Build a Better World Requried Adventure

Go to solution Solved by judybsa,

So my son is working on this Arrow of Light award and one of the requirements for an adventure states, "Show that you are an active leader by planning an activity without your den leader's help." My question is, how is this something that can be done. The den leader must plan each meeting and if the Scouts are planning something how can they accomplish this?

@@judybsa, so the Den leader is supposed to plan to have the Scouts do an activity but not help them with planning it? If that is what should happen, then that works. I will just make sure my Den Leader understands that (I am the CM). Thank you for the help.

It doesn't have to be anything super complicated, and if the den leader isn't offering the boys opportunities, the boys are certainly free to approach the den leader and say "Mr. (or Mrs.) Den Leader, in order to complete Requirement 9 of Build a Better World, I need to lead an activity.  I've thought of a great game/project/etc. that I would like to lead.  Can you make time in one of our Den Meetings to do this activity?"

The main point is the boy should be leading the activity, which ideally would involve soliciting help from his den.  Maybe ask Tommy to bring some drinking straws, and ask Timmy to bring rubber bands, etc.  Again, doesn't have to be a huge deal, but ideally would involve the Webelos scout doing the work to bring the activity together (and since we are talking about 'leading,' he shouldn't be doing everything himself but ideally leading others in bringing everything together to accomplish the activity).

I guess the question is, what is an "activity"? An "activity" can mean an entire outing, or it could mean a game or contest at a meeting. It seems clear from the context that they mean the latter. So the "activity" could be 15 minutes long. I also notice it says "planning" the activity, it does not say "leading" the activity. Maybe the "leading" part is implied? A Webelos should be able to lead a simple game or contest for his fellow Webelos.

With my Den, I simply had them read the requirements from the book, then asked "what are some easy service projects you have been a part of that we could do together?" One of them had been part of a clothing drive recently, so I just asked leading questions to help them put it together. "When could we do this?" "How will we let families know?" "Where will we take the clothes?" After a few questions THEY were the ones figuring out the logistics and I could just sit back and catch up on signing their books. They had it all organized really quickly, and at the Pack Meeting where they ran the drive, we didn't get many donations, but the boys were proud that they had put together the whole activity themselves, and were thrilled by how grateful the people at Salvation Army were when we brought in the clothing. All I had to do was ask a few logistical questions to get it going, and the boys took care of the rest.

@@judybsa, so the Den leader is supposed to plan to have the Scouts do an activity but not help them with planning it?

that's right!  They plan it in its Entirety, get them ready for planning meeting when they move up to Boy Scouts and keeps those pesky leaders from screwing it up. lol  

In CS, the Adults plan, lead, provide ideas and  opportunities, food, cooking, supplies, shelter, transportation,  payment of bills, guidance, health and safety.  

In Boy Scouts,  the adults are SUPPOSED to step back and let the boys do just about all of the above, save the health and safety. Step in and say "stay away from that cliff, unless you take the Climb On training!"   Mistakes are learned from, not necessarily prevented. Oh, and bills paid... 

Venture Scouts,  adults "advise " and  make sure about safety.   18 year old should have a job. 

Webelos  (keep the S)  Scouts are by modern  definition a transition.   Back in my Scout days, I went from Lion Cub to Webelos to Boy Scout (blue shirt to khaki) without much transition.   Nowadays, it is meant to be an eeeeeasing into Boy Scouting.   I guess the pros are afraid of scaring the poor lil' Webs.   So the requirement is to  "Show that you are an active leader by planning an activity without your den leader's help.""  All the WDL need do  is make sure nobody gets burned/tripped up/drowns/poisoned.  Anything else the Web Cub can plan is, to my mind, Okay.   

One of my favorite memories is of a newly promoted Senior Patrol Leader being encouraged to "take command" of the Troop at a planning session. He was obviously waiting for the SM to say "we will do THIS" .  The SPL finally had his "AHA!"  moment and sputtered," you mean I can decide that?", to which the SM replied "Duh....."