Out of the mouths of young men....sigh

SPL was instructed from SM at PLC to find out from scout, what he needed to earn first class and put that on the meeting pln. Said scout is,also the scribe and should have been at PLC but never shows up. After getting requirements SPL was to figure out what would be needed from troop trailer or home to teach scout.

But because scout did not return emails or phone calls, SPL could not put it on the meeting plan. When SM received meeting plan, was not pleased that the requirements for the scouts needed were not on the plan. So my son SPL, was scolded again for something he had no control over.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He. Needs. To. Find. A. New. Troop. Right. Now.

+1   Say adios to the old troop as soon as possible. 

Something struck me as I've been reading all of this - the Scout has said that he is done with Scouting - that he is no longer enthusiastic about it and now just wants to get his Eagle and get out - n

I'm quoting the 9th Doctor, "RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!"

If SPL hates the troop, that's a major problem. Unless he is trying to change the troop around, he needs to leave. And even then he needs the adults support, otherwise they will do as they are doing.

My troop is not as bad, but we have issues of adults running things when they shouldn't be. My son is not 100% happy and wants to change things. Luckily there is some support for that. But if things do no change, he is transferring.

Son "is" trying to change the troop. His last troop was a very good troop. Very well oiled, had some chunks but for the most part a really nice troop. THIS is where he learned how it "can" be in scouts and wants to help this troop get there. But the adults are stopping him, this is,where the dislike comes in.

I just had a heart to heart with him about 3 hours ago and he told me before I could tell him. " MOM, I need to get off this bus, but I don't know how". He read a book given to him from his football coach, "The Energy Bus". And in the book it tells you that if the energy on the bus you are on is too negative, you gotta either kick those vampires off, or leave yourself. So, he has leaving on his mind.

Son told me if SM does not give him his conference and sign his application at the meeting, he is going to politely shake SMS hand, grab his dad and brother and say good bye and search for a new troop. He was going to go to a different troop anyway after Eagle, no way would he stay here. Sniff Sniff. Boy do I have a headache

Son told me if SM does not give him his conference and sign his application at the meeting, he is going to politely shake SMS hand, grab his dad and brother and say good bye and search for a new troop. He was going to go to a different troop anyway after Eagle, no way would he stay here. Sniff Sniff. Boy do I have a headache

Well, it sounds like your son has things figured out - good for him.  All you need to do now is sit back and be supportive of his decision :)

Let me turn this one around. If this refugee scout showed up at your door what would you do?

With transfers, we often touch base with former SM's.

That usually has nothing to do with advancement decisions ... more about what the boy liked or didn't like ... if there's something we could offer by way of giving the kid a fresh start ... how the parents might contribute to our troop,  etc ...

Without hearing from the other SM, I'm not entirely sure how soon we would give him an Eagle SMC.

We had several scouts close to Eagle transfer into the troop. All great scouts, but I learned to sit down and talk about expectations because scouts come from a different Troop, District, and Council cultures that did the Eagle process differently. Once everyone gets that all straitened out, it's not big deal.

Barry

We have had a number of transfers including some 'problem children' who had bounced through several Troops. We offered a clean slate provided they met expectations. Sometimes there is just too much bad blood at the old troop to move forward. But most of the time it works out.

• Upvote 1

Most of the "problem children" we get are a result of either parents butting heads with SM or the boy butting heads with the SM.  Either way when they come to our troop, half the problem is automatically taken care of.

• Upvote 2

I think one advantage here is the dad being a Unit Commissioner.  Now, I understand that could be in any of the branches of Scouting, but at the very least he should know other UCs and be able to get a recommendation on a good troop from them (or conversely, which Troops might be best to avoid).  Also, the other Troops may already know (or know of) dad.

Zuzy suggested that the Dad's position as UC of the unit may have been at least partly responsible for the problem between the scout and the SM.

I would suggest that they do not repeat that mistake with a new unit.

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 1

I've had a couple of transfers unhappy with their previous troops.  I usually hear out both parent and scout about what they didn't like about previous troop and what they're looking for now.  Our program is pretty straight forward and I describe for them how and why we do what we do.  My experience has been solidly positive, most of the time the problem has been rigidity on the part of the other troop, fueled by a clash of personalities on both sides.  

In terms of where they are advancement wise I take what Scoutnet says for rank and merit badges and whatever blue cards they have.  If there was a question about credit for a POR for the rank they're currently on I might have a chat with someone from the previous troop and then I make my own call about what the scout needs to still do for his current troop and patrol mates.

Zuzy suggested that the Dad's position as UC of the unit may have been at least partly responsible for the problem between the scout and the SM.

I would suggest that they do not repeat that mistake with a new unit.

This is really a separate discussion, but UC is kind of an odd position. I'd like to think I'm open to suggestions from anyone,  but I have an ego too, I'd need to be convinced I was just flat doing something blatantly mistakenly before I would accept someone outside telling me what I'm doing is just wrong.