Mama Bear....have good news

Sounds good.  I suppose that if I were cursed with thinking like a lawyer 24 hours a day (oh wait, I am) I couldn't help but notice that the new SM is probably "adding to the requirements" a little, but he's doing it in an understandable and constructive way, so if your son is ok with it, that's fine.

Sounds good.  I suppose that if I were cursed with thinking like a lawyer 24 hours a day (oh wait, I am) I couldn't help but notice that the new SM is probably "adding to the requirements" a little, but he's doing it in an understandable and constructive way, so if your son is ok with it, that's fine.

I saw that he "asked" the son if he could get to know him for a couple of months before haiving a Scoutmaster's conference.  Asking isn't requiring.  And unless the old SM will sign off on Scout Spirit (yeah, not likely), three months is a reasonable time to get to know a scout.  

Also, being blessed to think like a laywer 24x7, you could interpret the word "your" troop in the six month active requirement and six month POR requirement to mean the troop from which the scout is seeking to become an Eagle.  If they meant the requirement otherwise it would be "a" troop.  :p

Edited by Hedgehog
... Also, being blessed to think like a laywer 24x7, you could interpret the word "your" troop in the six month active requirement and six month POR requirement to mean the troop from which the scout is seeking to become an Eagle.  If they meant the requirement otherwise it would be "a" troop.  :p

@@Hedgehog, you're reading into the text! Both troops are his. (He has the membership cards to prove it, no doubt.) So time served in either counts.

Truth is rank advancement was never designed to function under these contentious circumstances. It was never designed to be such a paperwork burden either.

For example, there is something about the current Eagle Project Workbook, which if you look at the structure from novice perspective is a good teaching tool for project management. But, in the hands of micromanaging adults, it becomes an invitation for overreach. As a result boy learns more about bureaucratic delay than about how to mobilize a community to accomplish some good in the world.

Zuzyson's SM has the best of all possible worlds. Everyone else has obsessed over the paperwork. All he has to do is observe his new scout and see if his character matches that of an Eagle ... not hard to do if you start with a positive attitude.

• Upvote 1

@@Hedgehog, you're reading into the text! Both troops are his. (He has the membership cards to prove it, no doubt.) So time served in either counts.

I agree.   I was intentionally being overly "lawyerly" with my reading for @@NJCubScouter 's amusement.  

The Eagle Project Workbook is a nightmare.  It needs to be streamlined and simplifed to reflect "Lean" project management goals of removing unnecessary steps.  It also fails to recognize that the best leadership doesn't fit into a linear form.  The best leaders that I know find bureaucratic processes cumbersome and circumvent them to accompish their goal.  That would be a great spin-off thread -- how to fix the Eagle Project Workbook.

My frustration with BSA advancement and other guidance (e.g. G2SS, Rank Advancement, MB Requirements) is the ability to interpret it any way you want to justify what you are doing.  It seems to me that there should be the simple guidelines but also a more detailed reference guide that explains everything in detail.  Again, another good spinoff -- why I should be the BSA's "Writer-in-Chief."

Ultimately, this thread is about how @@zuzy's son has turned a nightmare scenaro into a happy ending.  Congratulations to him.

• Upvote 1