Training requirements for Wood Badge

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My WB course was the least Patrol Method, Boy-Led scouting I ever experienced.  I pointed out during one of the PLCs that the Sm was supposed to intervene only in matters of BSA policy and safety, and

I find in my OA Lodge quite a few of the WB folks copping an attitude with us just plain long serving Scouters. A bit of a turn off. I am tempted to make some woggles and a song just for fun. Our rece

I agree with Stosh! One good thing about getting older is I am OK with disagreeing with other people. And I am getting pickier about where I want to invest my (decreasing) time. Woodbadge or that inte

And that sad thing is I used to LOVE leadership training. I took a number of long courses in my time. But it seems to me that the traditional Boy Scout methods, oath, and law is enough. It works if you work it.

If you have previous leadership/management/organizational training in the military, college, or business world, this is not taken into account.  

No beads?   Then it is assumed you, the non-WBer, have no experience, no credibility, no self initiative for improvement and are otherwise content to provide substandard service to scouting because of your willful non-attendance at WB.   

Lest I be accused of exaggerating, I have had WBers tell me these things with a straight face.

A rather remarkable recruiting program, eh what?  :)

Edited by desertrat77

But then there's the old WB people.  They don't have the right stuff and need to take the real 21st Century stuff to be cool.

No thanks, I'm doing just fine with the training I've gotten.  Used to irk them that I am allowed to wear the beads and tartan and not be in the cool group.  But that's been solved.  I have no idea were my beads and woggle are.  I wear the troop necker, but still get a rise out of the few that think the beads and woggle need to be worn with the tartan necker.

But then there's the old WB people.  They don't have the right stuff and need to take the real 21st Century stuff to be cool.

No thanks, I'm doing just fine with the training I've gotten.  Used to irk them that I am allowed to wear the beads and tartan and not be in the cool group.  But that's been solved.  I have no idea were my beads and woggle are.  I wear the troop necker, but still get a rise out of the few that think the beads and woggle need to be worn with the tartan necker.

Stosh, that's the kicker!   It still boggles to the mind to consider that a WBer who went thru the old training was suddenly considered "untrained" when the WB 21 course rolled around.

Somewhat ironic too, given that many old WBers went thru courses that were a) by invitation only and b) much more rigorous that today's WB.

Then there's the old WB people.  They didn't learn about the eleven Leadership Skills in the second version starting in 1972 and still need to take the last quarter 20th Century Course to be cool -- or perhaps the third version.

The WB world ended in 1972, don;t you know?  Ask the departed.

I follow the uniform rules as best I can understand them, irrational as some rules seem to me.  That way I don't feel silly reciting the Scout Law..  

Not sure why my following the rules upsets some as I don't get after them for not following the rules.  I even ignore the Scouters with all the various pins on their collar points (but stay away in electrical storms) or the ones with nine rows of knots (custom shirts with lowered pockets).  Different strokes for different folks, I say.  De gustibus non disputandum est.  Some like Scotch.   

• Upvote 1

I don't know if it's my upbringing or my aging loss of hearing, but ignoring people has become quite handy at times.  I like pie with my coffee.  Ala mode?  Sure, why not.  Oh, looky, a squirrel....!  (Peter Principle 101)

I even ignore the Scouters with all the various pins on their collar points (but stay away in electrical storms)

Tahawk - Nice!   Even pulled me out of the Lurkers' Forum.

I didn't want to hijack the thread into another anti-WouldBadger discussion.  But the very fact that they waive any training or experience requirement and try to suck in ANY DAMN BODY THAT THEY CAN GET does emphasize that WB is about either indoctrination or money.

If WB was once 'the pinnacle of Scout training', it ain't no more.

Would you like fries with those beads?

I don't know if it's my upbringing or my aging loss of hearing, but ignoring people has become quite handy at times.  I like pie with my coffee.  Ala mode?  Sure, why not.  Oh, looky, a squirrel....!  (Peter Principle 101)

I agree with Stosh! One good thing about getting older is I am OK with disagreeing with other people. And I am getting pickier about where I want to invest my (decreasing) time. Woodbadge or that intensive year Bible Study or work on that foreign language? And I don't need MORE contacts; in fact I wouldn't mind pruning some back.

Yeah, I don't really want to start a WB war. I have seen some great folks with beads and it has done some great good to some people who would have not gotten some leadership training any other way. For me the jury is still out whether it makes one a better scouter. 

• Upvote 2

I  can't fathom the new all in one WoodBadge with Power Point presentations inside.   I did a Walking Wood Badge back in 1978 where we were taught the 11 Leadership Skills.  Prior to the new WB the whole course was done OUTDOORS!  You slept outside, you did your own cooking outside, and your training was outside.  Of course lets not forget there was Boy Scout WoodBadge and Cub Scout WoodBadge, 2 totally different courses.  Fortunately nobody has ever mentioned to me that my Beads weren't any good and I needed to be retrained.

• Upvote 1

Our Council WB is tent city, and "School of the Forest" pavilions.   Bugler is optional (depends on the CD).  Sometimes, bring your own tent, sometimes, use the summer camp tents that haven't been taken down yet.   Indoors?   Only the dining hall for meals, unless it is done at  the "optional site", then it is Patrol Cooking....   Rain?  better bring your poncho.  Yes, we do have shower houses, as per state requirements. 

WB worth it?  As in all things Scouty, "it depends" , and I don't mean the commercial version.  All Scouting is local, the work is done by whoever shows up,  you will know the man's heart by the work of his hands,  etc.

If the course staff don't believe in the Patrol Method, Boy Led,  Train'em, Trust'em , Let'em  Lead stuff, it won't be the same in Duluth as in Manassas or in Salem.    

Yes indeedy, everybody's kilometerage will vary.