What should the Troop pay for at ECOH?

The "answers" going around my District vary considerably, somewhat like asking what is the best ice cream. Here's a sampling from a side session at RT:

• Everything, it's just like a Blue & Gold
  • The refreshments ...and cups and...
  • Just the Eagle kit.
  • Well certainly the Eagle kit but also the Eagle gift.
  • No, the parents and scout decide what they want and pay for the whole thing themselves.
  • Depends if there is any money in the Troop account.   (There's always one wiseguy.)

Also heard this question - Can a scout use his Scout account (yes still in use) to pay for his ECOH?

Somewhat a pointless discussion, as people will continue to do whatever they want, particularly if their son is the Eagle having a COH.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to me it depends on whether it's a family ceremony or a Troop ceremony.  In my opinion, all Eagle Scout Courts of Honors should be Troop events.  We don't ask the families to put together Courts

We have COH's.  Sometimes we have had boys reach the rank of Eagle.  It's all part of the COH.  If someone wishes to have something more than that, it's up to the family.  Troop provides the rank patc

I understand Beavah and desertrat77's views, and agree with them to a degree. I've heard of over the top ECOHs, but have been fortunate in that the bulk are "traditional" in that they use the troop's

Not sure what we do do since we merged (haven't had a ECoR yet). Previously, the troop just payed for the award kit.

As to what should be done ...

This is one of those things that should be allowed to vary from troop to troop. In these parts, we have massive HS graduation parties (I've been told that this not the case elsewhere.) So, our last-minute Eagles have been folding the ECoR in with that blow-out. But even with scouts who Eagled in a more timely fashion, families fronted the cost of refreshments, and it was a matter of personal pride as to the quality of food served. (Maybe it served as the taste-testing before the grad party?)

I'm sure with other troops, especially those who like to have multiple Eagles awarded at the same time, all of the expenses are shared.

It's a big country. The diversity should be accommodated. If one way is a hardship, you're probably running up against different cultures with different priorities. Act differently.

Our Troop the Eagle Kit and a grocery store sheet cake. PLC and Life Scouts expected to offer services. Typically CO provides use of venue, schedule permitting. Family pays for everything else. The Troop provides more organizational support when there are multiple scouts involved. 

I'll bet my answer is unique.  Our troop pays for the Eagle kit (not unique) and provides $100 (call it a grant, stipend, gift or whatever you wish) to the family for use in putting on an ECOH.  Anything over that amount is the family's responsibility.  I am not quite sure how that got started, but there it is.  Obviously that would not work in many troops but we are fortunate to have the resources to do it.

Our troop pays for the Eagle kit, Eagle neckerchief & slide, a CSP our council has that says "Eagle Scout", and an Eagle square knot for their uniform when they age out and (hopefully) stay on as a Scouter.  Our CO provides use of a venue, and we do a potluck dinner.  The troop will provide paper products, drinks and a sheet cake for that.

The "answers" going around my District vary considerably, somewhat like asking what is the best ice cream. Here's a sampling from a side session at RT:

• Everything, it's just like a Blue & Gold
  • The refreshments ...and cups and...
  • Just the Eagle kit.
  • Well certainly the Eagle kit but also the Eagle gift.
  • No, the parents and scout decide what they want and pay for the whole thing themselves.
  • Depends if there is any money in the Troop account.   (There's always one wiseguy.)

Also heard this question - Can a scout use his Scout account (yes still in use) to pay for his ECOH?

Somewhat a pointless discussion, as people will continue to do whatever they want, particularly if their son is the Eagle having a COH.

Should be up to the Committee. 

For our troop, the general thing is that the Troop buys the Eagle kit and an Eagle necker and slide, and we usually frame the certificate.  The parents do the rest, and what they do in terms of refreshments is up to them. Some do a cake. Some do a meal. Some just do snacks.  With both of my sons, we did a meal, but that was partly because we had people in from out of town, and that makes for a festive occasion. That said, it makes sense that his Scout account could be used to reimburse--it's a scouting activity. 

Edited by perdidochas

Seems to me it depends on whether it's a family ceremony or a Troop ceremony.  In my opinion, all Eagle Scout Courts of Honors should be Troop events.  We don't ask the families to put together Courts of Honor for when their sons earn Tenderfoot, or First Class or Life or any other rank - the Troops do them.  Troops should have a standard Eagle Scout Court of Honor ceremony - it can be a short one that fits in with their normal Court of Honor, or they can have a separate Court of Honor with a simple sheet cake (or cobbler - yum) reception afterwards that the Troop pays for (and it shouldn't cost all that much).  If the family wants to have a big party for it - they can have it at their home in their backyard and they can pay for that part.

