Helicopter parents -please focus!

I don't have too many helps, but for #1 the sport bottles of spray sunscreen work well. They are a lower SPF, but by virtue of quick and easy, are amenable to reapplication with less fuss.

Momleader:   Glad we could be the sympathetic ear.   Now, what to do with this not unreasonable list of desires?

Have you shared with your Camp Director?   DE?  

After Good Wife was CD for 5 years and I was (Official Title!) the First Assistant Everything Else,  we learned that very often an indirect approach was good:   Unless the Scout is a real danger to himself or others, if possible, we first spoke to the parent's friend to speak to them.  If we needed to speak to the parent, we (CD, DE, myself, another adult staffer) sometimes had to "ambush" the parent , and spoke to them with a partner (witness) along.  If possible, without the Scout at first, but always with the Scout eventually.  If the Scout protested and denied, we had our witness to back us up. If the parent refused to accept that their Angel Scout could possibly be at fault, we had the witness to the event.   We would be direct, short and sweet, no bush around beating.  We never made any threat of consequence we were not ready to fulfill (call for the parent to pick up, bar from camp, not allow to swim, not allow to do archery, etc.) .  AND we always had the support and agreement of the DE. Without that, you will not succeed in your discipline corrections. 

Of course, all this presupposes there is no diagnosed ADHD issues. That  also needs to be addressed and discussed with the parent(s) in a different but similar manner.

Might be too late for this year,  But perhaps you can share (all feedback is a gift) ,  have a communication with the other CSDC Directors in your Council, other neighboring Districts?

I hope your CSDC can learn for next years adventure!

Edited by SSScout

I think one can get those sunscreen sprays in a pump bottle.

Precisely what I'm talking about. For a while here was a sporting goods store next to camp, that 3 or 6 oz. bottles ... Perfect pocket or hip pack material.

Momleader, good points.  On #2, what you experience is probably what the parents also experience at home, and they don't deal with it properly, so the kids figure it will work on you too.  On #6 I get the impression you don't just mean "other towns" but are being diplomatic.