Neglected Eagle Projects

By state law, any abandoned cemeteries that are reclaimed and cleaned up become the maintenance responsibility of the county in which they are located.  I had a boy going to clean up an abandoned cemetery and went to the county board for permission and to be the Eagle project beneficiary.  Wasn't going to cost them a penny to clean it up.  

They said "Sure!" then when the boy went out to the cemetery 2 weeks later to begin a preliminary evaluation as to what needed to be done, the cemetery had been reclaimed by the county.  I don't know what their problem was, but it was pretty much a politically motivated agenda operating somewhere along the line.  Fortunately it was in the early stages of development so the boy just picked another project. 

By the way, reclaiming abandoned cemeteries can be a major problem for some counties.  A gentleman and I were reclaiming a county Potters Field and found the county had sold off half the cemetery for land development and some poor sap had about 100 graves in his back yard.  The other part of the abandoned cemetery had a paved road over 16 other graves located there. 

I've often wondered if that cemetery the boy wanted to fix up might have exposed some shenanigans along the way, too.

Edited by Stosh
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I visited the location of my eagle project 20 years after its completion. At the time, it was a relatively unknown trail. The work we did used only wood from the area, there were no signs or plaques e

I doubt many Death Bed Eagles are gonna worry about it...they are off to College and other pursuits...besides the nation cannot seem to maintain our bridges and highways why single out the poor scout.

In our troop most of the projects are done for city or county parks, schools or for some private organizations. It is on their property so it is their responsibility to maintain it. I should add that

Posted Images