RT Topic - Cub Scouts and Cooking

I'm a Roundtable Commissioner, and next month's topic is Cub Scouts and Cooking.  I have an idea of the information I'd like to share, but it occurred to me that I'm potentially wasting a great resource - all of you!  So here's your chance... if you were going to attend a Roundtable on Cub Scouts and Cooking, what would you want to see, learn, or experience?

If the logistics work out, I'm going to bring along my dutch ovens, and most likely do a Cobbler (or two) and some type of casserole.  I'm also hoping to demonstrate foil packet meals and pie irons.  Our Big Rock topic is going to be Meal Planning for Groups with Dietary Restrictions (Gluten Free, Lactose Intolerant, and Food Allergies).

So what else should I include?

I have been trying to figure out a way to show the Scouts about Woof'ems. The logistics of making the roasting stick seems easy enough, but just never did it. I found this website; http://www.madetobeamomma.com/woofem-campfire-treat/, which has a way to make a desert kind of thing, but could also be changed to a meal type.

That could be something you could teach at RT for those that don't know what a Woof'em is and how to make the sticks.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the awesome idea!  We made these a few years ago on a camping trip with friends, but I think we tried to use a hot dog fork without much success.  I had no idea what these were called, and had never seen a dowel used, so this is very cool.  Now I have another campfire cooking gadget that I must add to my collection.

I am also a Cub Scout Roundtable commissioner. I am looking forward to having an actual Roundtable discussion on the topic of cooking with Cubs. I have taught a session on the topic at our annual adult training event. The best part of the class was when everyone shared things they have tried, what worked and what didn't. I also plan on discussing how cooking can be used to teach more than just cooking requirements. Webelos/AOL scientist adventure-one requirement is to do an experiment with two different household chemicals. That could easily be done with cooking.

Pie Irons.   "Mountain Pies".  Like these:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pie-Iron-Set/26128070     Mine are probably 75 years old already.   Butter/grease each inside, Slice of bread on each side, "stuff" inside, close'm up, over the coals for maybe 10 minutes,  crispy yum. 

I know them well.  Here in Wisconsin we call these "Pudgie Pies."  Some smart folks even put out a fancy cookbook.  I started with two Square irons, bought two more when we were going to use them last year for our Cub Scout fall camp.  After reading Rome's Pie Iron Recipes book, I discovered that the possibilities open up with different types of irons.  I think my next purchase was two round irons, then two double square irons.  Then a waffle iron.  My dad found two old American made square aluminum irons that I added to the collection, and I found two new American made square aluminum irons while on a camping trip recently.  I also picked up a beat up rusty square iron that I plan to bring back to service soon with a strip and reseasoning.

These work great with Cub Scouts because each kid can make exactly what he likes.  If he is a picky eater, maybe grilled chese or pie iron pizzas.  If he has sophisticated tastebuds, maybe a Reuben or Club sandwich.  If he is adventurous, then we can break out the Pudgie Revolution recipes.

My one tip for using these with Cub Scouts is go with one type.  We had a roaring fire at our fall camp, and a mix of aluminum and cast iron.  The aluminum are light enough that the kids can hold them, but not if the fire is too hot for them to get close.  You have to be careful with putting them in the coals, if the coals are too hot you can melt some of the cheap aluminum irons.  The Cast iron can go right into the coals, and retain the heat better if you remove them to check on the doneness.  They are heavy though, so kids can't generally hold them over the fire.  With a mix of irons, it is a challenge to figure out which must be held and which can go into the coals.  I've found the best method is to create a bed of coals, put a grill grate about 6-8 inches over the coals, and set the irons on the grate.  That way you get a more even cook on the sandwich, with less burning.  I flip them every three minutes, and check the sandwich after about 12 minutes.  Usually it's done with a nice golden color, but if it isn't it goes back on for another 3 minute cycle or two.

cooking can be used to teach more than just cooking requirements. Webelos/AOL scientist adventure-one requirement is to do an experiment with two different household chemicals. That could easily be done with cooking.

Thanks for another great idea.  There is definitely a lot of science involved with baking, if you get the measurements or temperatures off by too much, the end result will not be what you expect.  There is also a lot of science involved with cooking.  I used to enjoy Alton Brown's show Good Eats, which I'm sure would have many interesting topics for food experiments.

