Just got my hardbound copy yesterday. Not bad at all, but then again BoyScout handbooks and fieldbooks are great anyway. I was torned between hardbound and spiral bound. Maybe I'll come back and get the spiral bound this weekend (for my son ... that's it ... yeah for my son ;) ).

1Hour

Can't wait to see the finished product. Unfortunately our council service center is in the process of becoming a national scout shop. So things there are chaotic at best while they pack-up the existing inventory-remodel-and reopen. I'll give them a couple weeks before I try to order it.

BW

The new Fieldbook looks nice. I haven't gotten one yet, but the council was selling them at the door during the council recognition dinner a couple weeks ago. I didn't buy one, because they only had the soft cover version, and they were charging a price higher than that in the catalog. Since there is a national shop in Louisville (nice to have one about 5 mins. away) I assume they will have it at the same price the catalog does.

I got the new Field Book a few weeks ago, thanks to my wife. The spiral bound was quite a bit more expensive and my wife go the other one instead (boo hoo). It is a nice reference to have.

I didn't question the price difference at the Scout Store either. They had the "permabound" book listed for $25.95 (a mistake I think). The hardbound that I got turns out to be $27.95. The spiral bound was listed at $19.95, but I think that it's $25.95 and the soft bound one is $19.95. There were only 4 hardbounds and 5 spiral bounds left on the shelf while there were a boat load of the soft cover ones. So it looks it is pretty popular around here

It's worth that extra $2 for the hardbound, but the spiral is more useful when I'm out and about. They should do away with the soft bounding such as that of the Scout Handbook (or at least make the binding a whole lot better). My son's handbook fell apart 3 months into scouting. The spiral bound Handbook makes more sense.

1Hour

I got a new FieldBook for my troop about two weeks ago and it still hasn't made it into the troop library because I've been reading it. I'm very impressed with it. I think its added a lot of higher level information that you didn't find in the past. It got me all fired up about going on some adventures this year.

Our Scout Shop had the soft cover version but also sells a cloth cover (with a velcro closure) for it. I like the idea of the cover and bought one... similar to the cover for the Handbook the boys use but a little larger and green with red edging rather than black cloth. It has a ribbon sewn in to use as a page marker.

I just bought one yesterday for little KS, the hardbound. Now, he's gotten into his Handbook and the MB pamphlets when he needed to, but they weren't night-stand reading material for him.

I gave him the Fieldbook with sufficient fanfare for a $23 purchase. He flipped through it, stopping at several of the excellent photos and illustrations -- "...hey look, a GPS.." "...animals; cool...", and so on.

A short time later, the TV was off, and he was in my recliner, reading the new Fieldbook as a leisure activity...without prompting.

Outstanding effort and results, BSA! The number of illustrations and photos alone is a big improvement -- reminds one of the 9th Edition of the Handbook in some ways.

If you haven't gotten one yet, check it out.

KS

I am going to post this and duck!!

National send me a free copy!!!

I think this is the first thing that I have ever got for free without asking first.

I was a little disappointed in the cover But I didn't know that there were choices.

As yet I have only flipped through it and will try to make time to give it a good read.

Eamonn.

Wow, Eamonn, we knew you were special but didn't know you were that special :)

I got a copy of the fieldbook yesterday. I LOVE it. The illustrations are fabulous. Last year I purchased a fieldbook. It has good info, but it doesn't begin to have the appeal to it that this does. I've a feeling there will be more copies of this book in our home--all the family love it, and though we share, I got the soft cover, and those just don't last on trips.

Bought one of the spiral bound copies just before the meeting tonight. "Accidently" left it out on the table opened on the pages on winter camping. Most of the scouts stopped and took a good long look. Hopefully I got something started ;-)

Phil