Out of the mouths of young men....sigh

There is no requirement for any unit to buy or wear the uniform.

If the UC is insisting that a unit be uniformed, he is way out of line.

No, there's no requirement...  its just one of the METHODS of the program.  But don't let that stand in your way.

Uniform

The uniform makes the Boy Scout troop visible as a force for good and creates a positive youth image in the community. Boy Scouting is an action program, and wearing the uniform is an action that shows each Boy Scout's commitment to the aims and purposes of Scouting. The uniform gives the Boy Scout identity in a world brotherhood of youth who believe in the same ideals. The uniform is practical attire for Boy Scout activities and provides a way for Boy Scouts to wear the badges that show what they have accomplished.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He. Needs. To. Find. A. New. Troop. Right. Now.

+1   Say adios to the old troop as soon as possible. 

Something struck me as I've been reading all of this - the Scout has said that he is done with Scouting - that he is no longer enthusiastic about it and now just wants to get his Eagle and get out - n

He is also MBC for "all" merit badges.  Most of the signatures on the scouts in this troop are SM's or ASM's. 

He cannot be MBC for "all" merit badges... if he's signing off on merit badges he's not registered for, all of those merit badges are invalid.

Which would explain why he never turns in any advancement reports.

When I was a young Neighborhood Commissioner, the first thing I was told in training is that I was to be the SM's helper, not an enforcer for the Council or a judge in any sense.  After all, the SM worked for the Troop Committee, not the Council, much less me.

• Upvote 1

No, there's no requirement...  its just one of the METHODS of the program.  But don't let that stand in your way.

Uniform

The uniform makes the Boy Scout troop visible as a force for good and creates a positive youth image in the community. Boy Scouting is an action program, and wearing the uniform is an action that shows each Boy Scout's commitment to the aims and purposes of Scouting. The uniform gives the Boy Scout identity in a world brotherhood of youth who believe in the same ideals. The uniform is practical attire for Boy Scout activities and provides a way for Boy Scouts to wear the badges that show what they have accomplished.

I too like the notion of a uniformly dressed "team."  I advocate for it regularly.  But use of that method would be facilitated if we went back to a uniform, instead of a brand of clothing. Remember, all dressed alike regardless of social status?  To quote Scoutstuff.org: 

Boy Scoutâ„¢ Uniform (Youth)

Availability:Out of stock

To:$195.89

There are ways to address inability to buy even the cheap version, but lack of funds seems most trivial - an "excuse" - to those who have either missed out on poverty or feel superior for having overcome it.  You do know we have Scout units that feed diner to the Scouts and Cubs in their "group" because the kids have more fun when not significantly hungry?  Things look different "over there."

Something struck me as I've been reading all of this - the Scout has said that he is done with Scouting - that he is no longer enthusiastic about it and now just wants to get his Eagle and get out - never to be involved again (and never is an awful long time).

At this point, I agree with the notion that it is time to get out of this unit - but I also agree that it would be unfair for a new unit to be expected to pick up the slack for this unit - At this current unit, this Scout has very good grounds to apply for his Eagle base on disputed circumstances - and this is the route I would now take.  I'd still recommend going to a new unit, but having a discussion with a new SM about why he's leaving his old unit, and that he is not expecting the new unit to sign off on anything as he's already filed under disputed circumstances could go a long way to easing the mind of the new SM that the Scout is just "using" the unit for their own ends.

In all this, I've not seen any mention of the chartered organization, the COR and the head of the chartered organization.  Do they know what's happening in this unit?  Do they accept it?  Most of the time, you can't change a unit - but in this case, you may still be able to influence change a you leave - and that's by having your son (not you, not dad - your son) write a letter (a real, stamped, delivered by a mailman letter) to the head of the chartering organization telling of his struggles with this set of leaders and how this chartering organization's Troop has discouraged him from remaining a Scout, or being part of scouting as an adult.  I would even say that as a former Scout of this unit, I would not only not recommend that anyone join this unit, I would make sure that everyone he talks to about the Boy Scouts know just how poorly this Troop is being run - and here's an important part - in the letter, you don't refer to it as "Troop XX"  You refer to it a "Chartering Organization's Troop XX" - every time.  Drive the point home - it is always, everytime, the "Lion's Club Troop XX" - that will definitely get the organizations attention.

• Upvote 2

COR wants NOTHING to do with this troop. The feeder pack will not get close with a ten foot pole. UC has tried to get COR invomved, they want nothing to do with this troop. Have not had any cross overs now for three years. They do not even try to get new scouts. Had a mad exodus of 8 families lije 4 years ago. Gee, I wonder why. Son joined this troop two years ago in fall when he needed a troop that met on Sundays, and they do.

If SPL is determined to leave his current unit, and he can't find an appropriate new unit right away, he might consider signing up as a Lone Scout.

If his dad has an "in" at the council HQ, he should have no problem registering and advancing to eagle as a Lone Scout.

Edited by David CO

"Not all boys are able to join a traditional Cub Scout pack or Boy Scout troop. They may reside in remote areas of the country, live overseas, or be in a place where it just isn’t safe for them to attend traditional unit meetings. Lone Scouting may be the answer for these youth."

Learning More About Lone Scouting:  call or write the BSA National Council at: Boy Scouts of America 1325 West Walnut Hill Lane P.O. Box 152079 Irving, TX 75015-2079 972-580-2000"

Eagle based on dispute. Can son then have his Eagle COH with his new troop?

How long would dispute take and would it involve son having to testify?

It'd be up to da new troop about an ECOH.  I expect most would say "yes".

The way the Disputed Circumstances route goes is that a lad should have everything done for Eagle except the SM Conference/BOR.   Then the district takes over for those things, eh?   So it doesn't need to take a long time if yeh already have things in place.   Your son would have to "testify" at his Board of Review, nuthin' more.   A good district should push back gently, since the Disputed Circumstances route shouldn't be an easy end-run around da unit leadership, but if your son makes a good written case for it and it seems like the SM/Committee aren't open to doin' their part, it tends to move along.

If the lad has time and is open to continuing in Scouting, though, I'd say go the new troop route.  Try to spend at least 6 months contributing as an active player and leader in the new troop before yeh go for Eagle, even if yeh don't "need" the time.   That way his new troop-mates get to know him, his new adult leaders get to appreciate him, and da Eagle process and ECOH are more meaningful for everybody.  Might also renew the lad's long-term interest in Scoutin', and get him to stick around. :)

Beavah

Edited by Beavah