I've never tried the pie irons, but it is another piece of equipment to keep after..... and I like to keep things simple... 

which might make one think that I'm a fan of foil packets

nope

Those things seem like such a great novelty, but in my experience they generate more of a fire drill.... or like herding cats.

I'll admit to only having done them with inferior ingredients, but as a general rule I'll pass.

In our pack, we had a dad that prided himself as a pitmaster.  He'd usually bring along one of those tow behind smoker/grilles and do up a bunch of meat.  We'd normally do bulk purchased precooked pancakes, sausage and bacon, etc for breakfast.  Simple cold cuts for lunch, the bbq for dinner.  Usually cereal for the pack-up morning.

It was a decent enough routine IF everyone likes BBQ.

I'm a fan of teaching scouts how to cook individually or for small groups myself.... more like you might do backpacking or on a back country canoe trip

..... but I would like to try pie irons some day.

I used to hate foil packet meals when I was a Scout.  The recipe always seemed to be hamburger with chunks of potato, carrots, and onions, with a little bit of butter.  I can't tell you how many times I had uncooked potatoes and carrots in mine, and a complete lack of seasoning.

As an adult, I love to cook, and despite my failure with foil packet meals as a youth, I was determined to make them work.  The number one change was seasoning.  You need a lot more than you'd think.  Dry soup mixes work well because they are designed to get dilluted, and foil packet meals trap all of the liquids.  Salt and pepper can work by themselves, but you need to use them between each layer (potatoes, salt, pepper, beef, salt, pepper, onions, salt pepper...).  I use far more salt and pepper for foil meals than I do for any other cooking I do, because it really needs it.

I've also learned that frozen diced potatoes work much better than trying to slice a whole bunch of whole potatoes thinly enough for them to cook in a reasonable amount of time.  Sometimes we'll still go with the potatoe slices, but they have to be super thin.  A mandolin will work for this, but isn't really safe for a Cub Scout to use.  Likewise, carrots aren't great because they take a long time to cook.  If you slice them thin, they can work.  I find Zuchini to be a better choice, since it's softer and cooks faster.

Once you've masterd the basic foil meal, then you can start exploring other protiens and ingredients.  I've had delicious foil packet chicken and fish, but these may not be best for impatient Cub Scouts.

RoundTable, eh?    I'm the Bscout RTCommish.   Filling the year RTs is a challenge, but some months are "defined" already.  November has to have Rechartering included. December is "Holiday Party" and award time, picture show.  May is "Program Launch , Midway exhibits.  June is the last "Offishul" RT, so along with the regular announcement stuff,  I invite a Troop to do some Camp Cooking Demo.  Our usual meeting site has a nice "back yard", so if the Host Scout Troop doesn't want to do it, another Troop can easily step in. We have had one Troop offer to do the year end, and it was GOOD!  "Walk around Tacos", look it up online.  We always invite the Cub RT to attend our cook out and the Cub folks enjoy it.  Give'em ideas, I hope.

If you have to "Change Venue" to accommodate the RT Cook out,  just make sure you have a good email list for notification, (another issue entirely).

I used to hate foil packet meals when I was a Scout.  The recipe always seemed to be hamburger with chunks of potato, carrots, and onions, with a little bit of butter.  I can't tell you how many times I had uncooked potatoes and carrots in mine, and a complete lack of seasoning.

As an adult, I love to cook, and despite my failure with foil packet meals as a youth, I was determined to make them work.  The number one change was seasoning.  You need a lot more than you'd think.  Dry soup mixes work well because they are designed to get dilluted, and foil packet meals trap all of the liquids.  Salt and pepper can work by themselves, but you need to use them between each layer (potatoes, salt, pepper, beef, salt, pepper, onions, salt pepper...).  I use far more salt and pepper for foil meals than I do for any other cooking I do, because it really needs it.

I've also learned that frozen diced potatoes work much better than trying to slice a whole bunch of whole potatoes thinly enough for them to cook in a reasonable amount of time.  Sometimes we'll still go with the potatoe slices, but they have to be super thin.  A mandolin will work for this, but isn't really safe for a Cub Scout to use.  Likewise, carrots aren't great because they take a long time to cook.  If you slice them thin, they can work.  I find Zuchini to be a better choice, since it's softer and cooks faster.

Once you've masterd the basic foil meal, then you can start exploring other protiens and ingredients.  I've had delicious foil packet chicken and fish, but these may not be best for impatient Cub Scouts.

