Eagle Scout has no plans to stop at 120 badges

TIMOTHY J. GONZALEZ / Statesman Journal

Sergei Zelenskei of Woodburn has earned all of the 120 merit badges offered by the Boy Scouts of America.

The Woodburn teen has proposed two more skills for his meritorious list.

MATT MONAGHAN

Statesman Journal

March 11, 2004

Be prepared is the motto of the Boy Scouts of America, and perhaps no one lives up to that credo more than Sergei Zelenskei.

The 17-year-old Russian immigrant from Woodburn has earned all of the 120 merit badges commissioned by the national scouting organization.

Each merit badge represents a different skill area from forestry to wilderness survival in which the Scout must successfully demonstrate a mastery of the requirements needed to obtain the badge.

Zelenskeis feat is so rare, the Boy Scouts dont even keep a record of how many others have accomplished it.

I called the regional office in Portland and asked who else had ever gotten all the badges, and they could think of only one other person in Oregon, said Zelenskei, displaying his sash full of badges and medals.

As if that is not meritorious enough, Zelenskei also has submitted proposals to the Boy Scouts to add two more merit badges to the list for physics and biology skills.

In December, Zelenskei attained the Boy Scouts highest rank: Eagle Scout.

To put Zelenskeis achievement into perspective, his Scoutmaster, Don Stitt, said the average Eagle Scout earns between 25 and 30 merit badges.

His reputation is known pretty far and wide among those involved with Boy Scouts, Stitt said.

Zelenskei came to the United States with his family in 1998. He joined the Scouts through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints when he was 12.

At first, the Boy Scouts organization was a way for Zelenskei to meet and socialize with other kids in his community.

It was my way of being able to talk to people, he said.

He will graduate from Woodburn High School this spring and plans to attend Penn State University in the fall.

Zelenskeis mother, Irina, said her sons scouting challenged both her and her husband, Alex, in a unique way.

In Russia, my husband and I did not drive, but Sergei was always asking us to take him places for the merit badges so we had to learn, Irina Zelenskei said.

One badge in particular pushed Zelenskei to his limits and almost derailed his quest to earn all of the badges.

In wilderness survival, Zelenskei had to spend a night in the forest, but because of fire danger he wasnt allowed to build a fire. He said it made for a long, cold experience.

That was interesting, he said. I didnt think I was going to do any more merit badges after that.

What kept him going was a sense of curiosity and a passion for exploration.

You can learn a lot from all these people who know things about a particular area, Zelenskei said. Even if you dont remember everything, you take away bits and pieces of useful knowledge.

Despite leaving his troop to attend college later in the year, Zelenskei isnt abandoning his scouting life and has lofty ambitions with the organization.

I want to be the national scouting executive one day, he said.

This is a fantastic accomplishment! I too am impressed. I loved this comment:

What kept him going was a sense of curiosity and a passion for exploration.

You can learn a lot from all these people who know things about a particular area, Zelenskei said. Even if you dont remember everything, you take away bits and pieces of useful knowledge.

Now that is what those merit badges are all about! I'm printing and sharing this article with our troop. Thanks Eisely!

Still very impressive. I wonder if this wasn't deliberately done in order to show everything on the uniform--since the article does tell about how very many badges he has earned. It doesn't look like 120 merit badges can fit on that sash though, does it?