Eagle board of review?

When the scout has SMC does the troop do a board of review for the rank BEFORE the actual Eagle board of review.

In the scout book, there is a spot that needs to be checked off for SMC and the a board of review below needs to be checked off.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And now one can understand that pre-paring a scout for such a possibility is well within the realm of taking care of one's boys.  Not all EBOR's are held at Camelot.  Even with a questionable board me

"The BSA discourages mock or practice boards of review. “Practice†reviews may imply that board members will ask predetermined questions or that the board of review is anticipated to be other than

Okay let's look at it this way.   1) The boy has fulfilled all the requirements.  He has already passed. 2) The boy goes in for what purpose other than getting the last requirement signed off? None

There is only one board of review for each rank.

If your Council does Eagle BORs at the District- or Council-level (like mine does), then that's it - there's no unit-level pre-BOR.

I have recently become aware that some troops in my district do have a "troop board of review" before the official EBOR. Ours does not. I think these are really "practice" EBOR's, so they could potentially benefit the Scout - but only if it is conducted in a way that makes the Scout more prepared for the EBOR and reduces (rather than increasing) the Scout's anxiety about the whole thing.

I believe the GTA says that a Scout cannot be REQUIRED to participate in an unofficial or practice EBOR, but it does not prohibit them.

(Moving this to Advancement section.)

Edited by NJCubScouter

"The BSA discourages mock or practice boards of review. “Practice†reviews may imply that board members will ask predetermined questions or that the board of review is anticipated to be other than a positive experience."

G2A, pg. 56

"10. An Eagle candidate may have only one board of review (though it may be adjourned and reconvened). Subsequent action falls under the appeals process. (See “Appealing a Decision,†8.0.4.0.)"

G2A, pg. 59

Don't do "troop" board of review prior to the "real thing", unless everyone participating, including the Scout and his parents, are completely aware that its a mock review and that it doesn't count and agree to it, otherwise you'll trigger an appeals process.

Edited by MrBob
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

:)  I always do a BOR for the old Scout award.  I told my boys it was a freebie one so they would have some idea the kinds of things they would be asked once they got to their actual rank advancements.  Anyway, the boys liked them because my committee used the opportunity to make sure the boy wasn't going to feel intimidated and it was upbeat and encouraging for the boys.  I always would do an SM AAR after wards to get an idea of the boys' reaction.  None of them had a negative reaction and 90% said they were nervous going in but it wasn't as bad as they thought it was going to be.  Some initially thought was likened to getting called into the principle's office.

For Eagle I have a pre-EBOR session besides the SMC.  I give them pointers and the session is optional.  Boys that take my pre-EBOR session fare far better at their EBOR than those that don't.

• Upvote 1

In our troop we always have the committee do an eagle board of review all of the scouts are very aware will be done at a district-level so this is really just a last chance for the scouters to listen to the 16-17 year olds reflections on his scouting career. It's amazing to listen to the insight from someone who was just a tenderfoot a year ago. Or was it two or tbree or... six! How did that happen? We talk about what Eagle means to them, what it means in the eyes of others, what their plans are, and anything they want to talk about. The most common theme is the scouters don't challenge the scouts to do more.

Edited by Oldscout448
  • Upvote 1

Our Eagle guy merely counsels them on what is the usual content of the EBOR and answers any questions the boy has about the process. The EBOR usually takes about 30 minutes or so. Mine was all of about 10 minutes way back when.

Edited by vumbi

We haven't gotten that far yet. Highest ranking Scout is Star. However, our district advancement committee, which is really the Eagle BOR as they don't really handle all the other stuff involved, does a yearly meeting for all Life Scouts, parents, and leaders interested. Don't know if Star Scouts are invited, but if they are, I'm hoping to have one particular Scout attend if he can finish up one requirement for Communications, and have a BOR this month.

Hmm, this is interesting. I've never heard of practice EBORs.

Maybe our EBORs (done by District) are easy, or our scouts are just above average, but the BORs not challenging. I spent a little time explaining the EBOR format during my SM Conference with the scout by giving few general examples, but that was more to show him that nothing will be asked he doesn't know.  

