Jump to content
qwazse

Origin of the Eagle Pledge and Eagle Charges

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, gblotter said:

 Isn't it enough to just acknowledge the other Eagle Scouts in the room by asking them to briefly stand?

That’s all I want :laugh:

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Scoutson #4 all the eagles were asked to sit in the seats closest to the center aisle.  When he was asked to come forward all the eagles stood faced the aisle, and saluted as he walked by.  It was especially meaningful as he has four older  cousins and a brother saluting his achievement, and welcoming him into the "nest"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tampa Turtle said:

People seem to like the Eagle's nest and it seems to help draw a little more attendance. 

I have seen units just ask the Eagles to stand. Others have taken select attending Eagles and asked them to be part of the honor guard escorting the candidate to the stage. Others have called all the Eagles to the stage to take the Eagle Charge and "reaffirm" their oath.

As @TAHAWK says, it is a personal choice and up to the candidate and his family to choose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last year or two we have them come up and give unit and date. Nice to see the old-timers (I think the oldest was 1947) and the college students who came back for a buddy (their old uniform bursting apart). Then they are invited to sit in "the Eagles Nest" which is just the chorus area near the alter...it is actually kind of nice. I am lukewarm on the whole "reaffirmation" thing. 

But it is the Scout's ceremony. They should decide--or wrestle with their parents on the ceremony.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

But it is the Scout's ceremony. They should decide--or wrestle with their parents on the ceremony.

Exactly. 

One thing our unit never really seemed to do was the awarding of mentor pins. Not sure why but in my years with the troop I think I've seen less than a handful given out.

When my son's ECOH came, he wanted to give out 15! You read that right, 15. His reason? He struggled as a youth and was lucky to have several teachers and other mentors (Scouting and civilian) who, without their help and belief in him,  he might have not ended up as fortunate as he was. He called them all on stage and awarded them their pins.

He didn't care what anyone might have thought. He wanted to show them that their hard work and investment of time and effort had paid off. Proud moment as a parent watching him pay back those folks in his own way.

@ItsBrian, I'd recommend taking time to do something like this. From family to friends, to teachers and religious leaders, acknowledge those who have helped you. I promise you it will be a moment you will never forget.

Edited by Col. Flagg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Col. Flagg said:

Exactly. 

One thing our unit never really seemed to do was the awarding of mentor pins. Not sure why but in my years with the troop I think I've seen less than a handful given out.

When my son's ECOH came, he wanted to give out 15! You read that right, 15. His reason? He struggled as a youth and was lucky to have several teachers and other mentors (Scouting and civilian) who, without their help and belief in him,  he might have not ended up as fortunate as he was. He called them all on stage and awarded them their pins.

He didn't care what anyone might have thought. He wanted to show them that their hard work and investment of time and effort had paid off. Proud moment as a parent watching him pay back those folks in his own way.

Son #1 who had a lot of difficulties, handed out 5 or 6. It seems all our Eagles hand out 2 or 3. The Life to Eagle coordinator often gets one and a beloved old Scoutmaster still gets some but the boys who still had him are aging out. One scoutmaster widow often gets one on behalf of her late husband (who died too early). Most go to a Scoutmaster. A few to a teacher, religious leader, or coach. Rarer still are the ones to ASM's. I got one a year ago and was really touched when the scout started talking about me being a father figure and all that--I was shocked. Son#2 is wrestling with the selection process now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Son #1 who had a lot of difficulties, handed out 5 or 6. It seems all our Eagles hand out 2 or 3. The Life to Eagle coordinator often gets one and a beloved old Scoutmaster still gets some but the boys who still had him are aging out. One scoutmaster widow often gets one on behalf of her late husband (who died too early). Most go to a Scoutmaster. A few to a teacher, religious leader, or coach. Rarer still are the ones to ASM's. I got one a year ago and was really touched when the scout started talking about me being a father figure and all that--I was shocked. Son#2 is wrestling with the selection process now.

Most mentor pins in our Troop go to Either the Scoutmaster, or even more commonly, the Scouts Father. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2018 at 5:24 PM, gblotter said:

Isn't it enough to just acknowledge the other Eagle Scouts in the room by asking them to briefly stand?

We like to have all the Eagles in the room join in a rousing rendition of the Big Joe Turner favorite "Flip, Flop and Fly"...tough to get the horns and saxophones coordinated due to practice time constraints, also the sunglasses and dark suits can be a sourcing issue.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sentinel947 said:

Most mentor pins in our Troop go to Either the Scoutmaster, or even more commonly, the Scouts Father. 

Yeah I almost got one but told my son the "dad" pin was fine. I think it is fair for a SM to get one because folks have NO idea how much behind the scenes 'stuff' they have to put with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Yeah I almost got one but told my son the "dad" pin was fine. I think it is fair for a SM to get one because folks have NO idea how much behind the scenes 'stuff' they have to put with.

Yea. It's whatever the Scout wants to do in my opinion. I'm very fortunate to have been given three in my time as an ASM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

Yea. It's whatever the Scout wants to do in my opinion. I'm very fortunate to have been given three in my time as an ASM. 

Congrats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Congrats. 

I suppose that looked like I was bragging a bit. I'm definitely honored by them, but there's not really a set criteria for who gets awarded them so I don't take the mentor pins all that seriously. I know what I've done to support the various Eagle Scouts, and that's the real reward, is being part of a young mans Eagle Scout journey. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re the Eagle's nest, asking all Eagles to stand, etc:

Maybe it's just me, but as the years slip by, I have become increasingly uncomfortable when I'm recognized for something I earned 40 years ago.  There is no need to congratulate me, or pat me on the back.

The new Eagle, other Eagles in his family, Eagles he climbed the trail with--great, put the spotlight on them.  But random old dude like me?  No thanks.

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×