Webelos First Responder Adventure

Hi everyone, 

I have a Webelos 1 den and just curious how everyone handled the First Responder Adventure. We just attended a Webelos camp where three of our guys worked on some of the requirements, but it was done by someone certified in first aid. I don't have any experience with it and I have 13 more kids to get through that section (yes, our den has 16). 

Any thoughts?

RJ

• 2 weeks later...

One of the Boy Scout troops in our area held a 4-hour First Responder training session for several packs. Probably around 50 Webelos/AOLs got trained, including 10 Webelos and 5 AOLs from our pack. No requirement that the training be done by a professional. I tested my Webelos after the training, and they did a good job! You would still need to arrange to have the boys talk with a first responder, but that is generally easy to arrange for scouts.

We were lucky in that a former Cubmaster for the Pack works at a hospital.  You might check if there are any Explorer posts in your area specializing in medicine or emergency services.  Or check with the local Troops, undoubtedly some units have medical profesionals that would love to help.

Our troop does a zombie themed First Responder. It's the most popular event of our outreach program. Fortunately we have access to first responder personnel in our neighborhood.

Last year our sign ups got away from us and we had 70 Webelos show up, way too many didn't work out. This year we're limiting attendance to a manageable 25. 

As other suggested, use resources within your pack. Then go to your CO's troop. If that doesn't help, get a First Aid MB counselor to help. And if that doesn't help, use any personal contacts in the medical field.

My pack is fortunate in that we have a bunch of MDs, RNs, and EMTs in the pack. That is one of the first, if not the first adventures, they did. Unfortunately the den also saw their ADL, DL, and ACM go into action on one of the den's field trips.

One thing that may help reinforce the skills is using them as victims in  Boy Scout first Aid training/ events.  My Webelos, and Wolf were victims for a first aid drill Oldest son's troop did. Webelos even was able to give some feedback to the Scouts!  At the district camporee, I've asked two dens to rotate as victims for the first aid scenario.

When my son was a Webelos last year, we had a first responder come in and talk to the kids. They showed them a lot of cool things and talked about a good portion of what they had to do for that adventure. Then the DL talked to the kids about the different things that were not covered. I recently just did a Webelosree and set it up so that station where the 4th graders did the first-aid, they talked about it, demonstrated it, then they played a variation of the first responder relay found in the den leader guidebook. This allowed the Scouts to learn using the EDGE method. In my opinion, that is the best way to teach kids. Hope this help.

Go to the nearest firestation and talk to them to see if they will do it for you at the firestation.  That is what we did and the boys just loved that a fireman worked with them.  We brought treats for the firemen to share, who doesn't just love a firestation?

• Upvote 1

Our troop does a zombie themed First Responder. It's the most popular event of our outreach program. Fortunately we have access to first responder personnel in our neighborhood.

Last year our sign ups got away from us and we had 70 Webelos show up, way too many didn't work out. This year we're limiting attendance to a manageable 25. 

That sounds so fun!  Could you give me a few more details about it?

• 2 weeks later...

We are a relatively small community, but we visit our local ambulance service, We have a paramedic teach the skills and get to check out the back of an ambulance.  It works great for us and the boys enjoy seeing the inside of an ambulance

• 2 weeks later...

Curious how many den meetings people are needing to get this adventure done. In my opinion, this is the biggest, hardest, most complicated, whatever adventure of the Webelos rank

I have three and a half den meetings dedicated to content plus an event they get to practice in staged scenarios (we're planning to do this zombie apocalypse themed).

Meeting one (half of meeting): What is first aid and what are hurry cases, regular cases, minor cases

Meeting two: hurry cases and stroke and choking

Meeting three: everything else (frostbite, snake bites, etc.)

Meeting four: each Webelos teaches one of the of the previously covered items

Zombie Apocalypse: den is broken into teams and goes from stage to stage

Edited by MattHiggins