I think using surplus gear is OK, but not for uniform items. I like the web belt with suspenders. You can clip on a lot of gear for hiking, and it's pretty comfy; not as hot as toting a day pack. I agree with FOG that the military E-tools (shovels) are about the best you can get, but most military equipment has a lighter weight/minimalist equivalent these days. I don't carry a heavy E-tool when I can get away with my trusty U-Dig-It shovel. And the ALICE pack? No way. There are many packs that are a LOT more comfortable than that old thing. The worst? The old shelter-halfs. Half of a canvas pup tent (find a buddy, or you are out of luck) with no floor (except your poncho, real fun when it rains), and weighs too much.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" And the ALICE pack? No way. There are many packs that are a LOT more comfortable than that old thing."

Maybe I'm strange (Okay I know that I'm strange) but I've never found having 50 lbs on my back to be comfortable, no matter how it is carried.

I got you beat on that "U-Dig-It" thing. I have a plastic garden trowel that I bought at Wally World for a buck. Feather weight, digs a hole and if I lose it, it cost less than a bottle of pop.

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of military quality equipment used in Scouting.......I have bought 15 Camelbak *HAWG* hydration daypacks (military OD version) for Scouts in the Troop (my son and I use ours on every outing including Colorado ski trips and whitewater rafting). The military versions are a much tougher design than the civy variety and drinking tubes are insulated, which is a big plus. They're fantastic for trail conservation projects, Scout camp or the hot/humid 2005 Jamboree.

Greeneagle5

"I am just a simple Soldier..."

(when my Commanders said that, it was time to watch out!!, for the big rock was gonna fall on YOUR HEAD!...)

...But it seems to me that Olive Green is one of the LEAST desireable colors for a Camelback, perhaps second only to BLACK. Something about absorbing the heat, vice reflecting it.

I've found recently that I am seeking out tan field gear, from my boonie hat to my Camelback cover.

John

Eine Oberst-Leutnant

My Scouting Background (as a boy) was in Bad Kreuznach Germany (BSA Troop 98). Although Military equipment from canteens to GP-Medium tents was often used, Military / Camoflage pants and jackets was strickly verboten. BSA Scouting in Germany has always required Scouts and Scouters to avoid any possible association with militarism. I will also add that virtually all BSA Troops in the Trans Atlatic Council are Nearby (or within) US Military bases.

Since getting back into Scouting with my son, I have been very surprised to see the BDU / Camo uniforms used with no apparent concern for image. I actually observed a Scout Troop at a Caporee last year where all the boys and an Adult were sporting BDU pants and maroon berets with their Class A shirts. I cannot exagerate how rediculus they looked. I was embarrased for them.

Bottom Line: Some Military / Camo gear is OK if it is consistant with the spirit of Scouting. Do not make the mistake of ignoring the motives of those who think Scouting should be more like the Military.

Cave Eagle

" I actually observed a Scout Troop at a Caporee last year where all the boys and an Adult were sporting BDU pants and maroon berets with their Class A shirts. I cannot exagerate how rediculus they looked. I was embarrased for them."

If you're going to be embarassed you should also be embarassed for using military terminolgy to describe a uniform. There is no such thing as a "Class A" uniform in Scouting.