Chaplain's aid prayer policy

Christians are separated more by tradition, arrogance, and bigotry than theology. That is what I was taught by a Catholic professor at seminary.

Your mileage may vary.

My philosophy professor, who was a Catholic priest, would have said the exact opposite.  

My general impression is that most college professors are much more liberal in their thinking than the average person.  

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I actually agree with Stosh.    As a Lutheran and a Scout, I've struggled with religion and Scouting for several years.  I was baptized in what would no

And on that reasonable note, and with neither DavidCO nor Stosh really having had the last word (at least that is how I choose to look at it), I am locking this thread. It has really become counterpro

The Catholic Church allows Orthodox to receive communion which indicates that THEY think it is about the same. Stosh I think you are just enjoying a good catholic bash. Get over it.

This was 40 years ago and it was not some "liberal professor", it was a Catholic theologian at a Catholic seminary who was preparing young men for the priesthood. Some probably weren't paying attention that day.

After making a ridiculous statement like that, I might not pay any attention to him either.

There are huge theological differences between Catholics and Protestants.  They are two totally different religions.  

• Downvote 1

Interesting topic.

"We forgive and we ask forgiveness. We are asking pardon for the divisions among Christians, for the use of violence that some have committed in the service of truth, and for attitudes of mistrust and hostility assumed towards followers of other religions."

"“As bishop of Rome and pastor of the Catholic Church, I want to beg for mercy and forgiveness for un-Gospel-like behaviour [british spelling] on the part of Catholics against Christians of other churches . . ."

"'We ask most of all for forgiveness for the sin of our divisions, which are an open wound on the body of Christ,' Pope Francis said."

“When all Christians of different churches listen to the word of God and try to put it into practice,†the Pope said, “they truly take important steps toward unity.â€

So the Roman Catholic Church regards Catholics and Protestants, despite differences in theology, to be part of a group the Church labels as "Christians" and "the body of Christ."

• Upvote 1

"Let he who is without sin wash the first foot" :

https://www.ncronline.org/news/faith-parish/when-pope-francis-washes-womens-feet-arguments-follow-whos-right

So is not one who would emulate Jesus' life not a Christian?   Why not call us Jesusites?   Amish,  Mennonite,  Wesleyan,  Brethren. Hutterites (watch the old movie "The 49th Parallel"),  Albigensians,

I remember first learning that Christ was not Jesus' last name.  Yeah, I was really young..........  "John Jones"....

There are so many subsets of bigger sets.   I just learned of a FOURTH  Muslim subdivision.   Sunni, Shia,  Druze and Ahmadiyya.    The divisions seem (to me, at least)  to depend on (1)  which parts of the Koran are the most important and which to avoid/ignore and (2)  who was/is Mohammed's inheritor.  They all pray to Allah.

And, so they tell me, these are the BIG groupings.   When I try to explain the divisions among (Christian) faith, wow....

And we expect a 14 (15?) year old Scout to understand and be sensitive to theological divisions? 

There are huge theological differences between Catholics and Protestants.  They are two totally different religions.  

In life, religion and politics, we can focus on what we have in common or what divides us.  I prefer the first option.

• Upvote 1

Even if the non-Christian families don't have a problem? I approached our Jewish family on the subject once and the father interrupted me to say they don't have a problem with the troop services. His tone emphasized that they would rather us not change any part of the program for their family. Their sons (4 of them) are mature enough to participate without feeling as outsiders.

I don't know why the tone, maybe they get more special treatment than they want.

Of course, I don't know the man in question and was not there to hear his "tone." I have, however, found myself in the position of being the only Jewish person (or one of very few) in a particular setting, so I can speak from my own experience. I may be completely wrong about this individual, but here goes: The "tone" may have been due to the man feeling that he was being put "on the spot" by your well-meaning question. He may have had in mind that requesting that others change what they are doing for the sake of one person can have consequences. He may have wanted to avoid "rocking the boat."

As for "special treatment", I am sure you know that that phrase has two equal and opposite meanings. Whether you mean good-special or bad-special would depend on YOUR tone, which I can't hear because this is the Internet. It does sort of remind me of the scene in "Fiddler on the Roof" when Tevye is informed that his Jewish community is about to be targeted by a government-sponsored campaign of violence. He looks skyward, asks God "Why", and says (with his typical dark humor) "I know we are your chosen people, but once in awhile, can't you choose somebody else?"

Edited by NJCubScouter

There are so many subsets of bigger sets.   I just learned of a FOURTH  Muslim subdivision.   Sunni, Shia,  Druze and Ahmadiyya.    The divisions seem (to me, at least)  to depend on (1)  which parts of the Koran are the most important and which to avoid/ignore and (2)  who was/is Mohammed's inheritor.  They all pray to Allah.

And, so they tell me, these are the BIG groupings.

Yes, and there are subdivisions within the subdivisions of Islam as well. Shia Islam has at least two subdivisions, the Twelvers and the Ismaili. Like some of the other subdivisions, they descend from the followers of different claimants to the heirship of Mohammed. Since learning about the Ismailis a few years ago, I have found them particularly interesting because their current Imam, the Aga Khan IV, is a near-billionaire businessman who owns hundreds of racehorses and has been divorced twice. Somewhat atypical for the leader of an entire branch of a religion.

Edited by NJCubScouter

Time to move this over to I&P it seems...

Maybe not. I have removed the jokey comment in my own post that apparently prompted this comment.

This thread has been skating on the edge of going into Issues and Politics almost from the beginning anyway. But since it started out being about Scouting, I did not want to push it over the edge. I would say that some of the comments in the past couple days probably should have sent it there, but whichever side of the "line" this thread has been on, it was still close.

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 1

.... This thread has been skating on the edge of going into Issues and Politics almost from the beginning anyway. ...

Swimming is more appropriate given the Summer Olympics ... ;)

If a discussion on the Chaplain's Aide POR needs to be discussed in the I&P section of the forum, that doesn't bode well for the duty to God and A Scout is Reverent parts of the Oath and Law.

It just might be better to keep it superficial and irrelevant so as to keep it PC for the boys.  After all, politics, religion and women are the three topics one needs to avoid to maintain civil discourse in polite society.

Edited by Stosh