Insight into Public Perception of BSA

Not sure, and I know I'm looking at this from a fair distance away, but are the people who comment on fox news articles that representative? Is it unfair of me to suggest that many fox news readers would only think the BSA is ok if there were merit badges for stocking up on canned goods, testing water for fluoride, and semi automatic rifle maintenance? Anything less is liberal namby pamby hiding behind mom's apron nonsense?

Of course, it could be a fine upstanding impartial news broadcaster, but that's not the impression I get.

Ian

Not sure, and I know I'm looking at this from a fair distance away, but are the people who comment on fox news articles that representative? Is it unfair of me to suggest that many fox news readers would only think the BSA is ok if there were merit badges for stocking up on canned goods, testing water for fluoride, and semi automatic rifle maintenance? Anything less is liberal namby pamby hiding behind mom's apron nonsense?

Of course, it could be a fine upstanding impartial news broadcaster, but that's not the impression I get.

Ian

US cable news is hit or miss depending on the journalist. I guess that goes for all journalists. Some are fact finding newsfolks. Others are infotainment newscasters

No surprise. Not one comment that I read had the stones to put forward an alternative youth organization ... makes them no different than the permissive sexual ethic activists that these flamers despise.

There is, however, a leeriness towards BSA. Some parents at church want to host a pack, and the elders have asked me to help respond to various concerns. Among them: the public profile of a CO who may be selective about who among its volunteers takes leadership roles.

For parents, it's still a brand that they trust. For beleaguered organizations, it's a liability.

For parents, it's still a brand that they trust. For beleaguered organizations, it's a liability.

Good comment. Our Methodist church seemed to anguish at one time about continuing the charter ( a combo of controversy wariness and annoyance by some of boys running about) but it was the woman's auxiliary that told the church leadership that it was nonsense not to support the Troop. I guess it paid to help at their annual luncheon after all....

Good comment. Our Methodist church seemed to anguish at one time about continuing the charter ( a combo of controversy wariness and annoyance by some of boys running about) but it was the woman's auxiliary that told the church leadership that it was nonsense not to support the Troop. I guess it paid to help at their annual luncheon after all....

Never, ever, ever, mess with the church ladies.......

• Upvote 2

Never, ever, ever, mess with the church ladies.......

The church gentlemen did not always like us and caused us some problems despite our best efforts. However they recently folded and the church board donated their remaining funds to the Troop! Karma.

• Upvote 1

No surprise. Not one comment that I read had the stones to put forward an alternative youth organization ... makes them no different than the permissive sexual ethic activists that these flamers despise.

There is, however, a leeriness towards BSA. Some parents at church want to host a pack, and the elders have asked me to help respond to various concerns. Among them: the public profile of a CO who may be selective about who among its volunteers takes leadership roles.

Huh? One of the comments on the first page advocated for Trail Life USA.

Yup, it does.  We have a Catholic Church  for a CO, so we do whatever around the church campus that the little old church ladies want us to do. We recently helped with serving lunch for a women's retreat. 

Our church ladies love us!  We're a new troop and when the Norwegian Supper rolled around we volunteered to help out wherever we could.

We showed up and asked what we could do.  The one lady suggested busing tables.  Not a problem.  By the end of the evening we were also doing the dishes and hung around to make sure everything got cleaned up.  The church's youth group came down for one hour and worked as did the men's group.  Our boys were there from beginning to end, just like the church ladies.  We are now golden!  If the Church Council ever tried to revoke the charter, they would have to take on the Ladies first.  :)

• Upvote 1

Our Troop works the not so wholesome Gasparilla Pirate Parade in Tampa. The adult parade is a several 200,000-500,000 drunk and tart fest. We usually sell water and snacks at a reasonable price and make a lot of money (not everyone wants to hydrate on beer all day). Occasionally me and my boys might stop to watch the parade for a while (it can go on for hours) and we are usually wearing the Class A's. My boys get so many extra beads by middle age mom pirates because they look like wholesome choir angels in comparison...the brand works even in the den of inequity. I have mixed emotions about doing the adult parade but it is the big civic event. Our CO never said anything--many of the churches rent out their property for event parking.

• Upvote 1