The big family planned Courts of Honor with the big party and the graduation/wedding like ceremony attached to the party is one of those things that the BSA should have not encouraged (another one, for example, would be troop-only merit badge counselors).  It's probably long past time for Troops to start standing up to these things and remind parents that their son is part of a TROOP that helped him along the path of Eagle Scout and that the TROOP does the Court of Honor.  If the family insists that they want to schedule, plan and run the Court of Honor, then the Troop should make it clear that there will be no funding for any part of it from the Troop, there will be no Troop equipment made available (including flags), there will be no working around their date in the Troop's calendar, and the only thing the Troop will provide will be the cloth patch and the medal - no Eagle kit, no neckerchiefs or bolos - just the basics.

• Upvote 2

@@CalicoPenn, file it under "you just don't get U.S."

... The big family planned Courts of Honor with the big party and the graduation/wedding like ceremony attached to the party is one of those things that the BSA should have not encouraged ... It's probably long past time for Troops to start standing up to these things ...

Because, really, what scoutmaster wants to have a full course meal that includes rolled grape leaves, stuffed cabbage, and baklava?

And cake in Western PA without a cookie table (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/16/dining/16cookies.html?_r=0)? You don't have to understand. Just accept. But, I figure this tradition started when some big sister was at her brother's ECoH in the 50's, they all went to the back of the hall for cookies and punch, and she thought in whatever ethnic dialect her family thought such thoughts, "My wedding would be so much more fun, if only ..."

Edited by qwazse

As I recall separate ECOH were the exception; they were a schedule accommodation made for a scout soon leaving for the service or college.

Back in the day, my ECOH was part of a regular troop meeting COH. Fellow scouts were presented their rank awards ahead of me, the finale-Eagle. Now doesn't that make sense! It was a tight-run ceremony (90 minutes on a school night) much to relief of all present, including me.

IMO, when separate ECOH became the rule rather than the exception, troops lost control and understandably so. Good luck to the BSA or Councils in trying to undo the present entitlement of 3-4 hour Eagle coronations.

Home Troop:  Eagle kit, award, mentor pins, etc.

Family:  Cake, BBQ,  hot dogs whatever. Picnic, campfire,....

My best Eagle ceremony of memory (other than Scoutson's) :  Two Eagle'd   friends arranged a campout on grandparents farm. Folks had to hike in about 500 yds with their camp chairs  to the site. Everyone brought something, veggies, potato salad, etc. Ceremony with candles, smiles and solemnity.  Memories shared.  Flames stared into. After dark, when things were officially over, most of the old folks hiked out to home. The Scouts stayed around the campfire and I don't really think many actually went to sleep that night.

Seems to me it depends on whether it's a family ceremony or a Troop ceremony.  In my opinion, all Eagle Scout Courts of Honors should be Troop events.  We don't ask the families to put together Courts of Honor for when their sons earn Tenderfoot, or First Class or Life or any other rank - the Troops do them.  Troops should have a standard Eagle Scout Court of Honor ceremony - it can be a short one that fits in with their normal Court of Honor, or they can have a separate Court of Honor with a simple sheet cake (or cobbler - yum) reception afterwards that the Troop pays for (and it shouldn't cost all that much).  If the family wants to have a big party for it - they can have it at their home in their backyard and they can pay for that part.

The big family planned Courts of Honor with the big party and the graduation/wedding like ceremony attached to the party is one of those things that the BSA should have not encouraged (another one, for example, would be troop-only merit badge counselors).  It's probably long past time for Troops to start standing up to these things and remind parents that their son is part of a TROOP that helped him along the path of Eagle Scout and that the TROOP does the Court of Honor.  If the family insists that they want to schedule, plan and run the Court of Honor, then the Troop should make it clear that there will be no funding for any part of it from the Troop, there will be no Troop equipment made available (including flags), there will be no working around their date in the Troop's calendar, and the only thing the Troop will provide will be the cloth patch and the medal - no Eagle kit, no neckerchiefs or bolos - just the basics.

Well, in our Troop the family planned ECOHs are Troop events.  For my sons, I looked at the nice meal we served at the ECOH as a kind of thank you to the Troop.  I think it should be left up to the family and committee to decide. 

We have COH's.  Sometimes we have had boys reach the rank of Eagle.  It's all part of the COH.  If someone wishes to have something more than that, it's up to the family.  Troop provides the rank patch like they would for any other rank advancement.  I as SM provided a small personal gift to the Eagles, but the troop does not.

The COH's are run by the boys and the PL makes the presentation of the award to his patrol member.

If the scout or his family wants more than that, they need to make arrangements with the PL prior to the ceremony, i.e. parent pins, mentor pins, comments by the scout(s), etc.   If there is going to be any reception beyond the regular Koolaid and cookies, it's up to the family to provide that.

• Upvote 2