I just did the mile swim a few days ago and I want to have something where we go to a pool and swim a mile.

My questions regarding doing it in a pool.

Who can Supervise it?

How long do they have to swim beforehand?

Is there any issues with doing it in a pool?

And I have some other questions regarding the patch

Could I wear more than 1 mile swim patch?

I have 3 swimsuits could I buy 3 patches and wear them on all 3?

Is there any specific location for it?

To clarify this is for the BSA Mile Swim

First, welcome to the forum and congratulations.This is one of my favorite activities (preferablly at 6 AM in the middle of a lake with at least 200 yard lengths).

No you don't have to swim 3 miles to get three patches! Take your card to the scout shop and order as many as you need. I would suggest, however, that you somehow mark the first patch you were awarded (e.g. sew a black thread in the back) so that you can save it in your collection once you've worn it a season or two.

The manager of your pool usually has specific requirements as to what he/she considers qualified supervision. Follow them. National camp school also has generic guidelines for acquatics staff in case your are concerned that your pool manager is too easy going, start by looking here http://www.ncsbsa.org/resources/ncs/. Basically, you want to set aside the lanes that you need, make sure there is a minimum of cross-traffic, and have some system of accountability.

As far as training the swimmers, use a step-up program over several days (e.g. 100, 440, 880 yards ... then a mile) so that everyone's comfortable before the day they do the mile. (Obviously, if they all just did swimming MB, you can start at 880. If it's been a year, and the boys aren't all swimming regularly, start everyone at 100.)

I did the mile swim this year at camp with a couple of our youth.  It shocked me to see the sad state of swimming abilities in the youth that were attempting it.  I give them credit for attempting it and completing it for the ones that finished it.  But it made me sad to see so many youth that need swimming lessons.  One boy was freaking out so I swam with him a while and tried helping him calm down.  He ended up doing elementary backstroke and I left him in the hands of one of the camp staff to watch him.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Mash, some of the kids I guarded while doing mile swim had me on edge the entire time. It was so bad that if I had the ability, I was guarding to meet BSA Lifeguard requirements and didn't have it, I would have taken two out because they were essentially doggie paddling the entire time. Several times I though I would have to go in.

Doing a little research, finding someone qualified to run the Mile Swim may be a challenge. I needs to be a BSA Aquatics Supervisor or equivalent. BSA Aquatics Supervisors have to go to National Camping School. As for "Equivalent" I am assuming, and you know what can happen when you assume ;) , that means a BSA Lifeguard Instructor, who is trained by an AS to teach BSA Lifeguard, the Aquatics Supervision Swimming and water rescue, etc.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Awards_Central/MileSwim.aspx

Edited by Eagle94-A1

Take the "or equivalent" to mean parallel Red Cross certification.

In fact, if a RC supervisor like the Women's Air Corps retiree who taught me how to swim (as in we 5th graders knew we mastered the stroke when she stopped cussing at us) runs the pool, don't even think you'll be allowed to walk in with your BSA-trained staff and borrow the facility. She wouldn't be prejudiced against BSA Guard, she just would make darn sure people who she knew could forestall death (i.e.,the ones she didn't have to cuss at during drills) were managing your event.

Of course people are different. And the ones who have never had to rescue a drowning victim will behave differently than the ones who have. I'd be more worried about a manager who doesn't give you a hard time. I would be REALLY worried if trainees like E94 felt like they couldn't demand to extract tired swimmers.

Of course people are different. And the ones who have never had to rescue a drowning victim will behave differently than the ones who have. I'd be more worried about a manager who doesn't give you a hard time. I would be REALLY worried if trainees like E94 felt like they couldn't demand to extract tired swimmers.

Agree, I would have issues if a manager didn't have a hard time allowing folks they do not know take over. Supplement my staff, yes and have had that happen back in the day. But as a pool manager, you are legally obligated to make sure folks meet all of the requirements for certification and maintain those skills. Only time I had no problem with someone coming is and working was when they came from a sister facility when we were short staffed, and I was one of the instructors who trained her.

FYI, I would have yanked them out but was told not to by the BSA Aquatics Supervisor when I was about to. His comment about one of the swimmers was "he has a weird swimming style that works." But for the life of me that particular Scout had me concerned. Kept my eyes on him the entire time he was in the deep end.  The other one that had me concerned ended up having his SM, who was one of the BSA Lifeguard Instructors swim alongside him for encouragement.

Believe me, I've always been safety oriented when it comes to water, and have become a bit paranoid since the accident back in August.