Krispy Kreme vs Dunkin Donuts

Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which d'oh knut do ya prefer?

After being revolted and yet simultaneously intrigued by @@SSScout 's post regarding freezing Krispy Kreme, I thought it was time to continue the eternal debate.

My vote is DD. I was born in the North, but grew up in the South. Having sampled both competitors for the majority of my life I've enjoyed both immensely. It comes down to shelf life for me. Within the first 15 minutes of it's existence, a Krispy Kreme donut can't be beat. Warm and fresh. Simply Amazing. However, hours later, even the next day, DD satisfies more.

IMHO.

Your thoughts?

We have a regional convenience store that has its own bakery (and dairy, and everything else including specialty coffees, et al) that pretty much moved both KK and DD out of the neighborhood.  I don't think KK lasted more than 6 months after opening and DD does a bit better because they do coffee too.  They're rather new, so the jury is still out as to how long they will last.

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1

Hate to sound petty, but my house is boycotting KK.  A kindergartner gave my wife (the school nurse) a coupon for a free glazed donut.  The store manager refused to honor it because it had "expired".  Never mind that the store had been closed for several months for remodeling.  So for the sake of a glazed donut (their cost, maybe 3 cents), they have lost hundreds of dollars in business.  And yes, I am telling everyone I know.  

A true southerner will like KK.   I like KK way better than DD as I feel that DD is a drier more cake like doughnut.   KK when they are hot and fresh will do down like butter.  When we lived up north all we could get was DD.  My mom hated it. 

I try to stay away from doughnuts as I feel like such crap after I eat some(well that and that I am overweight).  But that being said my husband bought 2 dozen for 3 people in my house.  Geez.   Those are going to go bad before they all get ate.   I may have to down one or two of them(when I have time to feel crappy).  I asked him why he bought so much.  "It was the coupon for this month in the calendar."   I told him that he needs to take them elsewhere so they can get eaten.  Also KK doesn't tend to freeze as well as DD IMO...

• Upvote 1

Neither is closer to our house than the local bakers.

For a while, my family would go out of their way for KK, but the time they got home, what was left in the box couldn't be distinguished from what could be had from just up the street.

Same with DD's coffee. Good in a pinch, but not worth passing by local shops for.

One up-an-comer that this town is enthusiastic about: http://www.peaceloveandlittledonuts.com/.

I've had both, and prefer KK over DD. HOWEVER, after experiencing  DUCK DONUTS,  a mid-Atlantic chain, I go for them, hands down. Duck Donuts' Maple and Bacon donuts are "da bomb." And yes, real BACON on the donuts.

I prefer local places - nearby is a Spunky Dunkers which has great cake donuts - and if I'm passing one of the two that I know of, the Country Donuts in Elgin or Crystal Lake has the best melt in your mouth crullers I've ever had.

But if I had to choose between a Dunkin Donuts and a Krispy Kreme (assuming there is no Tim Horton's nearby - and yes, there are places you can get Tim Horton's in the US) then I'm going to choose Dunkin based on two criteria:  1)  Better Selection and 2) You can't buy them in a grocery store like you can buy Krispy Kremes - any donuts you can buy in a Walmart, Target, Jewel, Pick & Save, Piggly Wiggly, etc. is not a real donut.

boy, this is a hard one!

I had to vote DD, even though I'm a Southern Boy....

but that vote is conditional....

a fresh & still warm KK can't be beat.... but so many are sold now a days retail in gas stations, after having been trucked in.  Just not quite the same.

I'm having flash backs now, of high school days, and hitting the drive through at KK late at night..... and nearly polishing off a dozen by myself. (NO, I'm not huge, wasn't then, and while I have gained some weight over the years, not as much as it might seem...)

and on top of that, I have a fondness for some of the frosted/filled varieties and that is where DD excels, IMO.

Maple and Bacon flavored Donut?  How more camp can you get than that? 

I once dated a girl (way back in, oh, maybe 1970's)  who was a management intern for Tastee Kake (a true Balmer tradition). She once picked my brain for ideas for a "breakfast" confection, something that could be picked up for less than a buck, but would be nutritious, not only sweet.   Scrambled egg omelet Danish?  Bacon, sausage Danish wrap?   Any of those sound familiar?  

Homer would be proud.  The revival of a past, forgotten tradition.  Selling fresh donuts on a sunday morning, door to door (YP issues?) 

Pavlov, get your napkin out....