News flashhh...Meeting cancelled for Sunday

Well, not really cancelled I guess because on the calendar it says "no meeting". When that was put up I am not sure.

But I am sure son is making first call to a troop SM tonight. No sense waiting and prolonging the agony.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Control issues?  Stosh, this guy had 'em.  squared, cubed, and deep seated.  Never seen anything like it in all my years in scouting and may I never see it again.   But to address Zuzy's latest,  th

While having a UC affiliated with a unit, let alone having a Scout in a unit, is not optimal, there are times when districts have no choice. I had to take over as UC when the UC of the CO's units died

Yah, or alternately da SPL can call all the boys and still run a meeting this Sunday, eh?    No adults required, and it might be a lot more fun!   Beavah

Why would the SM be upset if the boys all got together for fun when the regular meeting is cancelled?  It's like saying the regular meeting is cancelled and so all the boys went outside and played baseball.  Only a SM with control issues want to dictate their will beyond the parameters of the program.

Why would the SM be upset if the boys all got together for fun when the regular meeting is cancelled?  It's like saying the regular meeting is cancelled and so all the boys went outside and played baseball.  Only a SM with control issues want to dictate their will beyond the parameters of the program.

Control issues?  Stosh, this guy had 'em.  squared, cubed, and deep seated.  Never seen anything like it in all my years in scouting and may I never see it again.

But to address Zuzy's latest,  the SM is trying to change the troops leadership positions without elections?  Is that verified?  If so it is grounds for a SM, CC. CoR meeting that should go like this...  

CC " Your job as SM is to deliver the scouting program to the boys as is clearly laid out in the SM handbook.  If you are unwilling  to do that, your sorry butt is fired  services to this troop will  no longer be required.    You have 30 seconds to decide."

As to the duty rosters I would be very tempted in your sons place to tear down the SM ones and tack mine up in their place.  If and when the SM pitches a hissy fit say " As SPL it is a part of my job sir! not yours, not the committee, not BP himself ! Mine!   and I am doing it"

Of course that is very easy for me to say, I already have my eagle. 

Oldscout

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Control issues?  Stosh, this guy had 'em.  squared, cubed, and deep seated.  Never seen anything like it in all my years in scouting and may I never see it again.

But to address Zuzy's latest,  the SM is trying to change the troops leadership positions without elections?  Is that verified?  If so it is grounds for a SM, CC. CoR meeting that should go like this...  

CC " Your job as SM is to deliver the scouting program to the boys as is clearly laid out in the SM handbook.  If you are unwilling  to do that, your sorry butt is fired  services to this troop will  no longer be required.    You have 30 seconds to decide."

As to the duty rosters I would be very tempted in your sons place to tear down the SM ones and tack mine up in their place.  If and when the SM pitches a hissy fit say " As SPL it is a part of my job sir! not yours, not the committee, not BP himself ! Mine!   and I am doing it"

Of course that is very easy for me to say, I already have my eagle. 

Oldscout

I'm with you.  When the SM forgets what servant leadership is (i.e. helping the boys run a program as designed) and puts his own ego and interests above the interests of the program and the CO (which presumable signed on to have a successful program that builds boys up with integrity rather than tears them down with control issues) the SM must go.  As adults,  we have to always remind ourselves that it is about providng the program for the boys and not about our own egos.

It sounds to me like someone has tipped off the SM that  SPL is shopping for a new unit.  Perhaps it was one of the SM's that UC just contacted.

I think this is an appropriate action.  I wouldn't allow a SPL to remain in the units top youth position of responsibility while he is in the process of changing units.

I would appoint the ASPL to take over until the new elections.

It is good for Zuzy's son to move on down the road to a new unit.  The damage done by this SM is going to hang around for years to come.

How much dollars to donuts do you think the bet needs to be to make sure the SM's son is the new SPL?  A couple of crumbs and a penny?  Probably.....

Edited by Stosh

It sounds to me like someone has tipped off the SM that  SPL is shopping for a new unit.  Perhaps it was one of the SM's that UC just contacted.

I think this is an appropriate action.  I wouldn't allow a SPL to remain in the units top youth position of responsibility while he is in the process of changing units.

If that is the case, it seems like the SM is using that for justification for disposing of a scout who wanted to lead and is doubling down on adult-led.  Sad.

It is good for Zuzy's son to move on down the road to a new unit.  The damage done by this SM is going to hang around for years to come.

How much dollars to donuts do you think the bet needs to be to make sure the SM's son is the new SPL?  A couple of crumbs and a penny?  Probably.....

And that there won't be elections because we all saw what happened the last times the boys were allowed to choose a leader -- they chose one that the SM couldn't control.

David CO you are way off base. SPL JUST made the decision to leave this week. SM does not have "wind" Of anything.

This guy had been pegged correctly by most of these posters, he is not a good SM and has never even read a scout masters book, doesn't even have one.

The ASPL serves in the absence of the SPL.  That's why a troop has an SPL.  Contingencies.

Otherwise, as you know, you would have no authority to appoint an SPL.  

The "troop" could decide to have another election, whatever that means.

Where did you get the impression that the UC (dad) contacted anyone?

David CO you are way off base. SPL JUST made the decision to leave this week. SM does not have "wind" Of anything.

This guy had been pegged correctly by most of these posters, he is not a good SM and has never even read a scout masters book, doesn't even have one.

No book?!  I swear this sounds like the same guy. Only his son would be 20 something now.  

I feel for you and yours

I guess you could buy two copies of the SM handbook. Give one covertly to the new SPL so he knows what a SM should and should not do.

Hand the other one to the SM at a meeting how about.... " Since it is very clear that you don't know your job, perhaps you can take some time and read your handbook. You always want the scouts to read theirs right?