We use tater tots for the potatoes in foil packets.  We've used smoked sausage (the tiny cocktail sausages), as well as thin steak (my personal favorite) as well.  I always use a slice of onion, even for kids who don't like onions (unless allergic). It adds a lot of flaover.  Also like diced green pepper in the foil package.

At a Webelos den meeting, I showed the den a completed box oven.  I split the den and gave one half a box, foil, a stapler, some coat hangers and a pair of pliers.  Told them to make a box oven. The other half I gave them a bowl, some milk, a measuring cup, muffin pan and a Martha White muffin mix.  You add 1/2 cup milk, stir, put in muffin pan and bake for 12-15 minutes.   While they were making the oven and muffins, I got the coals going.  

Had the scouts put the pan of muffins in the pre-made box oven, set a timer and close the box.  Showed them the thermometer stuck in the box at 425. Waited 15 minutes and 6 muffins done.  Amazing!  Scouts learned how to read directions, mix ingredients, and make a simple baked item.

Then had the box makers add coals to their box and placed store bought refrigerated cookie dough on pan and cook.  Again 12-15 minutes and warm cookies.

The only thing I did as an adult was to start the coals, move the coals, and provide the materials.   Next Pack campout, the den did a presentation and taught the rest of the Pack how to make box ovens.  While one half was demonstrating the box oven creation, the other half were baking cookies. At end of presentation, they distributed cookies to the rest of the Pack.  Parents and scouts were equally amazed you could cook in a cardboard box. 

Muffin mix is about $1. Cookie dough $2-$3. Couple of copier paper boxes from the office, roll of foil and a stapler, and coat hangers (to make the shelf).  $5 for food and foil.  Cheap den meeting with a big impact. 

Didn't see where anyone suggested Boil-in-Bag Eggs.   Write name on outside of quart ziplock with magic marker.  Crack 2 eggs into ziplock bag.     Zip up bag.  Scout squishes the bag until the eggs are thoroughly mixed.  Open bag and add grated cheese, diced tomatoes, diced onions, bacon crumbles, diced ham, diced peppers, sausage crumbles, diced mushrooms, etc.  Usually have several bowls of supplies with spoons on table.  Scouts add their own toppings to their bag.  Add salt and pepper to taste.   Tricky part: Burp bag of as much air as possible and zip.   Throw in pot of boiling water.  Wait a few minutes.  Retrieve with tongs and place bag into a bowl or cup.  Food and bag will be hot.   Scout eats from bag with a spoon.  Throw away bag.  Use the boiling water to clean the toppings bowls and spoons.   

Cheese will make the eggs runny and they will never quite firm up completely.   That's OK.  Just monitor the eggs to make sure they are cooked.  

Toad in the Hole:  Set large pancake griddle on two burner stove or preheat a fry pan.  

Butter one side of bread.  Use cap from the Pam Spray as cookie cutter and cut hole from center of bread slice.  Place bread butter side down on griddle/pan.  Crack egg into the hole in the center of the bread.  Dab butter on side of bread that is up.  Cook on medium heat until egg is firm and bread is toasted.  Flip and cook other side.  At same time, cook bread holes as toast.  

Didn't see where anyone suggested Boil-in-Bag Eggs.   Write name on outside of quart ziplock with magic marker.  Crack 2 eggs into ziplock bag.     Zip up bag.  Scout squishes the bag until the eggs are thoroughly mixed.  Open bag and add grated cheese, diced tomatoes, diced onions, bacon crumbles, diced ham, diced peppers, sausage crumbles, diced mushrooms, etc.  Usually have several bowls of supplies with spoons on table.  Scouts add their own toppings to their bag.  Add salt and pepper to taste.   Tricky part: Burp bag of as much air as possible and zip.   Throw in pot of boiling water.  Wait a few minutes.  Retrieve with tongs and place bag into a bowl or cup.  Food and bag will be hot.   Scout eats from bag with a spoon.  Throw away bag.  Use the boiling water to clean the toppings bowls and spoons.   

Cheese will make the eggs runny and they will never quite firm up completely.   That's OK.  Just monitor the eggs to make sure they are cooked.  

We have one ASM who won't let the boys do these--he claims that ziplock corp doesn't approve, and he doesn't either. Personally, I like them (as does my oldest son, it was his go-to meal to plan for the second day of a campout).  Don't add cheese until the egg is done, because it's hard to figure out if the egg is done or not.  What are topping bowls?  The boys just get the toppings out of their bags.