (during WW1 in England) Born In Our Country.

Getting better.   Howzabout All White Male And Female Property Owners etc.?   Okay

Now we are somewhere getting.  Let's fight a war and then  allow People Who Are Not White, but can pass a "literacy"  test.....

Okay,  how  about  Anyone Who Is A Citizen (requirements?) and not a felon? 

Good, good.   Let's make it,  "Any Citizen Over 18 years of age who wants to vote " (must voluntarily register in advance).

Now to figure out how to encourage the registering AND voting

There were multiple efforts to restore felon voting rights.

Now, I'd also argue there is a desire to get non-citizens to vote too.  IMHO, I think that is what some of the voter ID laws were about.

Edited by fred johnson