I've just been pointing out that the Hooters brand could quite easily be considered inconsistent with an organization whose brand is outdoor skills, character development, and moral and ethical decision making.

The same could be said of just about EVERY corporate sponsor in the US.  Do you want us to "ban" everyone except REI, Gander Mountain, and Cabelas from volunteering?

Edited by MrBob
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go for it. I think the more society mixes, the more tolerant it becomes.   Back in the 80s, in the UK, I was in scouts, we had a weekend camp for our troop at a small campsite owned by the municipal

I see no issues with it.  They were decently dressed and appropriate.  This is a non-issue.

Gosh! Seems to have kicked off a bit!     I'm sorry you've chosen to take that interpretation. I'm a fellow scout, you are my brother*, rest assured I meant no offence. Having moral values, and tr

Posted Images

AHA!   There is the real trouble!   The Restaurant Girls were out of uniform!  

Every CSDC I have ever staffed or attended, the working adults, and even the Den Walkers wore Camp Uniform!   Special Tshirt and Cap!   All the pictures I see of these offending young women show them in Hooters shirts, jackets and caps!   If they were to be staffing the camp,  the Hooters logo stuff should not have been in so plain view, if any....

I think the only exception to the Camp Uniform would be for "guest specials", such as when the FIremen come with their gear, or the year the Army Corps of Engineers came to teach building ... things like that.  Were these young ladies frying potatoes or serving pizza? 

If these young "big sisters"  were there to staff the camp, in whatever role, then the Restaurant should have not been their "cover".   The CSDC should have been their "cover". 

But Hooters was not staffing the camp they were sponsoring it and providing an opportunity for their employees to volunteer to help with the program they sponsored.

Your daughter's troop and the leaders made a specific decision to attend their event. I assume if one of the parents had concerns they could have held their child back.  The parents sending their boys to this day camp with the Hooters women weren't given that same consideration.

I agree.  Parents and unit leaders should have been told in advance that this event was sponsored by and promoting Hooters restaurants.

Hooters is a place people can bring their families to.  And people DO.  Those who complained (the mommies) obviously never set foot inside one.  They sell beer.  SO WHAT?  So does Applebee's, Pizzeria Uno, etc.  I'm sure none of them serve minors.  Hooters gave away visors, not calendars, not skimpy panties, nothing that would be objectionable.   

I think the media did an excellent job, intended or not, of making fools of these complainers.  These same women probably have NO problem with the school nurse handing out condoms to their sons, but they get all up in arms about THIS????

This gets my often-awarded "OH PUH-LEEZ!"

What the hell is happening to our society?

Edited by frankpalazzi
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if I could get the local Hells Angels chapter together to do an Automotive Maintenance merit badge clinic...

I'd bet they'd do it.   Bikers enjoy tweaking peoples' whiskers, keeping everyone guessing.   I've found that hardcore bikers can be approachable as well as articulate and respectful.   In the right circumstances.

The BSA would never approve it, due to the documented lawlessness of the HA.   But it's an interesting thought.

""But Hooters was not staffing the camp they were sponsoring it and providing an opportunity for their employees to volunteer to help with the program they sponsored.""

But it was a Scout Camp, and they were "helping"  with the Scout camp,  and the restaurant gave some money (?) to support the Scout camp, should not the Staff helpers dress the part?  They were not Staffing the restaurant.  Promotion, perhaps, but we always said thanks to our sponsors/supporters with mention in our CampNotes and such, not by allowing folks to not be "in uniform".  Unless they were doing their thing especially.  Firemen, model airplane fliers,  Walmart trucker,  homing pigeon demo, State Police helicopter,  state park Scales and Tales come to mind.  All these folks were there to promote THEIR thing FOR the Cubs.   These restauranteurs  were there, I perceived, to BE CSDC staff helpers.    

There's the difference. 

If a Playboy bunny came to staff the Nature Pavilion, and she was not dressed in her "work" clothes (!), but appropriate to a CSDC Staffer, and was knowledgeable about the subject , where's the problem ?

The CSDC  Scout folks here allowed the Hooter girls to be restaurant promoters rather than Camp Staff, it now seems to me. 

Sorry for creating a duplicate thread. :o

In that thread, I asked if all volunteers at this Cub camp were YP trained and BSA members with required background checks and, of course, those Health forms. If so, the Hooters people were BSA approved. If not, Denver Council has some explaining to do.

From camp photos, the attire is a non-issue. If there is a concern that Hooters should not give out company/organization hats/promotional material, then the same should apply to other outside groups  volunteering at scout activities.

I predict next year, more Dads will find the time to volunteer at scout camp. :rolleyes:

Disclaimers:

- I have not been in a Hooters restaurant ...yet. Perhaps if I tell Mrs. Schiff that they support Scouting.

- Back in the day, the first Playboy I saw was at my local scout camp.

Funny you should say that....

There's a scout campsite called Tolmers just outside London which I used to go to a lot as a scout as it was hikeable from where my troop met.

During the Second World War it had been requisitioned by the army as a training camp and so had a number of old pill boxes and similar dotted round the edges. 

I remember investigating the interior of one as a kid and finding someone had left similar magazines!

If a Playboy bunny came to staff the Nature Pavilion, and she was not dressed in her "work" clothes

She'd be dressed as a rabbit no? Perfectly suitable for a nature pavilion no? ;)

Funny you should say that....

You just don't seem to get dirty mags in the woods anymore*. I blame the internet.

* Although, maybe I'm not looking for them anymore, and I don't go to the woods as much.

My popular culture IQ being as anemic as it is, I don't get the reference. What is that? Or don't I want to know?

It is a reference to a PG movie from a few years back. I am just surprised no mom got offended with the phrase. They seem oversensitive about the women helping at camp.

For what it's worth, we had some Washington Redskins help out at camp one year. They wore their gear and logos, not scout gear. No one complained as far as I am aware.