Lent out my canoes last week to a young family, Mom, Dad and 2 boys, 6 and 8.  They said that night was quite exciting to say the least.  Dad said that a small tornado passed within a few hundred yards of their site.  They figured it might have been a tornado in that the area was tore up more than the surrounding forest which was quite damaged as well.

That may have also been a microburst.  I drove through one in a snow storm once - went from flurries to blizzard back to flurries within the course of minutes... thankfully nobody rear ended me since I had to stop and try to pull over but was going from the 'feel' of the wheels on the pavement since I couldn't see 2 feet outside the windshield.  We also had a microburst hit our neighborhood several years ago.  Massive trees knocked down all facing in one direction in a 3 block wide by mile or so long section of the neighborhood.  Lost a Maple in my backyard during that storm.  Just as damaging as a tornado, but without the circulation - just straight on sudden super strong winds.

I would think that if  a tree tell on your tent, it wouldn't make much difference if it was caused by a microburst, tornado or wind shear.  Over the years I've been in too many bad situations camping to appreciate any of them.  If one needs a chain saw to get the equipment back out of the campsite, it's been a bad night.