Krispy Kreme vs Dunkin Donuts

Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which d'oh knut do ya prefer?

We have a house boycott of KK after the local shop dropped Mrs Turtle's favorite the Chocolate Glazed. (though 3 versions of maple) Thus ended the monthly KK Sunday run. But DD opened up a mile farther and donuts are restored...and they have peanut and coconut varieties.

The boycott did extend to any 'free range' donuts left in the work breakroom.

Yes, the maple sugar frosting and BACON is awesome.

I should have added, my family too has a ban on DD. Something in their ingredients really gets to my hoodlums and make their behavior worse than normal. In-laws are not happy with that as Mom-in-law is a donut fanatic, and used to bring a dozen or two from DD since we have a DD store 3 blocks away.

But KK and a local bakery's donuts, as well as the Duck Donuts above (with their MAPLE AND BACON DONUT ;) ) do not cause behavioral issues.

In my part of New Jersey, you cannot drive down any highway (even the minor ones) without passing a Dunkin Donuts about every four minutes.  I have seen Dunkin Donuts one block away from each other.  (Which comes close to the Lewis Black comedy routine about the Starbucks across the street from another Starbucks.)  One DD in my area is in the same shopping plaza as a Weight Watchers store, and seeing the two of them on the same sign is pretty funny.

However, to my knowledge I have never seen a Krispy Kreme.  (There are some convenience stores that will have a case with Krispy Kreme donuts, so who knows how far they have traveled and how long they have been sitting there.)  The Internet tells me that there is exactly one Krispy Kreme in the State of New Jersey, and it is about as far away from me as you can get without being in Pennsylvania.  The Internet also tells me that the company plans to open six stores in NJ "over the next several years", but they aren't here yet.  So for now its Dunkin Donuts.

Waaaay back when I was raising Troop funds by selling KKdonuts (I remember it as being kinda fun, working with my buddy Terry C.  and Paul S.), I honestly don't remember any DD shops, anywhere.  Could be , but I don't remember.   Any history out there,  should we google that? Understand, now, this is back when I was still working on my Stegasaurus Husbandry Merit Badge....

(Which comes close to the Lewis Black comedy routine about the Starbucks across the street from another Starbucks.)  

So I wonder which came first - the Lewis Black starbucks comedy routine or the scene in the Christopher Guest movie Best in Show from 2000 about a Westminster like dog show where the yuppie couple from Chicago talk about how they met when they noticed each other at separate Starbucks kity corner from each other.

A true southerner will like KK.   I like KK way better than DD as I feel that DD is a drier more cake like doughnut.   KK when they are hot and fresh will do down like butter.  When we lived up north all we could get was DD.  My mom hated it. 

I try to stay away from doughnuts as I feel like such crap after I eat some(well that and that I am overweight).  But that being said my husband bought 2 dozen for 3 people in my house.  Geez.   Those are going to go bad before they all get ate.   I may have to down one or two of them(when I have time to feel crappy).  I asked him why he bought so much.  "It was the coupon for this month in the calendar."   I told him that he needs to take them elsewhere so they can get eaten.  Also KK doesn't tend to freeze as well as DD IMO...

I have to break silence on this one. Agree with Jackdaws. To me Krispy Kreme  is one of three absolute components of Heaven (flanked by Dairy Queen and KFC and a big sign saying 'All You Can Eat'). I will divert my route through town, stop by the KK place to pick up a dozen, polish off 6 of those delectable treats in the next few minutes and the rest the next morning. NJ, I am so sorry for your loss. 

Switching off....

Edited by packsaddle

I went to a massive Explorer Scout camp in the UK the other weekend (about 4000 explorers). The Police were there, showing off riot gear and chatting to the Explorers. Just as we walked past them, one turned up with a bag full of donuts for his fellows. I laughed, and suggested to them they may be pandering to stereotypes.

After being revolted and yet simultaneously intrigued by @@SSScout 's post regarding freezing Krispy Kreme, I thought it was time to continue the eternal debate.

My vote is DD. I was born in the North, but grew up in the South. Having sampled both competitors for the majority of my life I've enjoyed both immensely. It comes down to shelf life for me. Within the first 15 minutes of it's existence, a Krispy Kreme donut can't be beat. Warm and fresh. Simply Amazing. However, hours later, even the next day, DD satisfies more.

IMHO.

Your thoughts?

I'm from Krispy Kreme country, but I agree in terms of hot Krispy Kreme donuts--they can't be beat. But after that critical hour or so, Dunkin are better.