Pre-Physical Health Form C - accepted medical providers?

I am the parent of a new scout as well as the summer camp coordinator for the troop.  We have quite a few families who no longer see allopathic practitioners as listed on Form C of the medical forms. They see chiropractors and naturopaths as their families' medical care providers.  I feel that I have seen somewhere that DCs & NDs are able to sign off on their son's Form C - but now that it is time to turn the forms in and I see it lists only MD, DO, nurse practitioners or physician assistants, and I can't find where I found that information.  Can you shed any light on this for me?  Thank you? I would hope that BSA would see these alternative healthcare providers as acceptable?

Thanks so much!

This part must be completed by certified and licensed physicians (MD, DO), nurse practitioners, or physician assistants.

This seems pretty clear to me.

I had never heard the term "allopathic practitioner" before (nor has this forum's built-in spellcheck, apparently) so I looked it up on my favorite source for all medical knowledge, Wikipedia. (Sarcasm alert, but most of the time it actually is correct, you just have to be careful.) Apparently "allopathy" is a term used by believers in "alternative medicine" to describe what most of us would just call "medicine", so an "allopathic practitioner" would be what most people would traditionally think of as a medical doctor. With the expansion of those who can "practice" medicine (to at least a degree) to DO's, nurse practitioners (for whom a degree called Doctor of Nursing Practice is in the process of becoming the standard, Wikipedia tells me) and physician's assistants, apparently the BSA is also allowing those who are licensed and/or certified as such to complete Part C of the medical form.

I know some will disagree (including the original poster, apparently), but I think the requirement as to who may complete the form is in the best interest of the Scouts.

Edited by NJCubScouter

...I agree.  That part does seem pretty clear :)   But I know that I had read -and been told- that naturopaths could also sign off so I was curious if anyone had personal experience.

And you are correct! I do indeed hope the BSA accepts licensed Naturopaths :)   (I'm not sharing this argumentatively, I appreciate your input and Wiki-research) The schools in our area accept sports physicals from naturopaths and licensed chiropractic physicians who have clinical training and experience in detecting cardiopulmonary diseases and defects.  Personally, based on our family's last year of medical issues and searching for answers for my scout, two Children's Medical Centers and 6 top-rated neurologists on the west coast, did not have his best interest ... One visit to a naturopath/chiropractor ended 10 months of tremors, and after two more weeks my couch-ridden 12-year-old athlete was also relieved of the numbness and truly debilitating pain and is walking again.  We count our blessings daily that we were able to find answers... answers that were found by asking alternative questions.    

Basically MD, DO, PAs, and RNPs are the only ones who are authorized by the BSA to provide physicals. Basically those with a standardized medical degree. Some DOs are into the allopathy field, it goes alot with the DO field of study from what I've seen and heard.

A "Doctor of Osteopathy" or DO can do anything an MD can do in most, if not all, states, including surgery.  I would not consider a DC, or other alternative medicine practitioner qualified to do a complete physical, any more than I would consider a dentist qualified.  I do see a DC monthly, and not once has he taken my vital signs, or ordered lab work or an EKG or reviewed my immunization status.

To the original post, all things AHMR can be found at this one stop location.  http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/ahmr.aspx  Anything else is hearsay save for a few local camp / state requirements / nuances like CO who requires a specific immunization form.  

You will not find an alternative to the instructions listed at the top of Part C, anything you have read or been told to the contrary is incorrect.    

RichardB

As Scoutldr pointed out, the Doctor of Osteopathy, or DO, is probably the best bet for someone who doesn't wish to seek services from the traditional medical field.  They have received the same training as a Medical Doctor plus the additional training of a chiropractor.  In many cases, a DO will work in the same clinic as a Chiropractor.

Also, let's put this in perspective.  The BSA isn't asking anyone to be treated by an MD, Nurse Practitioner, etc.  They're simply asking that the patient have a physical exam completed by one.  Many Troops bring in a medical practitioner to a pre-camp meeting to make sure all of the boys have their paperwork completed prior to camp.  I think the practitioner that our son's Troop uses charges $25 for this service.

I have seen several DO's in addition to MD's. DO training now is very similar to MD's is what I was told. It really is a difference in outlook. In my experience the DO is more of a total systems thinker and will ask more questions about work, diet, family as well as check for drug interactions. My MD's tend to be very much more focused but miss a few things. As a diabetic I prefer the DO...as there is a whole furball of issues. I don't find them that 'nontraditional' any more; none of my DO's have ever mentioned anything chiropractic though they have done more through abdominal exams checking organs, etc. IMHO the colon exam is the same as MD vs DO; I look for hand size on that more than anything. ;P

I would think BSA would be pretty conservative on this

My bonus daughter went to medical DO school.  She was tops in her class and passed both the DO and MD exams.  Her training in DO was more homeopathic and holistic.  She has more options available to her for her patients than does the MD.  She is starting her 4th year of residency and will be chief resident this year and when she is done she has offers in private practice in the field of OB/GYN.  I don't know if she uses the DO or MD title or both. 

We have a branch of the Mayo Health system in our area and there seems to be about as many DO's as there are MD's on staff.

Checked with her.  Bonus daughter's title is DO because of her schooling, but the hospital she's at in Houston is a MD residency program and she qualifies because she passed the MD exams.  She is not a surgeon per se, but she does surgeries on a regular basis.  From her explanation and my historic understanding of the MD/DO issue, I'm thinking the titles don't always give a reflection of the actual situation of each doctor.

Edited by Stosh

For the benefit of the original poster and anyone else who may not be aware, RichardB is director of health and safety at BSA National, so his answer is about as authoritative as you will get on this forum, on a health and safety issue.

Thank you for the answer Richard.

From my own perspective, I agree with some of the answers above, that you and you fellow parents are not being asked by the BSA to change who treats your children.  You are simply being asked to have a specific kind of medical professional sign off on your childrens' health status.  I do not think it is an unreasonable requirement.