So what do you all think about Scouts and Pokémon Go? For those of you who do not know, you walk around and Pokémon will pop up wherever you are. The Pokémon you get will depend on your location. So if the Scout is on a hike and they have the app open, they will find Pokémon. I know they always say to not bring electronics, but kids find a way...so again, what do you all think about it?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm about to go on my daily urban walk.  I expect I'll see oak, maple, spruce and locust trees; multiple prairie plants, maybe some cat tails; robins, starlings, gulls, geese and if I'm lucky pa

Its a proper adaptation of LNT guidelines to an urban environment - you want to blend-in with your surroundings so as not to disrupt the native's enjoyment of their habitat.

Look by definition if WE have heard of this it is already past peak.

Seriously?

It might get a few off the sofa, but the rest of us who don't spend that much time in the house, it's kind of a waste of time.  I had a deer pop up in my yard yesterday while I was mowing.  Does that count?  Neighbor had black bear and cub pop up in his yard a few weeks past.  That's gotta count for something, too.

I just saw this thing two days ago with an adult in my troop. Conclusion: great way to get hit by a car. The good news is rather than a driver being distracted and hitting someone on a bike, it will be the distracted person getting hit by a car. The bad news, it will likely be a child.

When gpses first came out I spent too much time looking at the screen and not enough looking at the scene. Eventually I figured that all out.

Here's a cheaper version. Get a bunch of blindfolds and an area away from the street. Make pokemon characters out of paper cups. Learn how to use other senses to get around. To network, talk and listen.

If an unstoppable force meets an imoveable object....?

if a tree falls in the woods, does it make any sound?

If a texting driver runs over a Pokemon Go player, does anyone notice?

Inquiring minds want to know..... maybe.

I don't know anything about the app but have a few questions.  

- Can you turn it into a patrol competition?  Maybe one patrol as antagonist (Team Rocket?) and another as the protagonist?  

- Can you use it for a meeting opener or closer?  Get your patrol work done and we'll go play the game?

- Can all your scouts participate equally?  Do they all have smart phones?  Can it be a teamwork thing?

- Can you tie it into another skill?  Play the game but plot your location on a paper map when you find the pokemon?

So what do you all think about Scouts and Pokémon Go? For those of you who do not know, you walk around and Pokémon will pop up wherever you are. The Pokémon you get will depend on your location. So if the Scout is on a hike and they have the app open, they will find Pokémon. I know they always say to not bring electronics, but kids find a way...so again, what do you all think about it?

I don't think it's appropriate for the wilderness and Scout outings, but it would be a great way for a Scout on a non-scout outing to get outside more.  I have downloaded the app, but haven't started playing yet.

Geocache?   Orienteering?   Stampbox?  Letterbox?  Scavenger hunt?  Poker Hike/Run?   Autocross for Bikes?  

Fantasy vs reality?   Real world vs  cartoon?   Batteries vs  feet?  

Perhaps this is another symptom of the downfall of the empire.  More entertainment, more gladiators and the serfs won't notice the lack of bread.....

It kind of works like a geocache kind of thing and I could see it working in a way where the Scouts could mark it on a map. However, the game does not allowed other players to interact....yet :)

I thought of one major negative...people leaving trails to chase down Pokémon....