Best "Near High Adventure" places?

Our troop is looking to do a yearly "high adventure" outing each summer. Now what I mean is a trip not like the big ones like say Philmont or Seabase, but smaller ones where the costs are about what one would pay for summer camp. We think this would be a good way to keep the older scouts involved and maybe attract new scouts who have done most of the merit badges common at summer camps and are ready to try some advanced activities and yet not spend the big money required for places like Northern Tier.

A good example is like the one through Rocky Mountain High Adventure base.

Any suggestions?

How about 7-10 days backpacking the Pacific Crest or Appalachian trails?

Son just spent a week kayaking around the Florida Keys.  His cost was about $500 for food, lodging, travel and kayak rental.  Stayed in Hostel, one night in friends home, and the rest camping.  

Back in the 70"s, my explorer post spent a week hiking every trail at the Chickamauga GA. Civil War Battlefield.   Earned a patch and medal.  

As a lad, my explorer post did a number of weekend or long weekend Mini High Adventure treks.  

- Camp for the weekend.  One day went white water rafting and the next went glider plane soaring.  

- Overnight spent in cave after spending half a day spelunking

- Long weekend snow skiing

• Upvote 1

Depends on where you are and what your Scouts want to do....We are in the midwest and prefer a backcountry high adventure.  We can do a week long backpacking or Boundary Waters trip for about $250-$300 per person.  We self-outfit so this includes everything except souvenirs: fuel and meals on the road, campground the night before and/or after the trek, permits, food on the trail and a sit-down meal when we come off the trail.

I was canoeing the Saco river in Maine/NH once and ran into a troop from Mass. that did a week in the White Mtns. every other summer in lieu of summer camp.  They spent two days up and down in the Presidential range, two days on the Saco, and a couple other days in the area but I forget the full itinerary.  I was very jealous, but I live in the midwest so that particular trip would be very different logistically for us.  

Thinking how to do something lie that I think you need to find an area with a variety of outdoor possibilities: have to spend a couple of days on the water, a couple days hiking, a couple days maybe splashing around a lake.

If you narrow down your area we may be able to get more specifics.

Yah, if yeh want affordable high adventure yeh need to stay away from the outfitter supported stuff, eh?   Just run your own!   The lads learn a lot more and grow a lot more if they're doin' the planning themselves rather than buying a pre-packaged trip from an outfitter or high adventure base.

What part of the country are yeh in?

Beavah

• Upvote 2

SpEdScouter's profile says he is in the "Midwest". I was going to suggest backpacking on the Appalachian Trail but that is a lot of driving for the non-participating parents. Unless you reverse course halfway through and end up where you started, the drivers need to go from Home to Start, Start to Home, then at the end of the trip, Home to End, End to Home. I remember those trips as a Scout and though parts of the AT were less than a half hour away, that's still a lot of driving for a weekend trip. If you are talking about a week-long trip it's even more driving, because Start and End may be a state or two away from each other.

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 2

What I am thinking of is a scout camp that offers a high adventure package trip similar to the one mentioned above at Rocky Mountain High adventure base. Maybe after the boys go on a few they might feel comfortable planning a trip on their own.

NJScouter - Yeah the Appalachian trial sounds great but the distance is an issue.

Ah - a lot of units around here go to Many Point Scout Camp in northern Minnesota.  I have heard they have a good "older Scout" program that is pretty high adventure.

But to be honest, planning your own HA is not that tough even with not much experience - it just depends on what you want to do.  I have helped a couple of Troops in my area learn how to do it so Im sure you could find someone near you willing to help.  

Planning an HA trip on your own (how I did the first one).

I looked at my calendar, and found an open 7-10 days (including weekends). I then filed for a wilderness permit for Yosemite - high country area. Once I got the permit (good for 12 I think) - I told the boys it was open to join. They could use Troop tents, the troop stoves, and they had to build out their own 3 man cooking teams. I had an 18 year old as my #2, leaving 6 more seats in my truck. We strapped the bags to the roof and took off.

Cost was gas and the permit, and they bought their own food.

If you have TWO groups - double in size, park at two different ends of the trail, and swap car keys in the middle at an agreed upon camp site on the trail.

So - you "just" need to find a good trail!

• Upvote 3

NJScouter - Yeah the Appalachian trial sounds great but the distance is an issue.

It does make it easier when a mountain range runs through part of your state, though admittedly the highest point in the state (and in the Appalachians in NJ), which is creatively called "High Point", is only 1,803 feet above sea level. Not a very big mountain, it's really a series of ridges in NJ. And it's not the only "mountain range" in New Jersey, we also have the Watchung Mountains, but I think the highest point there is 800+ feet. A lot of hiking goes on in those mountains too, even though they aren't very big.

What I am thinking of is a scout camp that offers a high adventure package trip similar to the one mentioned above at Rocky Mountain High adventure base. Maybe after the boys go on a few they might feel comfortable planning a trip on their own.

Why wait?  They are plannin' weekend trips on their own, right?  Seein' as how they're Boy Scouts.  ;)   This is just like a weekend trip, only bigger!

What part of da Midwest are yeh in, mate, and how far are yeh willin' to travel?  Are yeh really lookin' for full outfitter support (prepackaged guided tour/trip) or are yeh willin' to mix it up at least a bit?  Does it have to be a BSA camp program?

Yeh can bike across Iowa with RAGBRAI.   Yeh can go Sea Kayakin' the Apostle Islands or backpackin' out on Isle Royale.  Yeh can look for Great Lakes sailing opportunities or a long cruise with da Sea Scouts.   Yeh can canoe or canoe-bike da upper Mississippi.  Yeh can go hiking and climbing in southern Illinois .  Yeh can volunteer and camp on da field of the Oshkosh AirVenture

We're Scouts, eh?  Da world is our playground!  Happy to try to point yeh to more resources if yeh give us a bit more to go on.

Beavah

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Our council had a high adventure section on their website at one time. Scouters would post descriptions of trips they had taken with offers to help other troops with planning. If you have friends in other troops or if you attend round tables, talk with scouters and see what options are available in your area. You can also look into outdoor clubs outside of scouting for tips.

Any river, most people spend a lot of time working up blisters and hauling heavy loads on their backs when doing the river route thing, camping on sandbars and navigating the natural backwaters is far more relaxing and can still be a great adventure.

• Upvote 1