Patrols 300ft, Marijuana 500ft?

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2016/09/boy_scouts_troop_leaders_prote.html

A proposed medical marijuana facility would host an 8,467-square-foot medical marijuana grow operation. The building would be about 500 feet from the Boy Scouts of America office, also on Bestech Drive in Ann Arbor, MI. (This is the Ann Arbor Service Center of the Southern Shores Field Service Council of the Michigan Crossroads Council)

Boy Scout Troop Leader Raymond Davis described the Scouts office building as an important facility, with a purpose similar to that of a church or school. He is concerned about any possible odor or crime related to the grow operation.

Pittsfield Township code states that no medical marijuana facility or medical marijuana grow operation shall be located or operated within 500 feet of a residence or school.

I dunno, maybe this will make it easier to get adults to make trips and take training at the Service Center?  :blink:

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can think of a lot of ways to describe a Council Service Center, but school or Church are not among them.

An enterprising troop could sell the heck out of some popcorn....

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2016/09/boy_scouts_troop_leaders_prote.html   A proposed medical marijuana facility would host an 8,467-square-foot medical marijuana grow operation. Th

Do they do overnights on the HQ lawn? Envisioning an alternative to the 1000ft high climb requirement 9b for Camping ...

Maybe make it a weekend and do requirement 9c

Perform a conservation project approved by the landowner or land managing agency

First of all, it seems like the location of this facility has become a local POLITICAL issue, so when the Scout leaders go to a public meeting to voice their opinions, they should not be in uniform, nor should they be bringing uniformed Scouts to make a point about the issue.

As for the issue itself, based solely on the facts in the article, I do not see why this kind of facility should be prohibited within 500 feet of a council service center.  Apparently it is already prohibited within 500 feet of a residence or school, so depending on how this particular town is laid out, there probably are already only a limited number of places where it could be built.  Start drawing more 500-foot circles, and it may be that it could not be built anywhere at all.  I suspect there is more going on here than this article tells us about, and that the proximity of this facility to the council service center may not be the real issue.

I find it interesting that not a single poster (including me) has expressed support for the position taken by these leaders and Scouts.  Mainly a bunch of subtle drug jokes.

I'll confess that of things I fail to take seriously, this is one of them.

Partly because:

• drug dependence (especially to this one) has caused rifts among family and friends to the point that laughter covers tears.
  • I do hold out hope that regulated production may curb certain types of abuse.
  • I've come across the plants in the wild (not part of any production) and was largely unimpressed.

As far as impact on scouting ... every plot of tightly controlled land (e.g. GM corn fields, of which we have a few around here) is one more place boys can't hike, camp, or play capture the flag in. If that was the issue raised, I'd be more empathetic.

Edited by qwazse

After the meeting, Boy Scout Mark Nitkiewicz told the Ann Arbor News it was his first public meeting.

"It was very interesting, there were a lot of good points," Nitkiewicz said. "I thought everybody had some fair points."

Good Citz in Comm public meeting.  I'm sure I'll the scouts I counsel on this badge would have been interested and attentive.

After the meeting, Boy Scout Mark Nitkiewicz told the Ann Arbor News it was his first public meeting.

"It was very interesting, there were a lot of good points," Nitkiewicz said. "I thought everybody had some fair points."

Good Citz in Comm public meeting.  I'm sure I'll the scouts I counsel on this badge would have been interested and attentive.

If that's the purpose for which the Scouts attended the meeting, that's great.  And around here, Scouts (Boy and Girl) generally attend public meetings for MB purposes in uniform.  (That's probably bending the rules, but I think it has a benefit because the presiding officer seeing Scouts in uniform will almost always give them some recognition, and if there is an opportunity the Scouts will be greeted by members of the public body seeking to curry favor with present and future voters wishing to extend the hand of fellowship to the youth of their community.)

If they are instead there to advocate a particular position, that's great too, and it is part of being a good citizen - but not in uniform.

I find it interesting that not a single poster (including me) has expressed support for the position taken by these leaders and Scouts.  Mainly a bunch of subtle drug jokes.

I pretty much agree with Desertrat. The Scouting service centers are mainly used by adults.  The few kids that come through are accompanied by their parents. Also, this is a "medical" marijuana dispensary, so it's not like their will be a big party going on outside. 

I would take the concerns seriously if a Pablo Escobar-type kingpin set up operations next to the service center.   Some out of control "Tony Montana" Scarface dude running dope and dealers 24/7.    Then something should be done.

But the proposed facility is in fact a legal one.   The product will be distributed to people with valid prescriptions.    I can't think of a single reason why the new facility can't proceed as planned.

I would take the concerns seriously if a Pablo Escobar-type kingpin set up operations next to the service center.   Some out of control "Tony Montana" Scarface dude running dope and dealers 24/7.    Then something should be done.

But the proposed facility is in fact a legal one.   The product will be distributed to people with valid prescriptions.    I can't think of a single reason why the new facility can't proceed as planned.

Googling, and I find there have been a number nighttime break-ins. daytime robberies and disturbances, and even a shootout (2011), at legal marijuana dispensaries in the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area so I can understand those concerns. The irony may be that the owner is looking for a safer location - a dead end street with the Boy Scouts as neighbors.  :dry:

• Upvote 1