Son went to camp on crutches

The SMC does not need to be the last thing prior to the BOR.  It can happen anytime and if the boy is smart, may have 2 or 3 to make sure everything is in order.  I do SMC's all the time.  I have one just for BOR, but other SMC's occur every time I interact with a scout.  The majority of my time is interacting with PL's, but there are a number of times, on a hike, around a camp fire, etc. where I will strike up a SMC type conversation with the boy next to me.  Getting the SMC requirement could get signed off 2 or 3 times while the boy is working on a rank.  They all know that it is wise to check with me prior to BOR because those that don't have problems.  I know what the boards are going to ask, think, do, and they don't,  Touching base with me is a major help with the process.  Those that don't choose that, generally don't find it as smooth sailing as those that do.

By the way, I do not have a structured SMC and it is not a formal process.  I can do one at the drop of a hat that can last 5 minutes or an hour, whatever the boy needs.

• Upvote 1

Someone asked what son's Eagle project was...

He rebuilt and rehung a sliding barn door, also removed and replaced the railing for a place that provides hippo therapy (horses) for people with disabilities. He himself did the horse therapy when he was 6 years old at this place. Giving back. The door measures 10' x12' and was done with carsidling, tongue and groove pine set onto a frame made by scratch. All of this was done in February with negative temps. Fortunately, the barn door was an inner door and all were protected from the elements although it did drop down bitterly cold when the old door came down. Everyone else was wearing long John's and hats and gloves. Door looks beautiful and slides like a charm.

• Upvote 1

The SMC does not need to be the last thing prior to the BOR.  It can happen anytime and if the boy is smart, may have 2 or 3 to make sure everything is in order.  I do SMC's all the time.  I have one just for BOR, but other SMC's occur every time I interact with a scout.  The majority of my time is interacting with PL's, but there are a number of times, on a hike, around a camp fire, etc. where I will strike up a SMC type conversation with the boy next to me.  Getting the SMC requirement could get signed off 2 or 3 times while the boy is working on a rank.  They all know that it is wise to check with me prior to BOR because those that don't have problems.  I know what the boards are going to ask, think, do, and they don't,  Touching base with me is a major help with the process.  Those that don't choose that, generally don't find it as smooth sailing as those that do.

By the way, I do not have a structured SMC and it is not a formal process.  I can do one at the drop of a hat that can last 5 minutes or an hour, whatever the boy needs.

I agree, Stosh. I notice the Scoutmaster couldn't schedule because he wouldn't be at the next meeting. I never do conferences for an Eagle candidate at troop meetings. There are too many distractions. I would rather do it at during an outing, or at my house or the scout's house (with my wife or the scout's parent in the next room as a second adult). I look at the conference as my opportunity to help the scout be ready for his BOR. 

• Upvote 1

15 is not a young eagle, considering one could earn eagle before they are even 12 if they join when they are 10 1/2. It takes 17 months, that's it.  Of course, it will probably take most longer.  My son seems to be on track for earning Eagle at 14, still has personal management, fitness, & family life, all of which he has started, and a project to do.  His goal is to have is Eagle Court of Honor before he goes to the National Jamboree in July of 2017 (he'll be 15 in March). 

I know a scout who earned Eagle at 12, he might have been young, but nobody would look at this scout and say he wasn't Eagle material.

Personally, I think 15 is close to the ideal age for an Eagle--both of my boys got their Eagles at that age.  It gives them a chance to give back to the Troop. 

• Upvote 1