Same camp every year, more than one, or switch?

If the adults are all fired up about a certain camp, they can take the boys that want to go to that camp and have a nice summer camp.  Those adults that are all fired up about another camp, they can take the boys that want to go to that camp and have a nice summer camp.

Otherwise the adults can stay out of it and let the boys go where they want to go.

I haven't been to council camp for at least 10 years now.  My ASM's husband is a big backer of the council camp.  He's there every day year around working and doing camp improvements (he's retired).  When it came time to pick a camp that would suit our new boys, she suggested a good out of council camp.  Ya go where the boys want and will get the best return on their investment.  The adult part of this scenario is driving and drinking coffee and being the 2-deep leadership the camp requires.  Nothing more.

And @@Eagle94-A1 it gets far less complicated when the adults stay out of it.  :)

Edited by Stosh

Don't I know it. I personally beleive alot of the problems the troop has had is because of adult over involvement.

And you know me, I may want them to go to a specific camp, i may promote and advertise a specific camp, but I let the Scouts decide and go where they want to go.

I always know what's best for my boys, but that's never the criteria for going against what they think is best for them.  I trust them and if need be, I help dust them off and send them on down the road when necessary.  That little bump in the road might have been the necessary failure needed for that boy to become a good leader.

On the other hand, if I insisted on my way and we hit the little bump in the road, it might be the necessary failure I needed to get out of the way and let the boys become the good leaders I want them to be.  :)

In the last two incarnations of our council (this is the 3rd council patch we've worn in 17 years), any mention of intention of either not attending summer camp or, Heaven forbid, going out of Council was, to say the least, TREASON! BLASPHEMY! HOW DARE YOU!

Yeah, how dare we.  We never cared.  Carry on! It's about what the boys want.

Edited by frankpalazzi

Our troop alternates each year between a camp that is expensive ($700 including travel) and one that is closer and cheaper but not as good ($400). If they had their choice, they'd go to the expensive camp every year, but it's tough on the pocketbook. The boys did not have a good experience at the cheaper camp this past time around, so I am encouraging them to consider another alternative.

Our troop alternates each year between a camp that is expensive ($700 including travel) and one that is closer and cheaper but not as good ($400). If they had their choice, they'd go to the expensive camp every year, but it's tough on the pocketbook. The boys did not have a good experience at the cheaper camp this past time around, so I am encouraging them to consider another alternative.

If the boys go out and fund raise for summer camp, they know the costs and if they want to get the best bang for their buck, let them plan out the fund raising, camp research, budget the costs, and work their tails off getting themselves to the camp of their choice.  If the boys do not go the camp of their choice it is never my fault.  :)  Oh, by the way, they have never NOT gone to the camp of their choice....