Day trip add-on ideas near Sea Base.

Our troop has registered for a high adventure trip to Sea Base in July 2017.  We're traveling from mid Missouri and, because of travel arrangements, we'll have an extra day to use.  I'm searching for day-trip ideas in the area.

Affordability and availability are obvious considerations but mostly just needs to be fun for boys and adults alike.

Our troop has registered for a high adventure trip to Sea Base in July 2017.  We're traveling from mid Missouri and, because of travel arrangements, we'll have an extra day to use.  I'm searching for day-trip ideas in the area.

Affordability and availability are obvious considerations but mostly just needs to be fun for boys and adults alike.

While it's not the ideal season for it (hot and buggy), I would bring plenty of bug spray and go to the Everglades. The Everglades are located at the tip of the Peninsula, and you pass within 10 miles of the park when you are going to the Keys. 

Edited by perdidochas

If you're driving in from Miami, maybe spend a day at Pennekamp State Park (Key Largo).  Also Theatre of the Seas in Islamorada is fun, but can get a little costly with the "add-ons" (swim with dolphins, stingrays, etc).

If they want the Central FL theme park experience, and only have one day, I'd suggest Legoland in Winter Haven.  If any of the boys or their younger siblings are in "Lego Club" their magazine has had BOGO coupons in the past.

Depending on what your Sea Base itinerary is, maybe consider a party-boat fishing day--thought that may not be a "hit" if you're already planning on doing a lot of fishing on your expedition.

Lots of fun touristy stuff in Key West if you want to drive down there then double back to Sea Base.  Mel Fischer's treasure museum is always a hit, as are some of the "History of Key West" type of places.

While it's not the ideal season for it (hot and buggy), I would bring plenty of bug spray and go to the Everglades. The Everglades are located at the tip of the Peninsula, and you pass within 10 miles of the park when you are going to the Keys. 

The 'glades are impressive.

I personally was impressed with the drive down Krome Avenue (runs north-south to the East of Miami). It's truly a breadbasket of the south. The driving is not fast. But the roadside stands are something to see. There's some good eating to be found in Homestead.

Key West is neat (once you find a place to park) because you can rent bicycles and tool around nicely. I enjoyed biking it looking for geocaches.

Warning: scuttlebutt from captains is that some scout-leaders are less than discrete about alcohol use on their "free" days at KW. Know your people, if this is an issue, choose your locations accordingly.

.. Krome Avenue (runs north-south to the East of Miami). ...

Correction: to the west of Miami!

By the way @@sliptonic, what kind of adventure are you all taking? That might determine the day activity. (E.g., if you are sailing all week, a day kayaking or tarpon/permit fishing might be fun. If you are island-adventure kayaking, you might want to try a day of sailing, etc ...).

Also, are your scouts rural or urban? (By urban, I mean mixed-language communities.) We hung out at Miami Beach before and after our first week there. Let's just say the language challenges were part of the adventure!

Edited by qwazse

The 'glades are impressive.

I personally was impressed with the drive down Krome Avenue (runs north-south to the East of Miami). It's truly a breadbasket of the south. The driving is not fast. But the roadside stands are something to see. There's some good eating to be found in Homestead.

"Robert is Here" is a great place for fruit flavored milkshakes (as well as all sorts of produce). It's a  roadside stand on steroids, and is on the way in to the park from Florida City.

• Upvote 1