Difference between canoe merit badge and row boat merit badge?

My son is headed off for his first camp out. He filled out the form for his schedule, but now he's second guessing what he selected. What is the difference between canoe and rowboat?

He chose kayaking and rowing as his MBs this summer. He wants to do some other nonMB things with the rest of his time- snorkeling and fishing mostly.

Thank you.

Probably the way you face? I don't know much, and maybe it different in the US to where I am in the UK, but I thought rowing was where you had your back to the prow of the boat. 

Actually, the difference is rollocks! Or oar-locks.

Rowing - the oar is attached to the boat

Canoeing - you hold the paddle in your hands, and it's not attached to the boat.

Rowing could be anything from tubby little row boats to sleek race boats

Canoeing is probably what we in the UK would call canadian canoes, open, long, you use a one ended paddle.

• Upvote 1

A lot of the same requirements and overlap. As described above. At summer camp mostly sitting on the docks being instructed and waiting to paddle around. Basically row boats. Swamping and rescue drills different. Some boys really enjoy the rowing workout,

Yes, "Canadian Canoes"...which we got from the indigenous Natives.  Canoeing teaches different strokes for one and two man configurations.  How to properly stroke, turn, stop, maneuver, change positions with your partner, swamp the canoe and de-water it.  Rowing is much the same, only with rowboats.  As Ian said, you sit facing the rear of the boat, how to stroke, feather your oars, change positions, swamp and de-water, and the hardest for some, row in a straight line!  If he likes fishing have him sign up for Fishing MB.  Much of that is done on his own time...catch a fish, clean and cook it.

Why do we always concentrate on differences?  Why can't we think about our similarities? 

"a rising tide lifts all boats"

"whatever floats your boat"

"You can't get to heaven in a red rowboat".

"Away All Boats".

One is long and skinny, and if you stand up in it, you tip over.

The other is wider, more stable,  heavier to carry. 

One used by Voyageurs, the other by John Wesley Powell.

Paddles vs oars.

Biremes vs triremes vs waka tapu waua.

Good to know J-stroke and sculling and feathering. 

"Now reach, ye lubbers!  Put yer backs into it!"

... He chose kayaking and rowing as his MBs this summer. He wants to do some other nonMB things with the rest of his time- snorkeling and fishing mostly.

It's much easier to maneuver fishing tackle and snorkling/scuba gear (and divers) from a rowboat! (Most oarlocks can double as a stand for the divers' flag.) Kayak's and canoes are definitely stealthier. Nowadays, I just use my kayak paddle when canoeing.

Kayaking is much more of a challenge to fish from. More fun once you have a fish on, though. Never tried snorkeling from one. But the 90-pound dog seems to love swimming out to me and climbing aboard!

Hmmm... not all canoes are alike, nor are all rowboats alike.  There are fishing canoes that can be easily stood up in and in non-American countries that use canoes they don't paddle them, they stand up and use a pole.  I've done both.  Going down stream the paddle works just fine, but so does the pole.  Going upstream.... definitely the pole.  Rowboat in the rapids?  I don't think so....  On the other hand, Small Boat Sailing MB in the rapids can be quite exciting.

Ok. Thanks. Sounds like there isn't  huge difference? He's ten, average size. Would either one be better than the other? 

We have done those huge canoes as part of guided tours but that is the extent of it.

Part of the fun is learning how to manage different boats. So, the only way to know which one is preferable is to try.

At that age, the swamping drills will be a challenge. But that's part of the fun.

Fact is, if he doesn't like any MB course, especially if one is too challenging, he can talk to the SM and see if he could sign up for something else.

Q: So, he already has swimming MB?

• Upvote 1

My son is headed off for his first camp out. He filled out the form for his schedule, but now he's second guessing what he selected. What is the difference between canoe and rowboat?

He chose kayaking and rowing as his MBs this summer. He wants to do some other nonMB things with the rest of his time- snorkeling and fishing mostly.

Thank you.

I would say that if this was his last camping trip, the choice would be worth the thought process your son is putting into it. But since it is his first, the real question is not which he is going to do, but which he is going to this time, and which he is going to do next time. To me that is more of a coin-flip decision than a second-guessing-type decision. There is no wrong answer, because one activity will not preclude the other, it will just postpone it.

Part of the fun is learning how to manage different boats. So, the only way to know which one is preferable is to try.

At that age, the swamping drills will be a challenge. But that's part of the fun.

Fact is, if he doesn't like any MB course, especially if one is too challenging, he can talk to the SM and see if he could sign up for something else.

Q: So, he already has swimming MB?

Yes, he already has the swimming MB. That isn't required to do those MBs, is it? His friend doesn't have the swimming MB and are planning on doing canoe/rowing together.

I would say that if this was his last camping trip, the choice would be worth the thought process your son is putting into it. But since it is his first, the real question is not which he is going to do, but which he is going to this time, and which he is going to do next time. To me that is more of a coin-flip decision than a second-guessing-type decision. There is no wrong answer, because one activity will not preclude the other, it will just postpone it

I understand what you are saying and yes, knowing my kid, he would love either one. Thank you!

Yes, he already has the swimming MB. That isn't required to do those MBs, is it? His friend doesn't have the swimming MB and are planning on doing canoe/rowing together.

They only need to pass the swimmer test, they don't need the MB.

I think the main difference is that the rowboat is heavier and requires a little more muscle to go the same distance. I took the rowboat MB my first summer camp and canoeing the next year. The rowing MB was more fun for me. 

Barry