Dish-washing error corrected in Handbook

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My suggestions to nascent Scouts and leaders is as follows:  1)  If Big Pot is not being used for cooking, fill with  water and put on stove/fire at first.  Let it get to boiling. In any event, get a

So according to that study, it's a better process to switch 2 and 3 around so that the sanitizing solution is used before the final rinse.    This not only gets the dishes cleaner but also rinses off the sanitizer

That's the way I understand it.

We ought to be open to new science.

The gent who advocated for the former and current B.S.A. method is a PhD in microbiology and also in Public Health.  He ended up working for the WHO in Switzerland until he retired.  I'll ask him what he thinks.  He's back in the U.S.A..

The sanitizer BSA suggests is a gas.  B.S.A. is calling for a "few drops" of "bleach" in what looks to be an 80% full 8-quart pot.  This method leaves no chance to leave behind any significant residue of the chlorine gas.  It is also pretty imprecise.  Detergent residue has been an issue raised previously.

Clorox, the company, suggests 2 teasp/gallon or 2.6%

The MB author of the cited study suggests 4% chlorine bleach uin her summary chart but used other sanitizers besides chlorine.  When she speaks of sanitizer residue she does not distinguish or specify that chlorine bleach left residue even at the greatly elevated levels that she used.

Assuming that her paper was peer-reviewed, what did the peers say?

Has B.S.A. reviewed her paper?

Edited by TAHAWK

My suggestions to nascent Scouts and leaders is as follows:  1)  If Big Pot is not being used for cooking, fill with  water and put on stove/fire at first.  Let it get to boiling. In any event, get a pot of water on to boil BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE.

2) Use for cocoa, oatmeal, coffee, other cooking as needed, Dip out with "dedicated " dipper cup. 3) Water duty Scout keeps it near full. Keep on fire thru meal. 3) When it is time to do dishes, put out three tubs or however it is intended.  Dip really hot water into #1  Wash tub, temper with cold water, add detergent.  Dip really hot water into second rinse tub, temper with some cold water.  Do the chlorine rinse in cold water third tub.   4) When first tub gets too dirty, dispose into "sump", move #2 into #1 position, add detergent.   Temper with dipped hot water.  First tub now becomes second. Hot water, temper with cold.  

Note that having boiling water ready BEFORE dishwashing is desired is a good thing.  And SM likes the coffee first thing in morning.    

As an alternative to dishwashing, I also offer the Courageous Cookery plan, but this supposes individual cooking....       https://www.dropbox.com/s/je3wh2ao0u2fd4v/CourageousCookery.docx?dl=0  

I have and can again  copy this in toto onto these pages, but it is rather lengthy.

Buon appetito. .

• Upvote 1

Everyone has their own idea of what works.  I just did a stint in a flood zone where FEMA policy and Red Cross practice, handed out Clorox to combat mold and act as an anti-bacterial.  The local health department said vinegar works better than bleach.  

I guess it just depends on which way the wind is blowing that day.

There may be several methods that work - each to its own degree.  

We could vote on what's best.

B.S.A. says a needled compass points "north" (to the negative pole) because the compass needle is "metal."  Let's vote.  I like copper.

And how many advocate for 3 tubs, chemical sanitizing solution, or even soap as required. Those in the "field" just wipe and rinse, soap is used only for really greasy foods (although those with more experience have found that to not even be necessary).