Have any of you on this forum either set up or looked into an Amazon Smile account?

I had forgotten about this option form amazon, having signed on several years ago to donate to Wounded Warrior project.  Just today I stumbled across reference to it, and I realize that all this time I have not been making my amazon purchases through the correct link.  I've been running all my prime purchases through the general amazon link, which apparently doesn't generate a donation.  Bummer.

Anyway, as the treasurer, it of course dawned on me that perhaps I could look into setting up a donation for the troop.  I feel it would be much better to have come from and through a scout.... but sadly I thought of it first.  I still might try to think of a way to drop the hint to a scout secretly, maybe to my son, so they think of it.... but that's beside the point of my question....

I'm wondering about how much money troop have made with it, and I guess I'm a bit concerned about creating too much "visibility" to the IRS. I think we are among the first of a "new breed" of troops that have our own EID that falls under our CO's church EID, so things are a bit different than most troops.

Any experience or thoughts out there?

My Council is my Smile recipient, and as I get of lot of things for both home and work through that account - it's probably worth more than my FOS donation - too bad that doesn't seem to count to the DEs and what not. ;)

Edited by gumbymaster
  • Upvote 1

Same as gumbymaster - my council is my Smile recipient.  Dont know how much they receive overall.  

As you mention, you should be very aware of how any contributions might be viewed by the IRS since doing the wrong thing can jeopardize non-profit / tax exempt status. 

1/2 of 1% is the yield.  So for $10,000 in Amazon Smile sales your troop would receive $ 50.  

Here's an interesting article:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brady-josephson/why-amazon-is-smiling-and_b_4360405.html

I'm sure there are other reward programs (Kroger in our community) that would have a higher payback for your time and energy in promoting their business and getting your families to enroll.

OTOH  buy local and get 'good will' in your community.  It probably is worth more....Definately more than $ 50.

We use Benefit mobile to allow families to raise money. You get cash back on gift cards that you buy through an app -- usually around 3-5% (for a bigger variety of stores Benefit also sells physical gift cards). Families can use the proceeds however they wish. We made about $75 around tax time buying a month's worth of gift cards for Meijer, movies, and eating out. Some families make up to $500/yr who are disciplined and use it regularly. You can even buy Amazon gift cards! Check it out.... it's a pretty good return and easy to use.

https://www.benefit-mobile.com/

Yah, I think if yeh want to use Amazon as a fundraiser, you're better off usin' the Amazon Associates links as an advertising addition on your unit web site.  Payoff is better.   Just train your folks to click through your website when they go to buy from Amazon.

Have any of you on this forum either set up or looked into an Amazon Smile account?

I had forgotten about this option form amazon, having signed on several years ago to donate to Wounded Warrior project.  Just today I stumbled across reference to it, and I realize that all this time I have not been making my amazon purchases through the correct link.  I've been running all my prime purchases through the general amazon link, which apparently doesn't generate a donation.  Bummer.

Anyway, as the treasurer, it of course dawned on me that perhaps I could look into setting up a donation for the troop.  I feel it would be much better to have come from and through a scout.... but sadly I thought of it first.  I still might try to think of a way to drop the hint to a scout secretly, maybe to my son, so they think of it.... but that's beside the point of my question....

I'm wondering about how much money troop have made with it, and I guess I'm a bit concerned about creating too much "visibility" to the IRS. I think we are among the first of a "new breed" of troops that have our own EID that falls under our CO's church EID, so things are a bit different than most troops.

Any experience or thoughts out there?

Locally, the council  participates in Amazon Smile, so my guess is that they wouldn't allow Troops to participate.

As you mention, you should be very aware of how any contributions might be viewed by the IRS since doing the wrong thing can jeopardize non-profit / tax exempt status. 

At least as far as Amazon Smile, this should not apply to you.  You never receive the donation to make, nor do you even get a statement.  Amazon is making (and taking credit for) the charitable donation made based on the value of your purchases, to the qualified recipient of your choice - but it is their donation, not yours.

At least as far as Amazon Smile, this should not apply to you.  You never receive the donation to make, nor do you even get a statement.  Amazon is making (and taking credit for) the charitable donation made based on the value of your purchases, to the qualified recipient of your choice - but it is their donation, not yours.

yes, their in giving..... not mine as an amazon consumer

BUT

it's ours as a troop that we are receiving.

I'm wondering now about any thresholds of receiving that might raise a flag to the IRS....and I think this is to jjlash's point.

to grossly exaggerate....let's say the troop brings in a million $ donations this year.  I'm thinking that might trigger a closer look by someone.... just a guess.