"Boy Scouts thrive after lifting of gay ban."

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While I do not have any studies or statistic to support my position, while I think that the changes in the membership policies have accelerated membership declines, we can't say that that is the reaso

I like the boys program because I think a boys-only program is different then a boys-girl program and I like that difference. But I have been at co-ed outdoor activities and have camped with a couple

I think we simply need to quit screaming about everything that we may not agree with that we have little control over and pay attention to our own units and local programs in general.  Afterall, most

I am sure all the Scouters in this forum hope that the numbers will bear out this rosy picture.

Right?

I hope so. But think most hope they are real gains or a slowing of the decline, not math tricks they have been pulling.

I think there are so many things that affect the numbers that other than a spike from the initial change it will always be hard to determine causation for whatever the trend is, and it will be a few years before we know what the trend actually is.

I think the gist of this story, that the transition is seen as having gone reasonably well is what's really important.  Hopefully people can now focus on whether scouting is or is not a positive experience for their kids, and run the program accordingly.

• Upvote 1

I think there are so many things that affect the numbers that other than a spike from the initial change it will always be hard to determine causation for whatever the trend is, and it will be a few years before we know what the trend actually is.

I think the gist of this story, that the transition is seen as having gone reasonably well is what's really important.  Hopefully people can now focus on whether scouting is or is not a positive experience for their kids, and run the program accordingly.

Exactly.

This is entirely recycled info, which we've already discussed elsewhere.

A halving of rate of decline implies stabilization of membership ...

like a year of slightly cooler temps than last implies cessation of global warming,

Zach Whals is right that we have a lot of work to do ... For example, we need to convince activists to whole-heartedly support the the rights of CO's to vett leaders along the lines of restrictive sexual ethics. Rhetoric like his and Dale's (whose very predicament was directly a result of the absence of such a notion) is the stated reason why I'm dealing with a cagey CO. Maybe the five cub scouts who could have been registered this spring don't amount to much. But if in every community across this country there are five potential recruits whose membership is being delayed (let's hope merely delayed) to every one's that is being smoothed over, we have problems.

I don't what that true ratio is. I just know that the BSA is still in decline. The permissive have yet to prove their worth numerically.

• Upvote 1

qwasze, aren't there other organizations that could be CO for the unit in question?

dozen's hopefully. But, all are parents' second choice. So, instead of five Cubs now who bring five or ten more in the fall, and maybe that many more by end of year, we have once enthusiastic parents whose favorite elders (I cannot possibly understate the trustworthiness of this particular lot) are giving them a "not yet."

This is not an excessively deliberative body. If there's an idea and a half dozen folks who want to go for it, green lights are everywhere.

The fact that this item was pushed back on the docket for several consecutive months speaks volumes to the liability threat from activist's statements.

The fact that this item was pushed back on the docket for several consecutive months speaks volumes to the liability threat from activist's statements.

I don't understand that attitude.  If you don't do something because someone "might sue", you would never do anything.  There's always someone who might sue.

I don't understand that attitude.  If you don't do something because someone "might sue", you would never do anything.  There's always someone who might sue.

Not necessarily.  Those with an intolerant political agenda will sue.  Those who are tolerant will just consider the source and just walk away.