Changes to Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills

I was told that B.S.A. didn't develop the WFA course.

I know some of the specialty outdoor organizations came up with their versions of WFA, But the Red Cross got a foundation for their course from a local chapter in the mountains of NC and the BSA. The standard 16 hour WFA was pretty much standardized by the BSA. National was the ones that got the experts together to come up with the course.

Interesting thing to me is this: the bulk of what was covered in my WFA class was stuff I learned in First Aid MB back in the day.

Why doesn't the BSA have their own WFA training that speaks directly to the needs of the program rather than some expensive "off the shelf" programs that may or may not take into consideration the needs of taking boys into the woods.  Other than basic First Class First Aid, a little more on transporting victims over long distances, and specialty issues like snake bites, and maybe a bit on rescue procedures, what more is there that is necessary to know.

I would think that someone on a trek would know where the cell phone coverage starts and stops so one doesn't need to know where the nearest civilization is, but where the closest coverage is, kind of thing would save a lot of rescue time.  Breathing and bleeding are the two important issues, the rest are either beyond the capability of being helpful (CPR, EPI, Snake bite, head trauma) or fairly non-life threatening, sprains, lacerations, broken bones, etc.

They do it for swim safety, boating safety, climbing safety, weather safety, why not WFA safety?  That would be a great annually required on-line training that I would do just to keep up-to-date, with the latest advancements on the subject.

Edited by Stosh
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been going on since at least 1989. Since then I went to camp after camp where mere presence at sessions earned "Scoutcraft"  MBs.   In 2015, the historic finality of the Merit Badge Counselor's

Seems like it is pretty weak though some counselors will try to beef up. The real problem is so many younger folks have weak camping skills take the watered down IOLS and think they are good to go. IM

I do not agree. Part of the BSA program issues stem from adults with no outdoors skills. They cannot pass on training to Scouts or supervise adventurous outings. Older boys can only do so much car cam

Interesting thing to me is this: the bulk of what was covered in my WFA class was stuff I learned in First Aid MB back in the day.

I haven't taken WFA but your comment resonates.   My First Aid MB from '76 was darn rigorous.  The first meeting with the counselor lasted 2 - 3 hours.   And we didn't attempt a single requirement.   We had an indepth conversation about first aid and its importance.   The counselor ensured I participated in the discussion as much as he did.  

That set the tone.   It took about two months to complete the MB.   The counselor was tough but fair, a superb instructor.   (He was also a committee member for our troop, and worked at the base hospital.  Everyone looked up to him.)   

I continue to benefit from his instruction.   The skills have come in handy every day since, especially when I was still serving in the military.

When I look back on the two toughest MBs to earn, First Aid and Lifesaving stand out.   Some MBs should be difficult to earn.  

I haven't taken WFA but your comment resonates.   My First Aid MB from '76 was darn rigorous.  The first meeting with the counselor lasted 2 - 3 hours.   And we didn't attempt a single requirement.   We had an indepth conversation about first aid and its importance.   The counselor ensured I participated in the discussion as much as he did.  

That set the tone.   It took about two months to complete the MB.   The counselor was tough but fair, a superb instructor.   (He was also a committee member for our troop, and worked at the base hospital.  Everyone looked up to him.)   

I continue to benefit from his instruction.   The skills have come in handy every day since, especially when I was still serving in the military.

When I look back on the two toughest MBs to earn, First Aid and Lifesaving stand out.   Some MBs should be difficult to earn.  

But you are describing actually earning the badge.

Yes.  But the rigor seems to be a thing of the past.

It's been going on since at least 1989. Since then I went to camp after camp where mere presence at sessions earned "Scoutcraft"  MBs.

In 2015, the historic finality of the Merit Badge Counselor's signature on the Blue Card went away with the new provision of the G2A empowering Scoutmasters to deny merit badges if the Scoutmaster determines that the Merit Badge could not have been earned.  So if there is a lack of rigor, we can't just point a finger at merit badge mill summer camps and "Merit Badge universities."   It's a Pogo thing.  We have met the enemy and he is us  or some of us.

• Upvote 3

It's been going on since at least 1989. Since then I went to camp after camp where mere presence at sessions earned "Scoutcraft"  MBs.

In 2015, the historic finality of the Merit Badge Counselor's signature on the Blue Card went away with the new provision of the G2A empowering Scoutmasters to deny merit badges if the Scoutmaster determines that the Merit Badge could not have been earned.  So if there is a lack of rigor, we can't just point a finger at merit badge mill summer camps and "Merit Badge universities."   It's a Pogo thing.  We have met the enemy and he is us  or some of us.

Yeah, but action under 7.0.4.7 isn't something that should be done on a whim, or used to interject "additional requirements" into the badge.  Its reserved for situations where a boy claims to have, for example, earned the Camping merit badge, when there's no possible way that boy had enough camping nights.  Not because some adult leader thinks he "knows better" or feels the requirements as written are insufficient to warrant a badge.

Plus, there's a documented appeal process that the Scout can use if he feels the Scoutmaster is being an unreasonable jerk.

Edited by MrBob
  • Upvote 1