I'll tell you this - I believe this is a unit problem to solve, not a problem that should be shouldered by the boy and his mother.  I tell every new member of my Pack this - I never want financial need to be the reason why a Boy doesn't participate in Scouting.  

Yah, I confess I'm personally a believer in this approach, and in @@David CO' s notion that such things should be done discreetly.

Families experiencin' financial stress are typically experiencin' all kinds of other stress, eh?  Parent workin' multiple low-wage / temporary / on-call jobs, strugglin' to keep an old car on the road, da personal and family stress that comes with financial stress, health issues, supportin' older relatives who also may be havin' hard times, etc.  Plus lack of skills, bad habits, etc. eh?  Stuff like what @@meyerc13 describes.

Yeh can't solve all of these as a scout unit.  All yeh can do is try to lower the barriers to a boy's ability to participate equally with his friends in Scouting.   

Beavah

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just finished three years as a Cubmaster for a Pack that serves the two schools in our District with the highest percentage of economically disadvantaged students (one includes the local homeless sh

Time for coffee with the folks.   It also applies to the parents that can't afford scouting yet the two of them are a pack a day smokers who burn up $5,000+ a year on smokes.  Priorities.  Their prior

One can self-outfit a BWCA float for about 1/3rd the cost of Norther Tier.  I've hiked all over and Philmont is no different than any of the other hikes out there.   One doesn't need to spend a ton

Yah, I confess I'm personally a believer in this approach, and in @@David CO' s notion that such things should be done discreetly.

That's precisely why we try to make clear to the parents that we have an executive committee to address these issues.

A family's pride is often at stake, and they don't want their dirty laundry aired on some grapevine.

Beyond discretionary funds, we have scouters who will dig deep if we tell them a kid is coming up a couple hundred short. They will be furious with us if they get word that a kid didn't make it to camp because of financial issues.

My Aunt is probably the nation's oldest Campfire Girl. Weeks on end under canvas hiking the Catskills during depression-era summers. Immigrant family. No $. No idea who funded her. Lots of folks around here with similar stories.

Big ticket scouting is a different issue. If there is no way a kid will come close to the first down-payment for HA or Jambo, then maybe it's wrong to put time and money toward that adventure when other things should be a priority.

• Upvote 1

Frank, we've seen what you discribed before, and it does chafe after paying from your own pocket and then the stepdad go to Atlanta for a 4 day road rally. Gulp!!

This case is much different, and more clear cut. We participate in popcorn sales, and have expectations that each will pay their dues in full by selling a quota of popcorn. It takes effort. This scout will have that opportunity in the months to come, but we've got lots of camping before then.

Thanks for the comments. We'll make it work.

• Upvote 1

Is summer camp still going on? Try and get him to CIT at the summer camp or a summer camp. People will pitch in a few bucks depending on the camp. And it can help him out in the long run.

Our troop has a scholarship fund set aside for scouts with financial hardship. We don't advertise it, but if someone asks for help we consider their case and grant the request or not. However, we do not pay the full price for anything. The scout or his family must still pay half of whatever they are receiving assistance with. As for uniforms and MB books, we have a uniform exchange and a troop library. There are many ways to skin this cat. It just takes a bit of effort.

• 4 weeks later...

From my own experience with our local cub scout troop, I can honestly say that I am tired of the higher than the mighty attitude that some of the cub scout leaders show in our troop. I went to sit in on a committee meeting a while back and got to hear them ridicule one of the parents of a youth because they asked for assistance and did not clarify if they would pay any of the youths camp fees. But to the other end, the troop person did not explain how the process works and their repayment. Things were said until I spoke up and said that I grew up with this person and knew them quite well. On another occasion, the CM made fun of the school that my son goes to and really did not want to do a recruiting event there. Until I reminded him that is where he picked up my son and another youth. Then the attitude changed. But he was still a no show to recruit at that school this year. 

Personally, I will be so glad to be out of this group and, to be honest when my younger son can start the program in a year or two then it will not be with this troop.  Well, I guess I will have to see as he will no longer be there but the issue is not just with him. I just take issue with an organization that tries to teach Godly manners to be so condescending nature. My GF works two jobs so that we can make ends meet. I have several health issues that keep me from working currently.  No, I am not on disability because of the same attitudes about it as for being poor.  Yes, a youth can do work to make money but it is really hard when you're talking about a 10-11 yr old. I would not let my son go door to door without me. At the same time, I can not be out on my feet for very long. Plus I would not let my son mow someone else's lawn. He has enough problems with ours and the small part he helps with. Plus our pack only does one fundraiser a year and that is the overpriced popcorn. Sorry, I also only have middle and low-income friends and he gets a whole 10%? Woo Hoo.  I am just going to stop rambling and be quiet now. 

@@ammocanman, welcome to the forums!

This is precisely why we don't talk about supporting particular scouts in committee meetings. The executive committee, if they need to, would get people's opinions one on one.

I hope your situation improves, but as a son of a disabled dad, I can assure you that knowing I had to live within certain limits did me nothing but good. Your boys will grow up fine. Hopefully some of your fellow adults will too.