Practice EBORs? What does your EBORs ask that typical Life scouts don't already know?

Barry

Hmm, this is interesting. I've never heard of practice EBORs.

Maybe our EBORs (done by District) are easy, or our scouts are just above average, but the BORs not challenging. I spent a little time explaining the EBOR format during my SM Conference with the scout by giving few general examples, but that was more to show him that nothing will be asked he doesn't know.  

Practice EBORs? What does your EBORs ask that typical Life scouts don't already know?

Barry

Yes, I've never heard of a practice EBOR until I moved to NC. Only reason I can think doing it here locally is that when the council went from troops holding EBORs with a district rep to district level EBORs, the troops kept doing them anyway, calling them practice.

Personally I think it's a waste of time. But that is me.

Yes, I've never heard of a practice EBOR until I moved to NC. Only reason I can think doing it here locally is that when the council went from troops holding EBORs with a district rep to district level EBORs, the troops kept doing them anyway, calling them practice.

Personally I think it's a waste of time. But that is me.

I offer up a chance for the Eagle candidates to visit in a session as prep for EBOR.  What they did with that information is up to them.  I had one boy who sat through my "session" and did not pay attention to what I suggested.  In fact the Board asked him 22 questions he grunted and gave one or two word answers to.  They asked me in closed session what my take was on the boy and I told them I had submitted my form letter SM recommendation to the council and it should be in the paperwork.  Of course they passed him on through to Eagle, but it wasn't a stellar moment for the boy.  He really didn't care, his dad had Eagled so he was going through the motions to satisfy him.  The next boy that evening was another of my Eagle candidates and he followed to a "T" my suggestions.  He walked in, took control of the situation and the Board was able to only ask him 4 questions.  He walked in, stood before the panel, saluted and held it.  The Board did not know how to respond to that.  Finally one of them told the boy saluting other scouters was not respectful, to which the boy cited chapter verse and page number of the Scout Handbook that it was an appropriate way to show respect.  After that I think the Board was a bit nervous about asking him questions.  :)  He was the Eagle Scout speaker at the Council's Golden Eagle Banquet that year.

Some boys benefit from learning, others do not.  I create opportunities, it 's up to the boys to make the best of them.

We always practice as an option. Some boys just need some practice, reassurance, or an idea what it might be like. Our Life to Eagle lady just sat with my son and asked him some practice questions--he seemed ready so that was that.

Some boys benefit from learning, others do not.  I create opportunities, it 's up to the boys to make the best of them.

Opportunity? What does a scout in your troop learn during your practice EBOR that he doesn't already know?

I don't get it, but one thing I've learned on this forum lately is that troops have a culture of expectation and each troop is different.

Our culture expects a scout to act with a minimum maturity the represents his rank. A life scout is expected to act with the same maturity of the adults in the troop. And they are held accountable when they don't live up to that expectation. That maturity includes the scout taking personal responsibility for his knowledge of skills and his character. I guess we just wouldn't see a point to a practice EBOR when our scouts are at their best.

This is not to say our scouts are exceptional, I don't mean that at all. What I mean is we expect scouts going in an EBOR to already be ready by the fact they have reached that point in the program. What more does a Life Scout need to learn that he hasn't already learned and experienced? Seems like the troop is taking the scout's personal business a little too personally. 

Barry

• Upvote 1

We always practice as an option. Some boys just need some practice, reassurance, or an idea what it might be like.

I do understand the reassurance part. But it is funny, I find the source of doubt in most cases to come from the parents. When a scout asked me for the Eagle Scoutmaster Conference, I always asked the scout to invite his parents if he doesn't mind. About 50% of the parents accept the invite, and it was usually those parents that had some concern about the EBOR. So I usually addressed the few example questions more for the parents benefit so that they could feel relaxed and allow their son to feel relaxed. But again, since we assume the scout is ready, our demeanor also reflects our confidence in him.

Barry