Here are the region patches over time from the Northeast Region:

http://tegularius.org/patches/northeast.html

I have never seen anyone wearing one either.  I would think it would be worn as a temporary patch.  I suppose that if someone was a regional executive, commissioner, committee member or whatever, they might wish to wear the regional patch.  I think I have only ever seen one of those people in person and all I remember is that he was wearing gold shoulder loops and I think his position patch was Regional Executive Board or something like that.

"Regional Insignia

This insignia is reserved for regional officers, regional committee members, local professional Scouters, and national staff with a regional responsibility and is worn on the right sleeve in position 2. Adult regional world and national jamboree contingent staff and leaders may wear the insignia only during their assigment [sic] at the jamboree. The same rule applies to specifically designed regional insignia for a national event."

• Upvote 1

It's very rare to see one worn. The only time I have ever seen one worn was at the National Jamboree and the only person I have ever seen wear one was actually the Regional Director, or whatever you call the top professional in the region.  But some of them look pretty cool. I would imagine you could wear one on a patch vest or whatever without any difficulty.

I forget why exactly - if it was a camp School thing or my Summer Camp, but I was given/wore the Western Region patch for a number of years (then I moved East and became a normal scouter :D )

Other than that, I've only seen them worn by the people with the Gold/Yellow area shoulder loops.

Edited by gumbymaster

I have worn them when I was serving on staff at a National Jamboree.  You are supposed to remove them after the Jamboree is over, since your are no longer functioning in a Regional capacity.