Adult Costs - What Does Your Unit Do?

Camping and Summer Camp, uniformed adults are paid for, other adults pay their own way. With Summer Camp it's usually two leaders, sometimes split up between people because of vacation time limits.

Registration is also paid for for uniformed adults.

Our pack had a 'policy' that we didn't pay to volunteer.  The pack paid the registration, and offered to pay for any required fingerprinting (CO requirement) and any other direct cost or supplies.  

for activities and camps, the scouters and parents alike just paid our own fair share.

Most folks paid their own stuff though, such as finger printing and a lot of misc supplies.

The troop charges registered scouters $25 to cover registration (yeah, i know it's only $24.... I didn't set the number)

and if scouters go camping, they work out their equal share of the adult food on their own.

I think the troop pays towards some of the training too, although I haven't run into that issue yet.

No adult troop dues

Both our pack and troop pays for the registered adult leaders' registration. The pack charges a fee to offset the cost of food for campouts and adults pay for any entry fees. The pack pays for the scouts good and any entry fees. It is paid for out of our fundraising. The troop adults and scouts pay for outings (food and entry fees).

In out Troop, we cover all registration fees. The summer camp we go to has a sliding scale of covered adults, based on the number of Scouts. We try to have 4 in camp at all times, so that if we have to make a trip to the urgent care place (which has happened), we still have 2 adults. Any extra adults over what the camp covers are paid by the Troop. The only thing we need to pay for in that case is meals, which is $100 per person for the week. All other trips are pay as you go. We do cover parking fees incurred for people driving Scouts on our trips, and also cover gas for the person towing the trailer.

In my unit, in the UK, adults pay nothing, generally, unless the cost of the adults attending would add prohibitively to the cost for the kids. I think we (the unit, not speaking for all UK scouts) work on the principle that leaders give up their time, it's wrong to expect them to put their hands in their pockets. When we had an expensive trip to Portugal, leaders paid, when we have our normal camps, their costs, food, camp fees, are either divided and added to the cost of the camp for the kids, or the unit funds subsidise the camp. If the unit wanted to buy a tent, if a leader bought it on their credit card, I'd expect them to put in an expense claim and get the money back, this can roll down to silly things like pens, if you needed them for a particular thing. We take the leader's time, we take them away from their family, they also need to dip into their own pockets to kit themselves out, I mean, I probably wouldn't have a $60 headtorch, $150 boots, $100 rucksack, several tents, if I wasn't in scouting, some leaders choose what car to drive, and take scouting into account. Some leaders, including me to an extent, aren't so bothered about the money, don't do a good job of keep receipts for things, don't bother claiming for fuel when driving kids about etc.

I know there are other units and troops in the UK that will charge their adults for camps too.

I'd say Ian's group is probably the most common you will find in terms of policy in the UK. Certainly identical to mine. From experience the groups where adults pay their own way or rare. We recently had a leader join us from another group and she was quite surprised to find that she didn't have to pay to come to summer camp. I was even more surprised to find that she expected to!